Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 07:22 PM
Master Fan

Everwood Discussion Question of the Week: If The Characters Went To A Halloween Party, What Would They All Dress Up As

Welcome to the inaugural Everwood Discussion Question of the Week thread. The point of this thread is to have as many people contribute to a discussion weekly as possible, so although we're going to start with some tough ones, there will also be a lot of easier ones to more people involved. Admittedly, part of the reason we're starting this is to keep the post counts up, but a much bigger reason is so that we'll always know that we have something to talk about for the show, because five years gone, that can be difficult but we do a great job, I think!

In that regard, I think it would be really cool if we could eventually compile a list of 52+ questions. That way, we would know there would be at least one discussion a week for a whole entire year or more. That's the goal.

So, any questions you want to nominate, please go ahead, whether we've talked about it one time or a million times. There's a ton in the Agree/Disagree thread that we can take and I'm sure a ton in your heads! So any questions you have, ask them here and we'll make a list in this opening post and ask one weekly!

Here's the first question since a few of you requested it on the Agree/Disagree game:

If Amy was the one to leave Everwood, would Ephram go and find her?

----
Questions:
1) If Amy was the one to leave Everwood, would Ephram go and find her? [Jun 12-Jun19]
2) What would each character (Bright, Amy, Ephram, Hannah [if her father were still alive], Delia, maybe even Andy to Eugene) would do on Father's Day or give their dads?
What, to you, makes Andy and Harold such great fathers? When you think of great parenting, what moments from them stand out to you the most?
[Jun 19-Jun 26]
3) Between Harold and Andy, who would you rather be parented by and which one do you think you'd get on better with? [Jun 26-Jul 3]
4) If there was ever a spin off with one character who would you choose? [Jul 3-Jul 10]
5)Do you see Andy ever moving away from Everwood? If so, what do you think makes him move? If not, what do you think makes him stay? [Jul 10-Jul 17]
6) Which minor character did you want to see have a bigger role? [Jul 17-Jul 24]
7) Who was a better friend...Bright or Ephram? [Jul 24-Jul 31]
8) What was Ephram's best moment as a friend? What was Ephram's worst moment as a friend? What was Bright's best moment as a friend? What was Bright's worst moment as a friend? [Jul 31-Aug 7]
9) Was Harold's attitude and opinion of Ephram when he first moved to Everwood called for? (Aug 7-Aug 14]
10) If the babygate with Madison didn't happen and Ephram got the acceptance to Julliard, would he have stayed in New York away from everything in Everwood? [Aug 15-Aug 22]
11) Since Andy was technically sending away his grandson never to see him again when Madison went to see him, is there any way he could have protected Ephram and still not had Madison given away the baby? [Aug 22-Aug 29]
12) If Bright had gotten a girlfriend pregnant, just as he was getting ready to go off to college or something else really important to his future, and the girl came to Harold first like Madison did Andy, how would Harold have handled the situation? [Aug 30-Sep 6]
13) How would Delia react if Andy really moved back to New York and she had to live in New York again? [Sep 6-Sep 13]
14) Did you feel that Colin's personality had a negative "edge" to it...with or without the brain injury? [Sep 13-Sep 20]
15) Did Colin develop real feelings of love for Amy before his terrible death? When Colin, Amy and Bright were on the road-trip... what did Colin truly feel for Amy? Was that the real Colin we were seeing? Do you believe had he lived he would have fought Ephram (not literally) for Amy? [Sep 20-Sep 27]
16) Do you you think that if Andy didn't have to confront his beliefs over giving Kate an abortion, would he would have been able to let Colin go on the operating table? [Sep 27-Oct 4]
17) If you had to choose one character that the show was about, who would that character be and why? [Oct 4-Oct 11]
18) Do you think Andy would have ever become a better father/husband without Julia dying? [Oct 11-Oct 17]
19) Do you think some of the scenarios that the Everwood writers included in the show were unrealistic? [Oct 17-Oct 24]
20) Who was a better mother...Rose or Julia?
21) Were Ruth and Jacob Hoffman justified in their criticism of Andy and desire to take Ephram back with them?
22) Was it fair of Hal, Sr. to require Harold to perform abortions if the need arose, in order to go into practice in Everwood?
23) How did you feel about Delia not going to Irv's funeral?
24) Did Harold go through a change from season one to the end of season 4?
25) If you had to pick one character who changed the most from the first episode to the last, who would it be?
26) Would any character have been able to redeem themselves as quickly or even at all the way Andy did post-Amanda?
27) What storyline do you think would have worked better with a different character?
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
-Greg Berlanti on Everwood

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 11-03-2011 at 04:06 PM
Old 06-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Addicted Fan

Yay, great new thread! I'll go thru the A/D thread soon and pick out some of the ones I wanted to discuss from there.

Hmmm, I think it would probably depend on why she was going, where she went, how long she was gone, etc. I actually don't remember this question from the A/D game but I'm assuming it was based on Ephram's trip to Europe? When he left, he was in a very bad place emotionally and I think Amy recognized that, if she had chased after him or even asked him to stay it would have been a very bad move on her part, and they probably never would have gotten back together IMO. If the situation was reversed I really don't think I would see it any differently.

I'm veering off topic already, heh, but the more I think about Ephram at the end of S3 the more I realize he HAD to go, he really did. He was just getting over the shock of realizing how far Andy had gone trying to control his life, and then here Amy pops up (with the best of intentions of course, but Amy is Amy and she does not know when to quit) and does the same dang thing by calling and getting him another tryout/interview with Juliard. Poor guy probably felt like a puppet with Andy and Amy passing the strings back and forth between each other. In all honesty, I think that's where he was coming from when Amy gave the necklace back and he kind of brushed her off. Yes Amy was just being a girl with the happily ever after dreams and all, but it was not the time to be going on about even more of the life SHE had planned for him. Does that make sense?
Old 06-13-2011, 03:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
but Amy is Amy and she does not know when to quit) and does the same dang thing by calling and getting him another tryout/interview with Juliard. Poor guy probably felt like a puppet with Andy and Amy passing the strings back and forth between each other.
This is true...Ephram probably felt really manipulated here. I do believe, though, that if/when Ephram really thought about it..he would come to realize what a wonderful thing Amy did for him. If he had any regrets whatsoever about abandoning his audition...here was his second chance! He owed Amy a huge hug here....not a beat down!

Quote:
Does that make sense?
You always make sense, Taryn.

As far as the question goes...I believe that I gave my thoughts about this in the agree/disagree thread. I don't believe that Ephram would go after Amy. He would want to...but wouldn't have the nerve. Because of his eventual guilt, he would be afraid that Amy would reject him and not come back with him. Ephram is kind of wimpy that way. Remember the postcards? If he didn't have the nerve to mail them...how would he have the nerve to go after Amy in person?
Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 AM
Loyal Fan

Yeah, I guess this one really depends on the situation.

I'll just go by the thinking that Amy went to Europe to find herself...

I agree with Betty and her thoughts on it. I actually think that there's a better chance that Amy would have gone and tried to find him and obviously we didn't see that happen. I could certainly see Ephram asking Bright or Hannah for information of her whereabouts if need be but no, I don't believe he'd actually go there to find her.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty
This is true...Ephram probably felt really manipulated here. I do believe, though, that if/when Ephram really thought about it..he would come to realize what a wonderful thing Amy did for him. If he had any regrets whatsoever about abandoning his audition...here was his second chance! He owed Amy a huge hug here....not a beat down!
Agreed so much. Amy was selfless, not telling Ephram about the baby situation in order to get him through the audition. She went through hell with that knowledge, not being able to share it with him. Her reasoning for keeping it from him temporarily was out of pure love. Then Madison screws it all up and the truth is exposed. Amy, still, tries to get him that audition and actually moves heaven and earth in order to go there and accomplish just that. I really believe Ephram deserved to thank her for this.

To answer the question... yes, I believe Ephram wouldn't have gone to Europe to search for Amy. One of the best things about Ephram is his ability to allow Amy to live and breathe independently even if he has always wanted to be with her romantically. He knew back around day 1 they were meant to be together. Yet, he also knew Amy had to come to this conclusion on her own. He allowed her to figure out her feelings and deal with the Colin situation. He even rejected her when he didn't want to as she was begging him in Vegetative State to be with her, because he selflessly knew Amy still had to figure things out and be there for Colin no matter what. He never pressured her for sex. He was never a clingy, dependent, possessive guy at all when it came to Amy. He always displayed the, "If you love someone, set them free" type of saying because he knew she would always come back. Thus, I believe in this case, he would miss her terribly and want to be with her in order to work things out, but in typical Ephram fashion he would allow Amy the space and freedom to soul search and eventually come back to him after doing so.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn
When he left, he was in a very bad place emotionally and I think Amy recognized that, if she had chased after him or even asked him to stay it would have been a very bad move on her part, and they probably never would have gotten back together IMO. If the situation was reversed I really don't think I would see it any differently.
Agreed completely. Amy going to find Ephram or Ephram going to find Amy would have just made an awful situation that much worse. Ephram needed his space, so would Amy. I think we even get our answer to this question in S4 after the postcard scene and Amy says that she needs her Europe. Ephram obviously tries to persuade her, but once Amy has her mind set, he doesn't push. They're both stubborn characters, heh, and they each know that about each other. If Amy wanted to get away from Everwood, from life and from Ephram, Ephram would respect that.

One thing that I've been wondering is in a hypothetical world, if the whole situation were somehow reversed, would Amy send the postcards? I think she'd be more likely to, at least. Ephram is more private and reserved as has been mentioned. It made sense that he couldn't send the postcards. I don't think Amy would be able to keep them to herself. She has an endearing need to have her thoughts expressed and heard, and she would have sent them to Ephram. But Ephram would still know that sending those cards wouldn't mean that Amy would be ready. He would still respect her space.
“[People] talk to me about these characters as if they’re real, and they’re not real, but they’ve become real...I really think, shows like this one, you have an attachment to them. They’re like friends you check in on."
Old 06-13-2011, 10:24 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Tos (View Post)
One thing that I've been wondering is in a hypothetical world, if the whole situation were somehow reversed, would Amy send the postcards? I think she'd be more likely to, at least. Ephram is more private and reserved as has been mentioned. It made sense that he couldn't send the postcards. I don't think Amy would be able to keep them to herself. She has an endearing need to have her thoughts expressed and heard, and she would have sent them to Ephram. But Ephram would still know that sending those cards wouldn't mean that Amy would be ready. He would still respect her space.
I hadn't really put any thought into it, but reading over what you said, I have to agree. I think Amy would have sent them without hesitation. Well, without much hesitation.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
this reminds me of when he went to go find his son, but when he got there, he decided not to go through with it. But I don't think he'd get there and just do nothing. He could see her walking around town and go say hello or something. I just can't imagine Amy leaving for anything and Ephram not go find her.

Quote:
I hadn't thought about it that way either. It would really depend on why Amy would've gone to Europe. We know Ephram went to Europe and he was angry at Andy when he went. I don't know think Amy would go out of anger, especially not to Europe. I think she would send the post cards. She's always wanted the connection with Ephram to remain, no matter if they were dating or not, she always wanted them to connection and communicate. Iwonderif she wouldn't get a reply back either by a postcard from Ephram or an email would she continue to send them
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 06-14-2011, 05:53 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia
Iwonderif she wouldn't get a reply back either by a postcard from Ephram or an email would she continue to send them
Yeah, if he wasn't comfortable sending the postcards, maybe he'd be more comfortable replying as he wouldn't have to initiate the action. I guess that Amy would send them wanting a response, but maybe she would just send them just so Ephram wouldn't wonder what was going on, what was she doing.

That's actually a HUGE problem with what Ephram did for me. Not only, as Betty has mentioned before, did Ephram leave in the midst of a big family crisis for Amy with Rose, but he left Amy with so much uncertainty. She didn't know where he was, what he was thinking, when she would ever see him again, if she would ever see him again. As Michelle mentioned in her response, Ephram knows Amy better than anyone and would give her the freedom she would desire. When he left Everwood, he knew that Amy would ask all these questions from when he left until he came back and would put her into so much uncertainty. And he still did it. Not sending the postcards was kind of romantic in a sense because Amy was able to discover them and they had that great scene, but...man, Amy needed to at least hear from Ephram so she wouldn't have all those questions in her mind, because you just know she was freaking out about it. No wonder she didn't forgive him! I don't think Amy would have ever put Ephram in that situation of so much uncertainty.

-----

Remember to also nominate future questions you'd like to see asked, guys, as we want to get 52+ questions for a whole year's worth of questions a week.

Here's two I'd like to ask as we go along:

1) If there was ever a spin off with one character who would you choose?
2) Which minor character did you want to see have a bigger role?
Old 06-14-2011, 07:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

3. Who was a better friend...Bright or Ephram?
4. Was Harold's attitude and opinion of Ephram when he first moved to Everwood called for?
Old 06-14-2011, 10:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

and what really got me was that Ephram knew something was going on with Amy. He knew how she worked. When something was bothering her and she didn't want to say anything about it. That was Amy's thing and he knew that. Ephram knew something was going on. I don't remember if he knew about Rose or just the idea that Amy was going through something. But wouldn't that be enough? I'd like for the postcards to say that. We never got to know what was in those postcards, did we? I just think it was OOC for Ephram to completely ignore the fact that the girl he's loved since day 1 of Everwood and fly to Europe and not really know when or if he'd return. I get that he had family stuff going on, but when did Ephram not have family stuff going on?

my future questions:

1) if the babygate with Madison didn't happen and Ephram got the acceptance to Julliard, would he have stayed in New York away from everything in Everwood?
2) How would Delia react if Andy really moved back to New York and she had to live in New York again?
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 06-15-2011, 05:42 AM
Fan Forum Hero

7. Did you feel that Colin's personality had a negative "edge" to it...with or without the brain injury?
Old 06-16-2011, 12:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Colin's personality was definitely negative, before the surgery, he was a jerk all around
{EphramAmy}
patricia
Old 06-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Loyal Fan

Per Betty's suggestion ...

If you had to choose one character that the show was about, that character would be...Ephram.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for all the questions so far, everyone. We'll ask the next one on Sunday, so if anyone has anything to add to this week's question, please do, and if not, keep the questions coming!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread