Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 10:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Sorry about that, Tos! Somehow it doesn't seem right that a team from Nashville beats a team from Vancouver in Hockey! *I'm just being silly*

Tennis (Australian Open)

Poor Andy Roddick. He just can't figure out Roger Federer's number.

Serena Williams is in the final.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Dedicated Fan

Even President Obama wants Pittsburgh to win the Super Bowl Sunday.

I just heard him quoted as saying:

Pres. Obama: Other than the Bears the Steelers are the next closest thing to my heart.

Awe!

Mitch, you have to love President Obama all the more after hearing this!

You know if Pittsburgh wins this Sunday they will have the most Super Bowl rings in history of the NFL with 7.
That's fat, man! What a successful franchise in a wonderful city.

Go Pittsburgh!

And get back here, Michelle!

Note: I have talked to her a tiny bit offline (real life friend connections) but I still want her back here! lol

Last edited by EverPotter; 01-30-2009 at 05:58 AM
Old 01-30-2009, 07:05 AM
Elite Fan

With all due respect to Michelle, I have to root for Arizona because I can't be for Pittsburgh.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
With all due respect to Michelle, I have to root for Arizona because I can't be for Pittsburgh.

I have to agree. I like to root for the underdog (unless the Giants are playing, of course!) Sorry Barack and Michelle!

ETA: Final of Australian Open: Federer/Nadal.
Been there..... done that!

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 01-30-2009 at 09:06 AM
Old 01-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Elite Fan

I like Kurt Warner, so I'm rooting for him to get another championship.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Matty, why does it appear that Liverpool is in a panic about losing the first place position. I don't understand how that works. Don't they have plenty of time to regain the lead?
A bit late this answer...

Many paniced a bit because we've never been in thay position in the new year for about 20 years. We haven't won the league since 1990, and the horrible Mancs are catching up with us in terms of having the most league titles ever. (Liverpool have 18, and Man United have 17). Our bad run came at the same time as Man United really hit top form, and even though there are loads of matches left, many have lost the faith.

We haven't won a single league match in January, and our play has been bad most of the time. Meanwhile the Manc bastards have walzed over everyone in their way. We're now two points behind them, and they have one match in hand. It's not looking bright at the moment...

Our soon to be twenty year run without a league title is really getting to most of us; It's affecting the atmosphere in the stadium, and that seems to be affecting the players. However, Sunday we're playing Chelsea, who are right in front of us in the second spot, and a win against them might make us reagain a bit of believe in ourselves.

Still, as a Liverpool fan, these are realatively dark days. People are turning on the manager, a few of the players and fans are fighting amongst eachother.

These are the days it's nice to look back at the best (in terns of excitement) match ever. The Champions League final 2005. Liverpool against AC Milan. At least we have five titles in the most prestigeous club tournament in the world. It'll be a very long time until Manchester United catch up with us there.

CL Final 2005 with David Bowie - Heroes

We were 3-0 dowm at half time, scored three in six minutes in the second half, and won the match in a penalty shootout. It might sound strange for people who don't understand what following a team with all of you heart means, but that was the best night of my life that.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
We were 3-0 dowm at half time, scored three in six minutes in the second half, and won the match in a penalty shootout. It might sound strange for people who don't understand what following a team with all of you heart means, but that was the best night of my life that.
No, that doesn't sound strange at all. I can truly understand how that would be exhilarating and wonderful for you. I wish Liverpool the best just so that you will have another great night, Matty.

ETA: Serena Williams won the Australian Open. That's becoming boring as well!

ETA:Funny joke by Jay Leno last night....talking about Kurt Warner.
Quote:
You know..Kurt Warner is the third oldest quarterback in history to play in the Superbowl. The problem is..this is a bad year for senior citizens to win anything.
*I guess he was referring to John McCain*

ETA: Raphi, I hope that Donovan hasn't brought Bayern Munich bad luck! lol

ETA: Tos, the Rangers suck! But how about those Devils.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 01-31-2009 at 07:50 AM
Old 01-31-2009, 09:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm double posting because I don't want to add another ETA.

Matty, You're the only one who would understand or appreciate this. I've complained about Roy Hobson (although my affection for him has grown since he's realized that Clint Dempsey should start).
Roy still has a problem substituting when necessary. Erik Nevland has been neglected on the bench and ever now and then...Roy will put him in the last 10 minutes.

Today....(I'm still watching)....Roy actually came to his senses and took out one of his favorite incompetent starters shortly after the start of the second half. In comes Erik Nevland. Two minutes later he scores and we're up 2-0! As I'm typing he does it again...3-Nil Fulham! Such a good finisher.
I hope that he's gained a starting spot...he really deserves it!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:08 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
ETA: Raphi, I hope that Donovan hasn't brought Bayern Munich bad luck! lol
i was out last night so i missed the match but i doubt their loss had anything to do with donovan maybe this is gonna turn out to be good for him - if noone scores, he might get the chance to play more

*not that i want bayern to score that often anyway*

danny & mindy

Old 02-01-2009, 08:40 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by raphi1860 (View Post)
:- if noone scores, he might get the chance to play more
Good thinking!

Tennis

Nadal has definitely figured out Federer's number.

Matty, I know that you're eagerly anticipating Liverpool/Chelsea match today. I'm rooting for you!

Is anyone going to or throwing a Super bowl party today?

ETA: Matty, that must be one physical match! 6 yellow cards and 1 red card have already been given and it's not over yet!

TORRES!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 02-01-2009 at 10:55 AM
Old 02-01-2009, 04:30 PM
Master Fan

Hopefully all the NFL fans are enjoying Superbowl Sunday.

What do we all think of Michael Phelps being caught doing pot? Is the media over-blowing this one or what?

Here's a huge, huge article about it: Phelps acknowledges photo using pot pipe - Yahoo! Sports

I agree with what Dara Torres said: this is no way diminishes the amazing feat he did at the Olympics. It's a mistake, a stupid one, but he's a young guy. He's going to make mistakes. It would be remarkable if he didn't make a few.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood
Old 02-01-2009, 05:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
What do we all think of Michael Phelps being caught doing pot? Is the media over-blowing this one or what?
Michael Phelps dedicated so much of his life to his sport....so much hard work. With this hard work plus his natural talent and body type....he achieved everything that he set out to achieve. I guess a lot more is expected of him because of his achievement and notoriety. He is, however, 23 years old! He's human and wants to have fun. The press is over-blowing this.If Michael were using a more serious drug..then I would understand and I realize that smoking pot is illegal in this country (although it shouldn't be) but if he lived in another country (like Holland) it wouldn't even be an issue. I believe that we should leave Michael alone.

ETA: The Super Bowl was unbelievable. What an exciting finish.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 02-01-2009 at 09:09 PM
Old 02-02-2009, 07:01 AM
Elite Fan

I believe that Michael Phelps' situation is being completely blown out of proportion. He's 23, so it's no big deal to me that he was smoking pot.

The Superbowl was great overall, but the end left a bad taste in my mouth. Kurt Warner's arm was coming forward, so that shouldn't have been a fumble. The worst thing to me is that they didn't even review it.

ETA: I wasn't going to comment on this until I saw a sportscaster say basically the same thing...It seemed pretty obvious to me that the Cardinals were playing both the Steelers and the officiating crew. I went back and counted: Arizon had 10 drives. On 5 of them, they got at least one major penalty called them (holding, personal foul, etc.) If you throw out the last, desperation drive, that means that Arizona got a major penalty 55% of the time. On Pittsburgh's field goal drive in the third quarter, Arizona got three very questionable personal fouls called on them. I'll give them the facemask, because Cromartie did grab the facemask, but Holmes had a much more aggregious facemask, but nothing was called. When the offensive player does it, it's a 'stiffarm.' But the roughing the passer and unnecessary roughness penalties were horrible...especially considering that Harrison threw an Arizona player down and punched him repeatedly without being ejected.

Oh, and that 'chop block' call was horrendous too. That rule is intended to keep linemen from chopping the legs out from under a fully engaged defender. Arizona's lineman barely had a hand on the defender when James cut blocked him.

Last edited by The Crow; 02-02-2009 at 08:35 AM
Old 02-02-2009, 07:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
The Superbowl was great overall, but the end left a bad taste in my mouth. Kurt Warner's arm was coming forward, so that shouldn't have been a fumble. The worst thing to me is that they didn't even review it.
I don't really understand the rules of the game so I didn't understand what the issue was. Is the rule that it is only considered a fumble if his arm didn't go forward? If his arm went forward....it should have been considered an incomplete pass?

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 02-02-2009 at 09:39 AM
Old 02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
Dedicated Fan

Michelle, I'm so glad your Pittsburgh won! What a game, what an incredible game!

The history in Pittsburgh for football is rich and everlasting and now, they overtook the Cowboys AND San Francisco as having the most Super Bowl wins in history, at 6. YAY Pittsburgh, what a wonderfully successful franchise with TRUE FANS.

I think Arizona has two fans, seriously. LOL.

I like Warner too but I love Big Ben, what a guy!

I know so many people who pulled for Pitt because of their history and respect for their history. I hate to say it but Arizona is just not the same. It's not... the Steel Curtain Steelers are rich in history and respect.

The better team won, Pittsburgh on paper was better than Arizona by a mile and like sports-minded, Michelle, predicted months ago, Defense wins championships and that is why she thought the Steelers were going all the way. She was right ON!

I think it's so cool how she was convinced the Steelers were winning it again this season and that's exactly what took place!

They reversed that call, said he didn't fumble it. If anything Pitt got screwed in the opening drive of the game since Big Ben's knees were NOT down, that was a touchdown and they said it wasn't. They only got 3 instead.

PITT WINS! Takes over as the most successful team in NFL history!

ETA: Speaking of calls. They didn't have to call that offensive holding in the end zone either and they did, which gave the safety. Same can be said that Pitt had to deal with the officiating as well. It all evened out and the best team on paper and on the field won.

Congrats Michelle! I know your SN is Wilpen, a city from Western PA not far from Pitt as your family ties are so strong there, you and your entire family and friends have to be so happy. Congrats, sweetie!

Last edited by EverPotter; 02-02-2009 at 04:44 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread