Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2018, 01:11 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Alan, are you back from Dallas?
Yeah. We got back yesterday. After we took that photo-op, we went to the Riverdale Q&A panel, where my niece freaked out because a woman asked Lili if she was dating Cole and she answered yes, and then we wandered around for about an hour or so more. I tried to get her to go to KJ's table to say hello to him, and she was too scared to go up. After I went and did my Jennifer Morrison photo-op, we left. We got back around 5:00 yesterday. Unfortunately I'm at work now.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crow (View Post)
Yeah. We got back yesterday. After we took that photo-op, we went to the Riverdale Q&A panel, where my niece freaked out because a woman asked Lili if she was dating Cole and she answered yes, and then we wandered around for about an hour or so more. I tried to get her to go to KJ's table to say hello to him, and she was too scared to go up. After I went and did my Jennifer Morrison photo-op, we left. We got back around 5:00 yesterday. Unfortunately I'm at work now.
LOL Awe. Sounds like you guys had an awesome time.

Do you have another one of these planned in the future?
Old 10-22-2018, 01:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Riverdale: 3.2: CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN: FORTUNE AND MEN'S EYES

So not only do we have Archie doing his version of a Longest Yard take off in Juvie, but a creepy warden messing with him, Ethel getting involved, the parents having a dark secret, the Lodges being sketchy, some creepy monster in the woods, a possible witch coven.

Okay.

Oh and I totally ship the Cheryl/Veronica friendship.

I like this review as it sums up my thoughts even more and adds in some Comic nuggets:

Quote:
Riverdale Season 3 Episode 2 Review - Chapter 37: Fortune and Men's Eyes
The Gargoyle King rises and Archie falls in a dynamic Riverdale.

Riverdale Season 3 Episode 2

Leading up to this season, the cast and crew of Riverdale has made it a point to state that, despite the arrival of cults and Gargoyle Kings and mysterious teens who can apparently inflict seizures upon their classmates, that the show is not getting supernatural.

Uh huh, sure you aren't.

Even if sister series Chilling Adventures of Sabrina weren't debuting next Friday, it wouldn't be difficult to refute this claim. But given tonight's developments, it seems impossible.

Let's begin with the the new big bad of the season, the Gargoyle King. Tonight Betty and Jughead found themselves face-to-blood-coated-face with this mysterious creature who is, almost certainly, not just Ethel in a costume on stilts. The more we learn about Gryphons & Gargoyles, the more it seems that the game is the Jack Chick Dark Dungeons tract come violently to life. Seemingly played only by Riverdale's outsiders, the RPG causes players to fully immerse themselves in it with deadly results.

There's something that is intoxicating about watching Betty and Veronica try to solve mysteries together, a feeling that is taken to the nth degree when said mysteries take place in a Lost-ian hatch. Lily Reinhart and Cole Sprouse are typically excellent in these sort of scenes, and they have adapted to the increasingly ridiculous (in the best way, mind you) plots that the show keeps throwing at them with aplomb.

We also learned tonight that the Riverdale adults -- including the much-hated Hiram Lodge -- united in their youth to bury a secret about the game (something we will see in full in two weeks, in the flashback episode "The Midnight Club"). So, can playing the game conjure the Gargoyle King and his bloodlust into existence? If so, how is this not supernatural exactly?

Then there's the arrival of seizure groupie Evelyn Evernever (these names, sigh). Tonight marked Zoé De Grand Maison's arrival as the character and so far all we know about her is that she is the daughter of The Farm's leader, Edgar, and was in close proximity to both Betty and Ethel when they suffered their seizures. This is a series that showcased Carrie: The Musical after all, so let's not rule out telekinesis.

Before we get into the other big doings in tonight's jam-packed installment, let's take a second and address the Kevin/Moose storyline. Given the forward-thinking nature of the show's writers in general (and the CW's current Open to All campaign), I hope that Moose's shame about being closeted isn't a storyline that goes on for too long.

Riverdale is better than this, and while teens struggling with coming out is still obviously a major issue in 2018, it's hard to watch the same show that championed Love, Simon spin its wheels when it comes to having an LGBTQ character embracing his truth.

And then there's Archie. Sweet, dumb, always half-naked Archie. A major part of the enjoyment that comes from watching this show results from seeing how the writers will give the character an idea that makes perfect sense for who we know him to be, yet no one even remotely rational would consider. Tonight's big idea: Throwing a football game to unite all the prisoners!

Archie and Fred must've watched The Longest Yard together a few times (and you just know it was the Adam Sandler remake), because otherwise this plan makes not one lick of sense. There's our boy, speaking of "the highs and lows of high school football" with a straight face. Yet somewhere in middle America someone sheds a tear and vows to do a rewatch of Friday Night Lights...

This does serve the purpose of enabling tonight's left-field musical perfomance of "Jailhouse Rock," which is interupted briefly by Hiram's arrival to remind Veronica that she and Archie will never be together and blah blah and oh man it would be great if the Gargoyle King would just eat this dude already.

And remember, Varchie aside, so far this season's true endgame is in fact the Gargoyle King -- so much so that Dr. Curdle II goes out of his way to tell viewers that it wasn't the murder of Jason Blossom or the crimes of the Black Hood that were "the true face of evil" but good ol' GK. Always subtle, that Riverdale.

Tonight's episode was an odd duck, setting things into high gear while taking its good sweet old time with other storylines. Let's face it, the writers are going to have a challenge with keeping viewers invested in Veronica's speakeasy or Archie's Chuck Palahniuk worship when there's a bona fide monster running around Fox Forest. (Archie needs to get out or prison and involved in the Gargoyle King/Farm stuff ASAP, or else he'll be sidelined again from the most interesting action a la the first season).

Overall though, this installment, like the best episodes of Riverdale, had enough fascinating developments and WTF moments to make the wait until next Wednesday feel interminable.

Riverdale Roundup

- Like the Southside Serpents and Fangs Fogarty, the character of Evelyn Evernever (daughter of The Farm guru Edgar and new thorn in Betty's side) made her debut as an antagonist in Bob Bolling's excellent Little Archie comics of the 1950s. Although Evelyn has been MIA for decades, she is currently experiencing something of a renaissance, being featured not only on Riverdale but in Jamie Lee Rotante's recently completed Betty & Veronica: Vixens comic.

- Archie's shirtlessness was especially gratuitous tonight, with him being stripped, hosed off and doused with anti-lice powder. Do prisons even do this stuff still?

- R.I.P. Dilton Doiley, the first Dr. Curdle, Mad Dog, and Benjamin Button (HAW HAW). Gentlemen, we hardly knew ye.

- If there aren't Leopold and Loeb Juvenile Detention Center shirts and/or Gryphons and Gargoyle games for sale at Hot Topic before Christmas then someone in the show's licensing department screwed up royally.

- Was Archie trying to play the blues in the prison's music room? Sigh.

- TGI Thursdays is a restaurant in the Archieverse, because OF COURSE it is.

- AGAIN: The mysterious Ben got a last name this episode: Button. This show, you guys.

- Whatever is happening with the Gargoyle King, the drinking of blueberry "Flavor Ade" laced with cyanide seems to definitely indicate Jonestown-esque cult ties...

- As usual, Cheryl gets in the episode's sickest burn by informing Pop's Chok'lit Shoppe owner Veronica that "you can't discriminate against someone because they're better looking than you are."

- So Ethel is also a fan of the Gryphons and Gargoyles game. A development that already has me preparing to reuse #justiceforethel, because they better not even think about killing her off.

- "You'll fly too." Pennywise, Ben ain't.

- "My name is Monica Posh." The thing is, in Riverdale that is a perfectly acceptable name.

- If next week's trailer is any indication, Warden Norton's secret plan for Archie includes an underground fight club. The spirit of the 90s is alive in Riverdale!

- You know, given all the denials from the show's actors and writers that Riverdale is getting supernatural this season, the Gargoyle King seems pretty damn supernatural. Just sayin'.

- Riverdale Book Club: Ethel was reading "Ship It," a YA book about fandom from Riverdale writer Britta Lundin.

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/rive...-and-mens-eyes
Old 10-22-2018, 01:35 PM
Elite Fan

Lili made a point to say, multiple times, during the Q&A that the show wasn't going supernatural. She first mentioned it when the moderator asked about a possible Sabrina/Riverdale crossover, and she said that it would have to happen in a dream or something because Riverdale doesn't do supernatural stuff. Then, someone asked if Evelyn might've caused Betty and Ethel's seizures, to which she responded "no, because that would mean she has magical powers, and Riverdale doesn't do supernatural stuff." And later when someone mentioned the latest episode, she said something to the effect of 'no matter what we found in the wood, there's nothing supernatural going on in Riverdale.'
Old 10-22-2018, 01:40 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Lili made a point to say, multiple times, during the Q&A that the show wasn't going supernatural. She first mentioned it when the moderator asked about a possible Sabrina/Riverdale crossover, and she said that it would have to happen in a dream or something because Riverdale doesn't do supernatural stuff. Then, someone asked if Evelyn might've caused Betty and Ethel's seizures, to which she responded "no, because that would mean she has magical powers, and Riverdale doesn't do supernatural stuff." And later when someone mentioned the latest episode, she said something to the effect of 'no matter what we found in the wood, there's nothing supernatural going on in Riverdale.'
That's really interesting. It's tough to believe her, lol, but why would she be so determined to say no if it wasn't true? So the supernatural stuff is a fake out then? Hmm.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Elite Fan

Riverdale

Is it just me, or is blatantly attacking the prisoners in broad daylight, with multiple eye witnesses to the fact that there was not really a riot, a bad idea for the warden?

Also, doesn't it seem like the fact that Hiram and the warden are best buddies seem like something Veronica should tell Archie's mom? That in and of itself seems like it would be grounds to at least get him moved somewhere else.

Why does Hiram feel the need to couch his persecution of Archie in his supposed concern for the well-being of his daughter? I mean, he came out and said that he did this to Archie to punish her last episode, why now is he falling back on the 'I have to protect you from that criminal Archie,' when talking to her outside the prison (with no witnesses around either)?

The Kevin and Moose storyline is tired at best. I get that Riverdale is supposed to be a sorta small town, but is Moose really worth all this trouble Kevin?

I wish the show could've done something even a little bit fresh with Archie in jail than to put him in an underground fight club. I literally watched an episode of Criminal Minds on that subject right before watching this episode of Riverdale.

Cheryl continues to be my favorite character, and I continue to be saddened by the lack of Choni. Archie and Veronica strip off and throw down at the drop of a hat, and Betty and Jughead are frequently lovey dovey, but in two episodes we've gotten a handful of mentions of the couple, but only one scene of them actually together, and most of that was spent talking about Archie. For shame Riverdale. Hell, I'm not looking for some gratuitous sex stuff. I just would like them to be in the same room more than once every two episodes.

Apparently being creepy is a pre-requisite of being a medical examiner in Riverdale.

It's cute how Alice apparently believed that a strongly worded dressing down from her and FP would actually stop Betty and Veronica from investigating Dilton's death and the circumstances around it.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:51 PM
Elite Fan

Here's a fan video from the panel if anyone's interested in watching it.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Riverdale

Is it just me, or is blatantly attacking the prisoners in broad daylight, with multiple eye witnesses to the fact that there was not really a riot, a bad idea for the warden?
Especially with that weird smile on his face.

Then again, I’m wondering how the cheerleaders were able to walk right up to the fence and perform that song even if it was a fun scene, lol.

Quote:
Also, doesn't it seem like the fact that Hiram and the warden are best buddies seem like something Veronica should tell Archie's mom? That in and of itself seems like it would be grounds to at least get him moved somewhere else.
100%.

Quote:
Why does Hiram feel the need to couch his persecution of Archie in his supposed concern for the well-being of his daughter? I mean, he came out and said that he did this to Archie to punish her last episode, why now is he falling back on the 'I have to protect you from that criminal Archie,' when talking to her outside the prison (with no witnesses around either)?
Exactly. It makes zero sense.

Quote:
The Kevin and Moose storyline is tired at best. I get that Riverdale is supposed to be a sorta small town, but is Moose really worth all this trouble Kevin?
I can’t stand this pairing to be honest. I never liked them. I just can’t connect. I think Kevin looks desperate and rather pathetic joining that group. Moose is definitely not worth the trouble. Move on, Kevin.

Quote:
I wish the show could've done something even a little bit fresh with Archie in jail than to put him in an underground fight club. I literally watched an episode of Criminal Minds on that subject right before watching this episode of Riverdale.
Agreed. It’s tiring.

Quote:
Cheryl continues to be my favorite character, and I continue to be saddened by the lack of Choni. Archie and Veronica strip off and throw down at the drop of a hat, and Betty and Jughead are frequently lovey dovey, but in two episodes we've gotten a handful of mentions of the couple, but only one scene of them actually together, and most of that was spent talking about Archie. For shame Riverdale. Hell, I'm not looking for some gratuitous sex stuff. I just would like them to be in the same room more than once every two episodes.
I don’t get it either. I mean, I guess this past episode was meant for just Cheryl and Veronica to have interaction. That said, we still could’ve gotten a cute scene with just Choni.

Quote:
Apparently being creepy is a pre-requisite of being a medical examiner in Riverdale.
LOL I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
It's cute how Alice apparently believed that a strongly worded dressing down from her and FP would actually stop Betty and Veronica from investigating Dilton's death and the circumstances around it.
Haha.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:

Awesome, thank you!
Old 10-22-2018, 06:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Supergirl: 4.2 “Fallout”

Love the iconic image in the beginning with Supergirl, flagpole in hand during the protesters/riot as a result of the President situation. This is of course an iconic image. We've seen Superman in this pose or with the flag flying in the background many times. Love it.

The great part... Humanity still seems to respect them despite all the anti-alien sentiment.

Otis and his sister Mercy... annoying for villains. Mercy's attack on L-Corp ... well I did love Lena using Lex's dismantled suit. L-Corp scenes were great, especially Kara having to slip away to become Supergirl.

Brainy had a nice moment with Nia at the Pizza Restaurant after his identity was exposed. Awe. I actually could see these two romantic in the future. I still want Kara/Brainy eventually
Spoiler:
but I like these two. I loved her verbal takedown of the restaurant owner and her conversation with Brainy who seems to suspect that he’s seen her before. The fact that she’s playing a character that’s based on a Legion of Superheroes character probably has something to do with it? We’ll see where this goes.

I also loved Nia's moment with James describing what happened at the restaurant and telling him as a trans gendered woman she can empathize with feeling like an outsider like the aliens must feel. That was great. This talk had a great effect on James too.

I've said it before but I adore Jesse Rath as Brainy. I just love how he can be both serious and funny at the same time. Cute how it's taking Brainy a while to adjust to the twenty first century but he's getting there with the help of Alex and others. I miss Winn but adore Brainy and want him to remain a big part of the scenes when Winn does return.

Agent Jensen’s seduction and turnabout by Mercy happened too fast. Like wicked fast. He went from supporting Danvers to siding with Mercy and Otis in a matter of minutes. Convenient he was there to help the two of them escape... sucks, too.

The scene with J’onn at Agent Liberty’s rally was emotional because these hate groups do exist in the world. I commend the series for tackling real world stuff.

I liked the Brainy/Alex moment where Brainy mentioned how much it hurt him to be attacked by someone he thought was a friend. Did I mention how much I love Brainy?

Well, hello, kryptonite... Mercy setting it off into the air mimics Otis’ rant earlier about the lead that was sent into the air to stop the Daxamites.

Really liking the beginning of the season. I hope it continues.

Last edited by jediwands; 10-23-2018 at 02:45 PM
Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:

Thanks for that
Old 10-22-2018, 08:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Alan... should make you happy:

Old 10-23-2018, 04:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks for the link
Old 10-23-2018, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Welcome!
Old 10-23-2018, 06:34 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
Alan... should make you happy:

I hope they stick with that, because otherwise it would probably be a deal-breaker for me show-wise.

Comic Book Cover of the Day: Catwoman #4 by Artgerm