Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2017, 11:24 PM
Moderator Manager

The Defenders General Discussion #1

+

{OP to follow}

This is the thread to discuss the show in general so if you're done watching all 8 episodes, feel free to discuss the episodes here. We can post here without the tags.

Let's go on a clumsy cute bestie trip!
Already miss our days in Cloud Planet.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:49 PM
Moderator Manager

I've only seen the first 3 episodes, I'll watch maybe 3 more later and finish the rest tomorrow.

I thought the first 3 episodes were really slow, especially the first 2 eps. Nothing happened.

Just posting my general reaction so far regarding storylines, acting, cast, etc:

So far I like how they all came together as we see in the start that they're all off doing their own thing: Danny was in Vietnam with Colleen, Luke was in jail, Matt is retired as vigilante and focusing on being a lawyer, Jessica is still a drunk. As is in Iron Fist, The Hand is still pretty much in New York and is doing their shady stuff there so that makes them the villain (still for this show).

Acting-wise, I like them all but most especially Sigourney Weaver & Elodie Yung. Charlie, Krysten, Mike & Finn are still very much in-character and I enjoyed the dynamic of Matt/Jessica & Luke/Danny (though I hope to see more of Jessica/Luke, Matt/Danny & Jessica/Danny too).

Negative rants: I may have to watch more to nitpick but so far, just these first 3 episodes as they are somewhat slow (although ep 3 is my fave so far because of Elektra, hehe). I hope the rest of the eps pick up soon.

Old 08-19-2017, 04:31 AM
Fan Forum Star

I am watching this today with my boyfriend I cannot wait!!
Old 08-19-2017, 07:37 AM
Master Fan

I am gonna be very honest. And I am not gonna be popular. The show was highly disappointing but not on the level of Iron Fist bad (Sorry to the fans of that show). I think it could have been better. Despite my issues with Daredevil Season 2 and Luke Cage Season 1 they slightly edged out The Defenders.

I feel like the first 3 episodes were way too slow. Sort of found its footing in Episodes 4-6, 7 was half and half, but when off the rails in the last episode.

The only enjoyment I think I got out of the 4 member team were the interactions between Matt and Jessica. Colleen Wing continues to be a stand out and Misty Knight was ok in her scenes. I'm pretty luke warm when it comes to Luke Cage and I don't care after two shows now for Finn Jones's take on Danny Rand. To the point that I won't be watching the 2nd season of Iron Fist.

Overall on a scale from 1-10. I'm giving this a 6.5 out of 10.

Last edited by The Survivor; 08-20-2017 at 04:21 AM
Old 08-19-2017, 06:20 PM
Moderator Manager

I just watched 3 more. 2 more episodes to go which I'll watch later. I don't want this show to end. I've been enjoying it so much.

I'll drop by later with a proper post but episode 6 ripped my heart out and was a shocker! I was not ready for that Matt & Elektra flashback. OMG.

James, nothing wrong with some criticism of the show. That's always welcome.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:24 AM
Master Fan

Thanks I fully expected people to be out with the torches saying I'm a hater. I didn't hate the show just half of it kind should have been better. :/

Maybe I'll give the show a watch over. We'll see if my opinion changes.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:57 PM
Moderator Manager

It's perfectly fine to critique the show as not everyone will be enjoying it.

I'm now done with the show and I get the impression that they left the ending open-ended for a possible season 2.

Also, it makes me think of the implications of this story to the other shows:

1. Jessica Jones S2 - probably not much but at least Jessica, Trish & Malcolm are aware of the Hand's existence.
2. Luke Cage S2 - probably only to a small extent, especially with Misty Knight now that she doesn't have a right arm. I think she might be taken off the police force. I didn't read further into the character but all I know is
Spoiler:
I'm also guessing Claire comes back and continues her relationship with Luke. They have to deal with Black Mariah now.
3. Iron Fist S2 - a lot, especially because Danny is the key to open that dragon skull tunnel. Also, both him & Colleen have decided to stay in NYC. There's a shot at the end of episode 8 where for a moment we think it's Matt on top of roof but it's actually Danny because the hand glowed. Maybe he becomes vigilante now (and gets a costume too) since Matt is "dead"? Bakuto is also dead although in S1 he is presumed dead.
4. Daredevil S3 - A LOT. Sometimes I feel like I was watching a new season of DD when I watch this show. Both Foggy & Karen knows that Matt died. Wherever Matt is, he's with nuns who will most likely nurse him back to health. I don't know how long he will be gone or how Foggy & Karen will believe that he's dead but eventually he'll turn up. Elektra might be alive.
Spoiler:

Old 08-28-2017, 09:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

I didn't know that about comic Misty. Cool!