Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2019, 05:52 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Riverdale Season 3 Episode 9 - Chapter 44: No Exit

I hate to say it, but I think Veronica and Reggie have way more chemistry than Veronica and Archie. I typically never care about real life romance between actors. But I really think in this case the chemistry is translating nicely on the screen. This is odd for me because typically I establish pairings/ships very early on and never usually change my mind. In this case, I really could be on board with Veronica and Reggie. Maybe it’s because out of my three ships (Bughead, Choni, Varchie) Varchie is in third place. I don’t know, I could see myself supporting Veronica and Reggie but I’m still on the fence. I guess I’ll wait and see how the storyline plays out. I might change my mind the second Veronica and Archie have their next scene together too. To be continued.

Anyway, as a rule, this episode was pretty good.

I’m all for spiritual (and psychological) angles of any kind so I appreciated the Archie storyline. Even if he was dumber than a stump going out into the Canadian wilderness knowing he was warned about bear sightings. I just laughed when he was warned about bears and two seconds later he leaves with his dog unprotected, lol.

His visions are clearly an attempt to hit the reset button on the character. He was experiencing a literal rebirth which is a good thing. The dream sequences demonstrated his greatest weaknesses, and Archie was essentially killing those weaknesses. After slaying the BH and Hiram, he needed to murder his own good nature (aka naive side if even endearing side). No way is he dead. Then again, the message is that he died so he can be reborn again. Sort of like the Phoenix rising. I just hope this new version of Archie is a wiser, less naive version instead of a dark, hardened version. The end result should be positive but this is Riverdale so we’ll see.

The weakness of the episode is that we didn’t get answers to what went on during the quarantine and why it was lifted. It was strange. So what was Hiram’s plan? The other weird thing is we see Pop Tate in the speakeasy when not too long ago he was telling Veronica he wouldn’t put up with criminal activity. For that matter, Veronica is okay with her business crossing a few lines. How did Jug and FP get back to Riverdale or Fred for that matter?

Poor Betty trying to protect the refugees from the Sisters of Quiet Mercy only for the end result being the Farm as their new home. Nuns bailed out (Hiram is everywhere) then sacrificed their lives, weird deal. The Fangs situation is weird too. I understand why Jughead wanted to give him a break due to his mother but then he kicks him out only to let him back in (going undercover). I get that Cheryl and Toni weren’t exactly clean this episode but it sucks he kicked them out. I love how they kept the jackets though, LOL. This could turn out better because we’ll hopefully receive more Choni alone scenes. Plus, they have the mansion which sets up awesome scenes. They won’t be hanging out with the Serpents all the time. Alone, mansion scenes, let’s do this.

Anyway, Archie was resurrected in this one and I find it intriguing.

Last points:

- It’s interesting that Archie was attacked by a bear because it didn’t develop out of thin air. Bear attacks took place in the Comics.

- Star Wars was implemented nicely in this one when Jughead compared Archie to Luke.

- Evelyn was in this episode and no one had a seizure for the first time. Progress.

- I loved when Josie told Veronica that she either gets things straightened out with her family or she’s done with the headlining job.

- Where the heck did Ethel go? She was side-by-side with Betty helping the refugees escape and in this one she was nowhere to be found.

- Choni catburglaring stuff was fun.

- I just realized that Archie did have a job which was clearing the trails. So that’s why he had to go out but why didn’t he bring a weapon to protect himself? His fists don’t count when we’re talking Grizzly bears.

- I don’t trust Fangs at all. I think it’s possible he joined the Gargoyle Gang after initially getting kicked out of the Serpents. I see betrayal coming.

Good episode. Finally caught up and ready for tonight’s all new!

Last edited by jediwands; 01-23-2019 at 06:01 AM
Old 01-23-2019, 06:45 AM
Elite Fan

Comic Book Cover of the Day: John Carter: The End #4 Cover D by Juan Doe

Old 01-23-2019, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^ Great Cover. His lower body isn’t visible. Nice touch.
Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Riverdale Season 3 Episode 9 - Chapter 44: No Exit

I hate to say it, but I think Veronica and Reggie have way more chemistry than Veronica and Archie. I typically never care about real life romance between actors. But I really think in this case the chemistry is translating nicely on the screen. This is odd for me because typically I establish pairings/ships very early on and never usually change my mind. In this case, I really could be on board with Veronica and Reggie. Maybe it’s because out of my three ships (Bughead, Choni, Varchie) Varchie is in third place. I don’t know, I could see myself supporting Veronica and Reggie but I’m still on the fence. I guess I’ll wait and see how the storyline plays out. I might change my mind the second Veronica and Archie have their next scene together too. To be continued.
I've never really felt like Archie had chemistry with anyone that he's been paired with, so it's not hard for her and Reggie to have better chemistry. Her relationship with Reggie is odd though. He pretty much hops to and does whatever she asks of him, and has been this entire season for no real reason.

Quote:
I’m all for spiritual (and psychological) angles of any kind so I appreciated the Archie storyline. Even if he was dumber than a stump going out into the Canadian wilderness knowing he was warned about bear sightings. I just laughed when he was warned about bears and two seconds later he leaves with his dog unprotected, lol.
To be fair, when is there not a bear sighting in Canada?

Quote:
His visions are clearly an attempt to hit the reset button on the character. He was experiencing a literal rebirth which is a good thing. The dream sequences demonstrated his greatest weaknesses, and Archie was essentially killing those weaknesses. After slaying the BH and Hiram, he needed to murder his own good nature (aka naive side if even endearing side). No way is he dead. Then again, the message is that he died so he can be reborn again. Sort of like the Phoenix rising. I just hope this new version of Archie is a wiser, less naive version instead of a dark, hardened version. The end result should be positive but this is Riverdale so we’ll see.
You say naive side. I say stupidity. Ultimately we're talking about the same thing. His character flaw that hold him back is the propensity to fly off the handle and boldly react to situations without completely thinking them through. It was on big time display at his trial, and it's colored his entire life up until now. Hopefully he's deranged walk through the dream world will result in him finally thinking before he acts...especially thinking about the repercussions of his actions instead of just blindly bulling ahead.

Quote:
The weakness of the episode is that we didn’t get answers to what went on during the quarantine and why it was lifted. It was strange. So what was Hiram’s plan? The other weird thing is we see Pop Tate in the speakeasy when not too long ago he was telling Veronica he wouldn’t put up with criminal activity. For that matter, Veronica is okay with her business crossing a few lines. How did Jug and FP get back to Riverdale or Fred for that matter?
I agree. We got all this buildup, and had that big cliffhanger, and when we come back the quarantine is over and done with? Lame. It's like they thought this idea would be cool, then they read some flames about how innately stupid it was, so they just changed the storyline and hoped we'd forget.

Quote:
Poor Betty trying to protect the refugees from the Sisters of Quiet Mercy only for the end result being the Farm as their new home. Nuns bailed out (Hiram is everywhere) then sacrificed their lives, weird deal. The Fangs situation is weird too. I understand why Jughead wanted to give him a break due to his mother but then he kicks him out only to let him back in (going undercover). I get that Cheryl and Toni weren’t exactly clean this episode but it sucks he kicked them out. I love how they kept the jackets though, LOL. This could turn out better because we’ll hopefully receive more Choni alone scenes. Plus, they have the mansion which sets up awesome scenes. They won’t be hanging out with the Serpents all the time. Alone, mansion scenes, let’s do this.
I don't really understand why it took Betty so long to try and find other housing for the refugees. It seemed like they'd been living with her for a while, and many of them seemed to be wearing the same clothes they had on at the loony bin. It seems like the housing situation is something that should've been addressed from the beginning. And it also seems like social services should've been more of a help with the whole situation.

I didn't read as much into the Fangs situation as you did. I just figured it was him once again being the unlucky Serpent that bad crap happened to, and Jughead not wanting to punish him for helping out his mom seems like something in character, but also something that shows he might not have the iron fist that the Serpents need in a ruler.

As for Choni...I hope what you wrote comes true, but I'm also afraid that without a Serpent connection to bring them into the story, they'll fade into the background again.

Quote:
- I loved when Josie told Veronica that she either gets things straightened out with her family or she’s done with the headlining job.
That situation showed Veronica naivety in dealing with her father. Him going after Josie should've occurred to her before it happened.

Quote:
- Where the heck did Ethel go? She was side-by-side with Betty helping the refugees escape and in this one she was nowhere to be found.
Probably off somewhere dealing with the fact that a major part of her life was a complete lie.

Quote:
- Choni catburglaring stuff was fun.
Yeah. It was nice seeing them doing girlfriend stuff.

Quote:
- I just realized that Archie did have a job which was clearing the trails. So that’s why he had to go out but why didn’t he bring a weapon to protect himself? His fists don’t count when we’re talking Grizzly bears.
What could he really have brought to protect himself from a Grizzly bear? Especially the ninja bear that sneaked up to him so completely that he wasn't aware of it's presence until it was less than 5 feet away. I mean, even Archie's dog didn't notice the bear until it was ready to take a bite out of Archiekins.

Quote:
- I don’t trust Fangs at all. I think it’s possible he joined the Gargoyle Gang after initially getting kicked out of the Serpents. I see betrayal coming.
You'll probably be proven right, but I trust Sweet Pea less than Fangs. Maybe it's because a supposedly hardcore gang banger chose the name Sweet Pea, but he's always seemed off to me.

Quote:
Good episode. Finally caught up and ready for tonight’s all new!
I'd lean more towards decent episode myself.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
I hate to say it, but I think Veronica and Reggie have way more chemistry than Veronica and Archie.
I was blown away by their chem and even their slow burn tbh.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:28 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
I've never really felt like Archie had chemistry with anyone that he's been paired with, so it's not hard for her and Reggie to have better chemistry. Her relationship with Reggie is odd though. He pretty much hops to and does whatever she asks of him, and has been this entire season for no real reason.
It is rather weird how he's her employer (I think?). Their relationship certainly is different. I liked how he looked at her in the one scene. I definitely need to see more but from what little I've seen as far as chemistry, I am on board. They also seem much more gentle and slow in development compared to Varchie, who were all about hitting the sheets.

Quote:
To be fair, when is there not a bear sighting in Canada?
True.

Quote:
You say naive side. I say stupidity. Ultimately we're talking about the same thing. His character flaw that hold him back is the propensity to fly off the handle and boldly react to situations without completely thinking them through. It was on big time display at his trial, and it's colored his entire life up until now. Hopefully he's deranged walk through the dream world will result in him finally thinking before he acts...especially thinking about the repercussions of his actions instead of just blindly bulling ahead.
Well said. Man, I forgot about his actions at trial. His very own mother was helping him legally and he still acted before allowing her to guide the trial instead. Yes, hopefully this "rebirth" allows a more mature Archie.

Quote:
I agree. We got all this buildup, and had that big cliffhanger, and when we come back the quarantine is over and done with? Lame. It's like they thought this idea would be cool, then they read some flames about how innately stupid it was, so they just changed the storyline and hoped we'd forget.
Very possible that's what happened. Ridiculous. It's annoying that they'd think the audience will just accept it and move on.

Quote:
I don't really understand why it took Betty so long to try and find other housing for the refugees. It seemed like they'd been living with her for a while, and many of them seemed to be wearing the same clothes they had on at the loony bin. It seems like the housing situation is something that should've been addressed from the beginning. And it also seems like social services should've been more of a help with the whole situation.
It was bizarre. She should have gone to the others first. Heck, Cheryl has a mansion. They all could have resided at Cheryl's and had way more space. Cheryl agreed when asked but she should have been asked much sooner.

Sadly, given the situation, the Farm was the better option than the Cooper's.

Quote:
I didn't read as much into the Fangs situation as you did. I just figured it was him once again being the unlucky Serpent that bad crap happened to, and Jughead not wanting to punish him for helping out his mom seems like something in character, but also something that shows he might not have the iron fist that the Serpents need in a ruler.

As for Choni...I hope what you wrote comes true, but I'm also afraid that without a Serpent connection to bring them into the story, they'll fade into the background again.
I really hope not. I wonder if they will remain out of the Serpents permanently. Toni even said she is connected by blood.

Quote:
That situation showed Veronica naivety in dealing with her father. Him going after Josie should've occurred to her before it happened.
Absolutely.

I still think Hermione is the bigger bad right now. It's weird how she's not around sometimes. She's also all over the place in her decision making too.

Quote:
Probably off somewhere dealing with the fact that a major part of her life was a complete lie
LOL. True.

Quote:
Yeah. It was nice seeing them doing girlfriend stuff.
Yes, indeed.

Quote:
What could he really have brought to protect himself from a Grizzly bear? Especially the ninja bear that sneaked up to him so completely that he wasn't aware of it's presence until it was less than 5 feet away. I mean, even Archie's dog didn't notice the bear until it was ready to take a bite out of Archiekins.
Didn't he have a gun at some point or he got rid of it?

Quote:
You'll probably be proven right, but I trust Sweet Pea less than Fangs. Maybe it's because a supposedly hardcore gang banger chose the name Sweet Pea, but he's always seemed off to me.
I was wondering what was up with Sweet Pea and Fangs... their sudden close relationship. It was weird.

Quote:
I'd lean more towards decent episode myself.
Yeah.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
I was blown away by their chem and even their slow burn tbh.
Right?! Chemistry was really nice. Slow burn, exactly. They are developing at a nice pace, not like Varchie. You also see more of an emotional connection between them instead of immediately physical and I like that. Even Veronica cleaning up his bruised/cut face was filled with chemistry.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

Quote:
Right?! Chemistry was really nice. Slow burn, exactly. They are developing at a nice pace, not like Varchie. You also see more of an emotional connection between them instead of immediately physical and I like that. Even Veronica cleaning up his bruised/cut face was filled with chemistry.
exactly. I think VArchie have chem, but it was more sexual and less tender. I don't much care for pacing. Some slow burns are unrealistic in that it feels forced. Pacing depends. It's emotional chemistry I care about.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:33 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I felt like Archie/Veronica happened more because Betty and Jughead got together than because of any real story reason or chemistry. It was like they said "Betty chose, Jughead, so we gotta do something with Archie and Veronica, so let's make them a couple."
Old 01-23-2019, 11:34 AM
Elite Fan

The Flash

I didn't feel like calling the Whambulance at any time during the episode, so it was a step up from last week, but overall it was still just an okay episode for me.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds44 (View Post)
exactly. I think VArchie have chem, but it was more sexual and less tender.
Precisely how I feel too.

Quote:
I don't much care for pacing. Some slow burns are unrealistic in that it feels forced. Pacing depends. It's emotional chemistry I care about.
Agreed, 100%.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:11 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I felt like Archie/Veronica happened more because Betty and Jughead got together than because of any real story reason or chemistry. It was like they said "Betty chose, Jughead, so we gotta do something with Archie and Veronica, so let's make them a couple."
Great point. They were kind of the "leftover" pairing. They were not developed at all. We saw Archie drooling over her at the diner, then the kiss, but signs of Archie maybe having romantic feelings for Betty at the same time. You are so right, it was then Betty's next move, basically. Betty pulled away from the idea of being with Archie and developed an emotional and eventual, romantic relationship with Jughead.

Maybe if Varchie does reunite, like Archie is in reset mode, Veronica and Archie will be too... they can start over in a way and do it better next time around.

Or let's keep Veronica/Reggie which is how I'm leaning personally based on what I've seen.

I wonder what fan response is.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
The Flash

I didn't feel like calling the Whambulance at any time during the episode, so it was a step up from last week, but overall it was still just an okay episode for me.
Glad it was a better episode than the last one at least. I am going to watch shortly.

Have you seen Supergirl yet?
Old 01-23-2019, 12:26 PM
Elite Fan

I'm several episodes behind on Supergirl
Old 01-23-2019, 12:28 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Oh okay.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread