Old 09-25-2022, 03:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 4.04 - Pieces of Me

Rewatch Overview

Pieces of Me

SUMMARY

Ephram begins giving piano lessons to a 14-year-old piano prodigy, Kyle, but Ephram soon realizes that the music awakens difficult memories from last year. Meanwhile, Dr. Brown advises a brain tumor patient and his wife; Harold and Rose await the latest cancer test results while dealing with the stress of a mayoral reelection; and Delia informs her father she wants a Bat Mitzvah.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
October 20, 2005

WRITER
Josh Reims

DIRECTOR
Michael Pavone
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

EPHRAM/BRIGHT/DELIA

Bright and Delia cheering that both their fathers pay for their food and housing while they go to school is hilarious. Nice bonding time for brother and sister, Ephram, taking Delia to a job fair. LOL. Even Bright complimented Delia on being an old soul/sage type which is not only funny but totally true. The priest talking to Delia about Judaism was sweet. Bright telling the priest he’s a lost cause is so funny. I am kind of confused over why Delia and Ephram act like they are 100% Jewish (even if Delia and Julia talked about this). They are technically 50% Jewish since Andy is not Jewish, and appears to be Christian. In addition, Ephram and Delia have not followed any of the Jewish practices actively minus Ephram/Bar Mitzvah and now Delia preparing for a Bat Mitzvah. I suppose Ephram and Delia might have rejected Christianity and the viewer is to assume they are primarily embracing Julia’s Judaism.

BRIGHT/EPHRAM

Bright is anti-artistic Ephram? Dumb. It is different now, Bright, you two are both in college living together so Ephram can pound on the piano all he wants and you are still going to see him. You won’t lose the friendship and not see Ephram. You are his friend, you should want him happy. I also thought it was uncalled for when Bright brought up Madisongate. I guess the only refreshing thing to result in Bright’s big mouth was Bright telling Reid that Ephram would have and should have gone to the audition. Ephram, you might love jazz the most but you screwed up rejecting the audition you received not once but twice. I guess it was meant to be. I do like this apartment setting since it is nice having frequent Ephram and Bright interaction.

ANDY/HAROLD/EPHRAM/BRIGHT PARALLEL

Harold felt threatened by Andy’s gift as a surgeon and Bright felt threatened by Ephram’s gift as a pianist. Harold and Bright both felt like Andy and Ephram and their gifts threatened their closeness with them too. I never noticed this parallel until now.

EPHRAM/ANDY

It is nice to see Andy and Ephram finally having mature (even with some humor) conversations again. I like that Ephram is attempting to get his life together and Andy is letting him do it, but I still think their situation would have worked out more smoothly if financially they figured things out better. For that matter, Ephram could have gone to Utah to camp in the mountains over the summer instead of expensive Europe, and ultimately losing his piano. He didn’t have to sell his piano and could have immediately made money teaching piano to kids upon his return. It is frustrating since things did not have to be so difficult but it is what it is. By the way, Ephram, you know better… you can never sell the microwave or you are stuck with Andy’s terrible cooking until Nina permanently saves the day.

EPHRAM

Well, it is clear he wants both Amy and his piano back. Ephram is trying to reclaim both. Obviously he needs cash (although, please just explain to Andy you need some help) but he wants piano back in his life, he craves the passion he feels while embracing his gift. I think Ephram taking the path of piano lessons is a way to self-consciously keep piano in his life, due to personal happiness but also figuring out what he wants to do for a career. All of this is rolling around in the back of his mind. I mean, the first time he sat at the piano and played, just to show Kyle how it was done was like Andy back in the operating room after a break. Piano is his passion, it takes him to other places where he feels good about himself, he feels the energy as it allows him to escape to this beautiful place that makes him feel at home. He feels at peace. Nothing else offers him this Heaven on Earth. Piano and Amy make his heart and soul sing. Deep down, Ephram understands this.

REID

Reid working out in the apartment in front of Ephram and Bright was funny. Reid was in only one scene which works for me. I am neutral when it comes to Reid. In a perfect Everwood scenario both Reid and Stephanie never appear in the final season but both characters are relatively harmless, thankfully. So it is fine watching it play out knowing how everything concludes.

HAROLD/ROSE

There is something about Rose’s oncologist that bothers me. She just comes across as so serious with depressing energy and actual hope way secondary.

As for Harold and Rose… I really like how they were united in this episode overall. Harold defended Rose when the Town was coming at her. Their scene at the end after finding out the cancer was gone was just beautiful. A masterful display of acting between Tom and Merrilyn in this powerfully moving scene.

ROSE/TOWN

While the town had a right to ask about Rose’s health all I kept thinking about was conservative politics. This party is all about what can you do for me and forgetting about the essence of what it is to be human if it doesn’t give you money, confidence and power. Rose supported this town for a decade and change and they simply do not care. They don’t even care about if Rose is sick for Rose. They only care about what she can and cannot do for them. They forget how much she helped them over the years. Harold’s speech was perfect. Also, I guess due to what’s happening in this country seeing a woman being questioned about her health bothers me even if the context here is different. But what perplexed me is the timing of it all. I know you cannot control the timing of an election and Rose never thought for a second she would lose but if the town understood her results were excellent and the cancer was gone I am sure they would have elected her again. It is disappointing she finds out the test results at the same time she lost the election. Just another 24 hours and calling a town meeting to report the news might have made a difference. Oh well, it wasn’t meant to be. The small town is conservative, rigid and wanted someone “stable” in their minds who would help them even though they should have been there for Rose. Sharks.

EDNA/HAROLD

I love how Edna recognized what was going on with Harold. While he is worried about the campaign, he is also worried about Rose, he carries so much guilt for the delay in diagnosis. It has to be especially frustrating since he is a doctor, a husband and in his mind, the cancer was caught later than it should have been. He feels guilt and fear. I love how Edna pulled out her son’s emotional struggle, listened to him and the second he was finished, picked up the phone and started making calls to help her son and daughter-in-law. Edna’s intuition as a mother understood her son needed to unload the pain he was silently carrying. What a wonderful scene. Edna and Harold have evolved so much together. S5 would have been amazing seeing this mother and son pairing spend a lot of time together.

ROSE/BRIGHT

The town is awful, Rose officially loses and another beautiful mother and son moment. Bright’s words were so loving and caring. When Bright told Rose that she was his mom… what a moment. It made a tough moment while handling the election loss so much easier. Rose telling Bright she needed to get him a library card was the best.

KYLE/EPHRAM

Kyle is definitely S1 Ephram. He was against being told what to do, never wanted lessons, had an arrogance about his gift even if he was guarded at the same time. The interesting aspect to this dynamic and a gifted kid in general is Kyle telling Ephram his mom doesn’t have money to pay him. Andy has unlimited means to help Ephram further his gift for the piano and you have to wonder if Ephram even recognizes this. Ephram was blessed with a professionally successful father who has endless money to help him. Ephram never had to worry like Kyle does. Maybe if Ephram would have realized this earlier he wouldn’t have skipped out on the audition or coldly sold a piano that was never his to sell. Or maybe he would’ve remembered that Andy did everything in his power to make sure his gift was properly utilized even if it meant keeping the Madison pregnancy a secret. Andy cared and tried helping him both emotionally and financially. You have to wonder if Ephram now realizes as much while listening to Kyle’s story. That said, it was very sweet of Ephram to still teach Kyle without getting paid. Thing is, Ephram is not just helping Kyle; without realizing it Kyle is helping Ephram regain his passion for his gift… piano. In addition, Kyle is allowing Ephram to discover what he wants to do for a living with his gift. I really love this special professional relationship that also turns out being quite close personally as well.

HANNAH/JAKE

How weird Jake wanted to make Bright and Hannah stay for dinner. I also find it borderline creepy and definitely out of line that Jake found an excuse to enter Hannah‘s room and proceeded to start putting down rules like she’s almost an inmate in a house she has been living in for over a year. Hannah is staying there because there’s an arrangement between her parents and Nina and Jake has nothing to do with this arrangement. Why on earth would Jake feel like he had power in this situation? He also should not be entering Hannah’s room she sleeps in, he is not her father, stepfather, he is not even her friend, they do not even know each other. Hannah is absolutely right. Jake is a stranger to her. She also has every right to wonder why he is living with Nina and what might be going on there, especially while he is trying to put down rules. When Jake kind of lingers at the door and Hannah has her back to him, it just feels really uncomfortable. Why would a strange man be entering the room a teenage girl he doesn’t know sleeps in and try to control her situation? I absolutely despise this scene.

ANDY/DELIA

I like that Delia wants to have a bat mitzvah. Ephram had the same thing but is Ephram considered a practicing Jew? Ephram didn’t even want to discuss with Delia. Andy didn’t even know there was a different ceremony name for boys and girls. The family certainly wasn’t in sync with any of this. It seems Julia didn’t share her faith or wishes for their children with Andy. However, it all worked out and Delia will get her ceremony. I love how Delia mentioned Mexico which means she remembered her time with Andy and they had fun. Andy’s words to Delia were so sweet. It is a part of her, and she should never forget who she is. Julia’s spirit was circling around the entire conversation. Obviously the medical case had a profound effect on Andy as well which made it important for his daughter to embrace her mother’s religion.

EPHRAM/AMY

Amy knows Ephram better than Ephram knows Ephram. The second she heard he was getting back into piano she understood what a big deal it is and didn’t let Ephram get away with downplaying it either in order to be set up for a fall. I love Amy’s strength. I love how Ephram and Amy continue to be drawn to each other like white on rice. Coincidence Ephram would think to post the piano job advertisement at the place Amy works and go there late at night so he can talk to Amy privately and bring up piano to her? No.

This exchange was profound and more than just a joke:

Quote:
Ephram: You want a lesson?

Amy: Oh, yeah, I really, uh, wanna put myself in a situation where you get to tell me what to do and I pay you for it, but, um… I'm glad that you're playing again.
^ Amy’s reaction is a subtle hint hidden as a joke to say she still cannot fully trust him or have faith in their relationship right now. She is still sensitive and protecting her heart.

I also love their second scene with Ephram sitting there and as they notice each other… their legendary eye contact is swirling around. Amy telling Ephram piano shouldn’t be connected with the bad stuff from last year was such sage advice. Just Amy being there listening, counseling, advising a case can be made Ephram doesn’t even deserve it. It had to bring back bad memories for Amy too. But she’s there. Their connection is unstoppable.

This exchange was all about them, not piano:

Quote:
Ephram: I guess sometimes it's just hard to know when to give up or when to keep trying, right?

Amy: Just gotta follow your instincts, I guess.
The Greg and Emily chemistry continues to be unbelievably amazing.

ABBOTT FAMILY BREAKFAST

Congratulations, Irv, your book is good to go. Sibling bickering, Rose asking if Harold’s letter was censored again, and Harold obsessing over the mayor news, things are happening. These meals and moments under the Abbott roof are always pure gold.

ANDY/LOUISE/HAROLD OFFICE

Louise had a few lines in her exchanges with Andy and Harold. What a nice scene since Louise is awesome and never gets enough screen time. Finally.

MEDICAL CASE

Initially, I could not relate at all to why that man would want to remember such a horrible time in his life. I actually would give anything to forget witnessing my mom‘s death. I know it was an important moment, even a very spiritual moment for everyone involved. But I do not view that moment as anything I want to remember. I view it as the worst moment of my entire life and if I could change it or erase it I would. I rather just feel like my mom passed away and is in a way better place now. It is definitely not necessary for me to remember the day. That is human me speaking since spiritual me understands the divine timing. In this case on the show… the man is willing to die prematurely on his wife because he doesn’t want to forget a horrible event? The Holocaust certainly was a horrible event. But I don’t remotely understand why this is even a choice. You don’t consciously make a decision to leave your loved ones early when you have a benign tumor, not a cancerous one, and one of the best surgeons in the country operating on you and just say forget it, I rather remember the Holocaust. It does not make any sense to me. It was good that they went ahead with the surgery and accommodations were made so Betty could talk to him about history during the surgery which was really nice.

In the end, this medical case spiritually I could relate to. Sometimes the bad moments have to be remembered because the journey is never easy and both good and bad moments are involved in your path. Sometimes the bad moments even make you the person you end up evolving to be. It is a spiritual journey after all.

NINA/JAKE

Did we have to see them in bed doing what I think they were doing? Yuck. Go away, the both of you. I do not even want to see Nina right now because she is so attached to Jake. That said, Jake is obviously right that Nina should be aware of the fact that Hannah is dating Bright (not Topher), Amy has a unique college schedule and Hannah is at the apartment, not the Abbott’s anymore. At least Jake got something right in this episode. Where he went wrong is going to Hannah first. It was Nina’s responsibility and concern all along even if they agreed to mutually handle it together. Nina should have lead the way and Jake did not need to be a creeper and enter Hannah’s room acting like a controlling lunatic.

BRIGHT/DELIA

Their interaction started in S1 with Delia’s crush and it maintained over the years as a cute little friendship. They really are comfortable and familiar even if Bright should not lose her when out and about. LOL. I always love the scenes between Bright and Delia, they have a cute friendship. I could see in the future Bright studying Delia’s first serious boyfriend making sure he was going to treat her right.

FINAL THOUGHTS

- Amy's advice to Ephram about playing and that he was playing long before he met her or Madison was pure perfection. It resonated with Ephram. Amy did not have to be there giving him advice. But she couldn’t help herself since she loves him.

- The Bright and Rose scene was so special. Sage Bright appears saying cancer does not have to be the most defining thing about you. Bright telling Rose she is his mother was my favorite moment ever between Bright and Rose.

- Harold putting the political pin on Louise and even telling her how to showcase it with Louise demonstrating was perfect.

- The final scene with Rose telling Harold the cancer is gone was classic Everwood. Masterpiece.

- What letter of Harold’s was censored once again?

The main theme of the episode is always remembering who you are, never losing yourself no matter the circumstances thrown your way, and embracing what is most important to you. Overall I thought it was a good episode and looking forward to the next one.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-25-2022 at 09:29 AM
Old 09-25-2022, 03:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I will watch soon!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 04:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Sounds good!

I literally watch and get thoughts up immediately because of the NFL starting back up again. I love NFL Sunday’s and watching uninterrupted. Monday’s I could watch but there’s work and Monday Night Football. LOL.

So watching and getting my thoughts up before noon Sunday works out perfectly.
Old 09-25-2022, 09:47 PM
Administrator

I thought that this was another excellent and thought-provoking episode of this show, which followed the theme of how remnants and memories of your past become a part of who you are even as you face an uncertain future.

We saw Bright, Ephram and Delia at a job fair as Ephram tried to find a job, and Delia was bored but happy to be with Bright, who revealed that his father was paying his room and board and tuition. We saw Ephram going around to different prospective employers with no luck. We saw that Bright had lost Delia in the crowd which greatly concerned Ephram, who said that she was still a kid, and Bright hilariously said that Delia had this “Dakota Fanning thing going on. She acts like a 40-year-old. It freaks me out!” We then saw Delia talking to a Priest and after she told him she was Jewish, he said that she was probably preparing for her Bat Mitzvah, but she said that her and her mother had talked about it but now she was gone, so she didn’t think that she would have one. The priest explained how a Bat Mitzvah was a significant milestone in the Jewish tradition, and that it was the rite of passage between childhood and adulthood, which piqued Delia’s interest, and when she got back from the job fair, she told Andy that she wanted to have a Bat Mitzvah.

Back at the Brown house, Ephram said that he wanted to have a garage sale, and he hilariously wanted to sell Andy’s stuff as he covetously eyed their microwave!

We saw Rose and Harold at her Oncologist’s office as she got finished having a PET Scan and Dr. Chao said that they should have the results in a week, and Rose asked what would happen if the cancer was still there, and Dr. Chao explained that they would still have options, but the treatments wouldn’t be as effective the second time around, which caused Harold and Rose a great deal of concern.

Back at the apartment, Ephram was putting together a flyer to teach piano lessons, and Bright brought up how Ephram walked out on his Julliard audition due to Madisongate in front of Reid, which clearly upset Ephram, and he said that he hoped that Ephram wouldn’t go back to “Piano Ephram,” obsessively focusing on this piano playing, because he said that “Piano Ephram” was a “buzzkill,” showing his usual total lack of couth.

We saw Andy talking to an older Jewish couple Max and Betty Bericks, about a brain tumor that Max had, and he talked about performing surgery to remove the tumor, but he also talked to them about the possible side effects of that surgery, which included memory loss, and as soon as Max heard the term “memory loss” he immediately declined considering the surgery and his worried wife said that she would talk to him.

We saw Jake and Nina at her house, and Nina was cooking a delicious flank steak meal, and Jake invited Bright and Hannah, who were heading out on a dinner date, to join them for dinner, but Hannah in particular said that she didn’t want to stay for dinner although Bright hilariously said he could eat two meals! Ah youth!

We saw Ephram come to see Amy at Sam’s and he asked if he could post his flyer to teach piano at the restaurant, and Amy asked him if emotionally, wouldn’t it be hard to be around something he loved and not actually be a part of it, and her question could very well apply to them as well, but Ephram didn’t pick up on it.

Back at the Abbott house, Harold ranted and raved about how Rose’s former protégé, Patty Payton, was running against her for mayor, and he angrily made plans to counter this betrayal and call a town meeting to convince people to vote for Rose.

We saw Ephram meet Kyle Hunter, who had come to him for piano lessons. We saw that Kyle was a very cocky and arrogant young man who wanted to set some “ground rules” for their lessons, and he said that he was applying for Julliard even though he was a Junior in High School, and Ephram did his best to look past his cockiness and see that he was very talented.

We saw Jake come to see Hannah and he arrogantly told her that she should give Nina notice if she wasn’t going to make it to dinner, and Hannah told Jake that he was taking advantage of Nina by moving into her house and living there rent-free while he wasn’t even engaged to her, and she told him that he wasn’t her Dad, and in fact he wasn’t anything to her. Go Hannah! Jake later talked to Nina about the argument that Hannah and him had, and they both agreed that they would need to set some ground rules for Hannah.

We saw Andy talk to Harold about his case and how he was waiting to hear from the Bericks, and Harold told him to not be too pushy because they needed time to consider the brain surgery and all the possible side effects that might come with such a surgery, including memory loss, hearing loss, and paralysis, and that they needed some time to weigh all the pros and cons. Louise said that she couldn’t imagine what it would be like to lose her memory and learn everything again, and Harold sneeringly said “Yes, tragic. Days of studying down the tubes,” but Louise ignored the insult and said “It’s not just relearning but re-remembering all the people in your life.” Harold then said that Andy couldn’t guarantee them anything and that he and Rose were in limbo while they waited for the results of her PET Scan, and he was asking these people to live in the unknown for the rest of their lives.

We saw Ephram blow up at Kyle, whose attitude really got to him, and he abruptly ended their lesson and he said that he wasn’t coming back, but after talking to Amy, who gave him some wonderful advice about not closing the door on his talent forever, he reconsidered and he gave Kyle another chance even though Kyle informed him that he couldn’t pay him because it wasn’t in his mother’s budget.

We saw Harold organize a town meeting on behalf of Rose, but the people at the meeting peppered her with questions about her cancer, and she was caught off guard because at that point they hadn’t received the results of her PET scan, and Harold defended Rose and he said that she had always been there for the people of Everwood and they needed to be there for her, but unfortunately his passionate words fell on deaf ears, and Rose lost the election.

We saw Andy talk to Betty, Max’s wife, and she explained that Max was a Holocaust survivor, and he had lost his entire family during that horrific time, and he didn’t want to forget where he had come from, and she asked him to think about the most painful thing that ever happened to him, and if he was able to take a magic pill to erase the memory of it, would he do it, and Andy replied that he wouldn’t, and she said that he wouldn’t because it was part of what made him who he was today Andy proposed a compromise where Betty could recount memories to Max while he was in surgery, and she agreed to do it, saying “A part of being Jewish, a big part, is to remember our history. Another big part is to believe, but you can't always survive just by being practical. You do what you can, but you have to leave room for a miracle.”

Inspired by what Betty had said, Andy told Delia that one way or the other, she would have her Bat Mitzvah and it would take about six months of study on her part to make that happen, but he wasn’t going to renege on any more promises (as he had done earlier in the episode) and that her Judaism should always be a part of her just like it was always a part of her mom, and no matter where she goes in life, he wanted her never to forget who she was and where she came from.

We saw a despondent Rose talk to Bright, who gave her some wonderful and loving advice, and she talked about how everyone just saw her as a cancer victim now and she might as well wear a Red C on her chest (alluding to The Scarlet Letter, which hilariously went right over Bright’s head) and Bright said that she was the same person that she had always been and that cancer didn’t change any of that, and he told her about Lance Armstrong, and when she said that she wasn’t Lance Armstrong, he said “No, you’re not, you’re better. You’re my mom.” I just loved what Bright said to Rose in this scene and it moved me to tears.

The episode ended on a high note as Rose told Harold that Doctor Chao had called and that her PET Scan results had come back and they were negative, and her cancer was all gone.

Overall, I really loved and was moved by this wonderful episode, which had a wonderful theme about how there are pieces of us from our past that will always be a part of us and make us who we are.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 05:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
I thought that this was another excellent and thought-provoking episode of this show, which followed the theme of how remnants and memories of your past become a part of who you are even as you face an uncertain future.
Well said, Jerry.

Quote:
We saw Bright, Ephram and Delia at a job fair as Ephram tried to find a job, and Delia was bored but happy to be with Bright, who revealed that his father was paying his room and board and tuition. We saw Ephram going around to different prospective employers with no luck. We saw that Bright had lost Delia in the crowd which greatly concerned Ephram, who said that she was still a kid, and Bright hilariously said that Delia had this “Dakota Fanning thing going on. She acts like a 40-year-old. It freaks me out!” We then saw Delia talking to a Priest and after she told him she was Jewish, he said that she was probably preparing for her Bat Mitzvah, but she said that her and her mother had talked about it but now she was gone, so she didn’t think that she would have one. The priest explained how a Bat Mitzvah was a significant milestone in the Jewish tradition, and that it was the rite of passage between childhood and adulthood, which piqued Delia’s interest, and when she got back from the job fair, she told Andy that she wanted to have a Bat Mitzvah.
I loved the Ephram/Delia/Bright interaction and the comedy inserted in there was so great. Delia is very wise and so appropriate Bright would be the one to point this out.

Quote:
Back at the Brown house, Ephram said that he wanted to have a garage sale, and he hilariously wanted to sell Andy’s stuff as he covetously eyed their microwave! :lol:
LOL! It was hilarious.

I still can’t believe that they wouldn’t have come up with an easier way for Ephram to bring in some money. I think it kind of was a small punishment for Ephram taking off for Europe and selling his piano. But Andy should have said if he was in school full-time he’d pay for housing and essentials.

Quote:
We saw Rose and Harold at her Oncologist’s office as she got finished having a PET Scan and Dr. Chao said that they should have the results in a week, and Rose asked what would happen if the cancer was still there, and Dr. Chao explained that they would still have options, but the treatments wouldn’t be as effective the second time around, which caused Harold and Rose a great deal of concern.
This oncologist looked like she enjoyed sharing worst case scenarios, it was bizarre. LOL. Andy seemed really confident and optimistic overall even if he isn’t an oncologist. He is still the surgeon who understood what the tumor looked like out of anyone since he saw it during the surgery. Andy never seemed super concerned with long-term scenarios.

Quote:
Back at the apartment, Ephram was putting together a flyer to teach piano lessons, and Bright brought up how Ephram walked out on his Julliard audition due to Madisongate in front of Reid, which clearly upset Ephram, and he said that he hoped that Ephram wouldn’t go back to “Piano Ephram,” obsessively focusing on this piano playing, because he said that “Piano Ephram” was a “buzzkill,” showing his usual total lack of couth.
Bright certainly went all ridiculous during this moment. LOL. Plus, it never made sense since he also told Reid that Ephram should have attended the audition and seemed proud while telling Reid about his friend’s gift.

Quote:
We saw Andy talking to an older Jewish couple Max and Betty Bericks, about a brain tumor that Max had, and he talked about performing surgery to remove the tumor, but he also talked to them about the possible side effects of that surgery, which included memory loss, and as soon as Max heard the term “memory loss” he immediately declined considering the surgery and his worried wife said that she would talk to him.
This medical case felt a little weird to me. Most people would be happy that the tumor was clearly benign and an incredibly talented neurosurgeon was in town to remove it. On top of it all, if he wouldn’t have gone through with the surgery even if it was a benign tumor it would have continued to grow and certainly started to affect neurological function, including memory. He already had symptoms and they would continue to get worse. Surgery was the main way to prevent memory from going and other symptoms. Like Andy said even if memory was affected during surgery there was a strong chance it was very short-term. Not doing the surgery would have affected memory and killed him eventually. Not doing the surgery would have been ridiculous.

Quote:
We saw Jake and Nina at her house, and Nina was cooking a delicious flank steak meal, and Jake invited Bright and Hannah, who were heading out on a dinner date, to join them for dinner, but Hannah in particular said that she didn’t want to stay for dinner although Bright hilariously said he could eat two meals! :lol: Ah youth! :lol:
Jake looked so strange in this moment so thankfully Bright lightened the mood.

Quote:
We saw Ephram come to see Amy at Sam’s and he asked if he could post his flyer to teach piano at the restaurant, and Amy asked him if emotionally, wouldn’t it be hard to be around something he loved and not actually be a part of it, and her question could very well apply to them as well, but Ephram didn’t pick up on it.
That’s a great point. I think Amy was certainly talking piano with them also in mind. I think later he picked up on it in the second scene because he asked her when you should know to stop trying and Amy replied to go with your intuition.

Quote:
Back at the Abbott house, Harold ranted and raved about how Rose’s former protégé, Patty Payton, was running against her for mayor, and he angrily made plans to counter this betrayal and call a town meeting to convince people to vote for Rose.
It’s too bad there wasn’t a “Vice-Mayor” around because the stupid rigid conservative Town might have re-elected Rose.

Quote:
We saw Ephram meet Kyle Hunter, who had come to him for piano lessons. We saw that Kyle was a very cocky and arrogant young man who wanted to set some “ground rules” for their lessons, and he said that he was applying for Julliard even though he was a Junior in High School, and Ephram did his best to look past his cockiness and see that he was very talented.
Good introduction in what turns out being a great storyline.

Quote:
We saw Jake come to see Hannah and he arrogantly told her that she should give Nina notice if she wasn’t going to make it to dinner, and Hannah told Jake that he was taking advantage of Nina by moving into her house and living there rent-free while he wasn’t even engaged to her, and she told him that he wasn’t her Dad, and in fact he wasn’t anything to her. Go Hannah! Jake later talked to Nina about the argument that Hannah and him had, and they both agreed that they would need to set some ground rules for Hannah.
Jake, and this entire storyline made me uncomfortable.

Quote:
We saw Andy talk to Harold about his case and how he was waiting to hear from the Bericks, and Harold told him to not be too pushy because they needed time to consider the brain surgery and all the possible side effects that might come with such a surgery, including memory loss, hearing loss, and paralysis, and that they needed some time to weigh all the pros and cons. Louise said that she couldn’t imagine what it would be like to lose her memory and learn everything again, and Harold sneeringly said “Yes, tragic. Days of studying down the tubes,” but Louise ignored the insult and said “It’s not just relearning but re-remembering all the people in your life.” Harold then said that Andy couldn’t guarantee them anything and that he and Rose were in limbo while they waited for the results of her PET Scan, and he was asking these people to live in the unknown for the rest of their lives.
Every Harold and Andy scene in S4 so far has been spectacular. We even received Louise getting in a line or two which was the cherry on top.

Quote:
We saw Ephram blow up at Kyle, whose attitude really got to him, and he abruptly ended their lesson and he said that he wasn’t coming back, but after talking to Amy, who gave him some wonderful advice about not closing the door on his talent forever, he reconsidered and he gave Kyle another chance even though Kyle informed him that he couldn’t pay him because it wasn’t in his mother’s budget.
Is Ephram giving lessons to others or just Kyle? I’m wondering how he managed to bring in extra income during this time period. I don’t remember if it’s ever stated.

Quote:
We saw Harold organize a town meeting on behalf of Rose, but the people at the meeting peppered her with questions about her cancer, and she was caught off guard because at that point they hadn’t received the results of her PET scan, and Harold defended Rose and he said that she had always been there for the people of Everwood and they needed to be there for her, but unfortunately his passionate words fell on deaf ears, and Rose lost the election.
Typically I find the Town insufferable and this is a prime example of why.

Quote:
We saw Andy talk to Betty, Max’s wife, and she explained that Max was a Holocaust survivor, and he had lost his entire family during that horrific time, and he didn’t want to forget where he had come from, and she asked him to think about the most painful thing that ever happened to him, and if he was able to take a magic pill to erase the memory of it, would he do it, and Andy replied that he wouldn’t, and she said that he wouldn’t because it was part of what made him who he was today Andy proposed a compromise where Betty could recount memories to Max while he was in surgery, and she agreed to do it, saying “A part of being Jewish, a big part, is to remember our history. Another big part is to believe, but you can't always survive just by being practical. You do what you can, but you have to leave room for a miracle.”

Inspired by what Betty had said, Andy told Delia that one way or the other, she would have her Bat Mitzvah and it would take about six months of study on her part to make that happen, but he wasn’t going to renege on any more promises (as he had done earlier in the episode) and that her Judaism should always be a part of her just like it was always a part of her mom, and no matter where she goes in life, he wanted her never to forget who she was and where she came from.
It was neat how Judaism was utilized for both the medical case and Delia’s storyline. I loved how Andy didn’t disappoint Delia.

Quote:
We saw a despondent Rose talk to Bright, who gave her some wonderful and loving advice, and she talked about how everyone just saw her as a cancer victim now and she might as well wear a Red C on her chest (alluding to The Scarlet Letter, which hilariously went right over Bright’s head) and Bright said that she was the same person that she had always been and that cancer didn’t change any of that, and he told her about Lance Armstrong, and when she said that she wasn’t Lance Armstrong, he said “No, you’re not, you’re better. You’re my mom.” I just loved what Bright said to Rose in this scene and it moved me to tears.
Not only my favorite Bright and Rose scene of all time, but one of my favorite scenes of the entire series.

Quote:
The episode ended on a high note as Rose told Harold that Doctor Chao had called and that her PET Scan results had come back and they were negative, and her cancer was all gone.
What a moment. All I keep thinking about is how talented Merrilyn Gann is. We should have received so much more Rose throughout the series. She hit it out of the park flawlessly during this storyline.

Quote:
Overall, I really loved and was moved by this wonderful episode, which had a wonderful theme about how there are pieces of us from our past that will always be a part of us and make us who we are.
The final season really brought the quality. But then again, it is Everwood… quality is always there and so much more.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-26-2022 at 06:12 AM
Old 09-26-2022, 07:05 AM
Administrator

Thanks for responding to my commentary Michelle. I'm going to respond to your wonderful commentary tonight when I get home. I'm at work and the spies are around, so I can't be on here long.

I had a few thoughts:

It didn't make sense that Harold would say that Andy couldn’t guarantee Max and Betty anything and that he and Rose were in limbo while they waited for the results of her PET Scan, and he was asking these people to live in the unknown for the rest of their lives. If Andy performed the surgery and it was successful, how would Max and Betty be living in the unknown for the rest of their lives? He would be better, his memory would be intact, or he would soon recover his memory, so that line made no sense to me. The only way they would be living in the unknown is if Max didn't have the surgery.

You brought up a good point asking if Ephram was teaching anyone else the piano. He would have to be if he needed the money. I thought that Andy was unreasonable about not paying Ephram's board, because sharing an apartment in Everwood would cost a lot less than living in a dorm in New York.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Old 09-26-2022, 07:26 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

You’re welcome and sounds good, Jerry!

The Harold and Andy conversation about the medical case did not make any sense. The patient did not have cancer, he had a benign tumor Andy could remove in his sleep. You always have to give the worst case scenario even though Andy was very confident not only as a surgeon but the outcome of this case. He emphasized memory loss even if it happened would most probably be just that… short-term. Harold’s words didn’t make sense. All of those scenarios, especially paralysis, were only a remote possibility. They say the three most serious surgeries you can have are brain surgery, heart surgery and a woman having a hysterectomy. Obviously all three are very detailed and under the category of serious surgeries. I was told right before my hysterectomy when they put the spinal anesthetic in there was a slight chance of paralysis but everyone knows that happens about one in a million statistically. I wasn’t the least bit concerned. I had other things to be worried about given the actual surgery and what it does to a woman long-term, let alone just making sure it was a benign process which they suspected and later confirmed. In this case on Everwood, the patient not getting the surgery would have been living in the unknown, not only waiting to eventually die, but his current symptoms which brought him to Andy in the first place would have only gotten worse, and it can be pretty much a certainty his memory would have been significantly altered as his condition worsened.

Yes, I don’t think it was ever mentioned how Ephram was paying for rent and food after this episode. I also find it strange that Andy would have to be very much aware of the fact that Harold was supporting Bright financially and Ephram was his own son living with Bright who was fully supported and he was not. Between the two, even if Ephram really screwed up at the end of last season selling his piano and heading to expensive Europe when he could’ve just gone to Utah or Pacific Northwest for nature and getting away instead… if anyone deserved help for a college education it should have been Ephram who always applied himself and got good grades before this time. A case can be made Harold and Rose should have told Bright he had to live at home if he wanted housing and financial support in order to increase his chances of a successful college education he delayed for a couple years. So Andy supporting Ephram for a college education really should have been automatic.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-26-2022 at 08:02 AM
Old 09-26-2022, 08:27 AM
Administrator

Another point that I wanted to make was that Jake had no business going to see Hannah and barking orders at her, and Jake came off as really creepy when he talked to Hannah. I love how instinctively Hannah can't stand Jake, just like the rest of us!

Old 09-26-2022, 08:45 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Yes, you will see in my review how repulsed and angry I felt watching that scene. It is interesting because I remember watching that scene for the first time and being annoyed by Jake but never having anger like I do now. Watching it in the present it just feels so much bigger and inappropriate.

I wish we would have received a private scene between Hannah and Nina with Hannah even telling Nina she felt uncomfortable when Jake entered her room and they could have discussed appropriate plans for Hannah living there now that she was seeing Bright, spending time at the apartment with Nina reassuring Hannah that Jake would respect her space.
Old 09-26-2022, 08:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

What makes the entire scenario even worse is Hannah battling the loss of her father. Truth be told, he might still be alive, but emotionally and even spiritually he’s not there anymore and Hannah feels that loss. So to have someone like Jake, some strange man she doesn’t even know enter her space and act like she was doing something wrong and had to suddenly listen to this male stranger had to be so shocking and tough on Hannah.

Hannah is obviously a decent teenager. It’s not like Nina ever had a problem with her. So bizarre and strange how Jake initially chose to handle the situation.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Yes, Hannah was always an exemplary young lady who never gave Nina any cause for concern, and Jake had no right to say anything to her. You also brought up an excellent point about Hannah having to deal with the impending loss of her father, so she didn’t need some creepy guy who moved in with Nina trying to act like he was her father or telling her what to do. I loved it when she said “You’re nothing to me” to Jake, and he needed to hear that, because he was way out of bounds talking to Hannah like he did.

Old 09-26-2022, 12:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Yes, Hannah was always an exemplary young lady who never gave Nina any cause for concern, and Jake had no right to say anything to her. You also brought up an excellent point about Hannah having to deal with the impending loss of her father, so she didn’t need some creepy guy who moved in with Nina trying to act like he was her father or telling her what to do. I loved it when she said “You’re nothing to me” to Jake, and he needed to hear that, because he was way out of bounds talking to Hannah like he did.
100%, Jerry. What bothers me after the scene is what Jake got out of it. Jake concentrated on if he should propose to Nina. That is basically all he seemed to focus on, not that it was clear he upset and made Hannah feel uncomfortable. It should’ve been the first thing he said to Nina… it appears as if he upset Hannah and could she make sure she wasn’t bothered by his stupid decision to talk to her anymore. He never mentioned this. I also wish there would have been a scene on screen between Nina and Hannah. With Bright moved out it’s almost too bad Hannah couldn’t have moved in with the Abbott’s senior year until she went away to college.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:26 PM
Fan Forum Hero

My Thoughts.....

Delia and Bright make such a cute couple, although Delia is a little more mature than Bright! LOL

Can you imagine Ephram in the Army?? Though....his upcoming mullet would look better shaved!

How presumptious of Ephram to intend to sell Andy´s stuff...Hilarous..but so self-centered Ephram!
Delia does have a lot to teach her dad and brother. So much wisdom!
A Bat Mitzvah on Tavern on the Green would have been so awesome!

Bright talks too much and Reid is much too nosy!

Finally we get varification that Hannah does actually live with NIna. She appears to be somewhat cold to Jake. Interesting...

I love when Amy says, ¨what?¨"when Ephram tells her she´s make that face. Amy says that alot in similar situations. So adorable.
Amy knows Ephram more than he knows himself and she realizes that it will be very very difficult for Ephram to be around a piano.

Kyle does not make a very good first impression. I just can wait for Ephram to show him up!
I guess Ephram learned the term: Expository Paragraph in his honors English class.

I don´t believe it´s Jake´s job to disipline Hannah. She´s not his daughter. But from past experience it´s pretty frustrating to prepare a large nice meal and no one eats it! And...I do believe Jake feels that Nina is too easy going and wants to have her back.
Hannah did give it right back to Jake...so...Touche!

When Harold is on a crusade mission....stay back. He is a great one to have in you´re corner if there is a problem. Harold definitely has Rose´s back!

If Kyle knows so much about piano why doesn´t he just teach himself? Can it be that Ephram has nothing to add to Kyleś knowledge??
Amy was right....Being around a piano is very upsetting for Ephram.

I don´t Jake and Nina have anything to worry about regarding Hannah hanging around Bright.

Amy and Ephram are becoming really comfortable around each other. Amy is giving you good advice, Ephram. Listen to her! And regarding keep trying....keep trying to win Amy back!

Ok...it is very generous for Ephram to teach Kyle for free, but I thought Ephram was doing this for the money. How are you going to pay your bills, Ephram???

Everwood´s townspeople are very opinionated....judgemental...and intolerant.

¨Ÿou´re better than Lance Armstrong. you´re my mom.¨
If Bright only knew the real story regarding Lance Amstrong!

Delia is so beautiful.....

The Cancer is gone!! The hell with the Mayoral race!!

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 09-26-2022 at 01:22 PM
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
My Thoughts.....

Delia and Bright make such a cute couple, although Delia is a little more mature than Bright! LOL
That’s so true.

It seems Delia got more out of the job fair than her brother and Bright given her conversation with a Catholic priest about Judaism.

Quote:
Can you imagine Ephram in the Army?? Though....his upcoming mullet would look better shaved!
Upcoming mullet.

Then again, Ephram said he had a bumpy head so which would be better? 1. Mullet. 2. Bald bumpy head.

Quote:
How presumptious of Ephram to intend to sell Andy´s stuff...Hilarous..but so self-centered Ephram!

It’s also silly because even if he made a few controversial decisions at the end of last season, Andy should be paying for his housing (even at the apartment) and all essentials. This is his son who had a very successful high school career. He deserves some assistance right now.

Quote:
Delia does have a lot to teach her dad and brother. So much wisdom!
A Bat Mitzvah on Tavern on the Green would have been so awesome!
Delia is a Sage!

Quote:
Bright talks too much and Reid is much too nosy!
Poor Ephram.

Quote:
Finally we get varification that Hannah does actually live with NIna. She appears to be somewhat cold to Jake. Interesting...
That is true. They never show her actually living with Nina until now. I think that’s what makes the encounter with Jake all the more annoying.

Quote:
I love when Amy says, ¨what?¨"when Ephram tells her she´s make that face. Amy says that alot in similar situations. So adorable.
What a great observation! A lot especially in S1.

Quote:
Amy knows Ephram more than he knows himself and she realizes that it will be very very difficult for Ephram to be around a piano.

Quote:
Kyle does not make a very good first impression. I just can wait for Ephram to show him up!
I guess Ephram learned the term: Expository Paragraph in his honors English class.
100%.

Quote:
I don´t believe it´s Kyle´s job to disipline Hannah. She´s not his daughter. But from past experience it´s pretty frustrating to prepare a large nice meal and no one eats it! And...I do believe Jake feels that Nina is too easy going and wants to have her back.
Hannah did give it right back to Jake...so...Touche!
Definitely not Jake’s job. Hannah did nothing wrong on top of it all! Pretty much the only reason why Nina was making a big meal was because of stupid Jake now living there. My guess is without him living there she made more low-key dinners for herself, Sam and Hannah.

Quote:
When Harold is on a crusade mission....stay back. He is a great one to have in you´re corner if there is a problem. Harold definitely has Rose´s back!
It’s so nice to see.

Quote:
If Kyle knows so much about piano why doesn´t he just teach himself? Can it be that Ephram has nothing to add to Kyleś knowledge??
Amy was right....Being around a piano is very upsetting for Ephram.
Kyle was a little annoying during their first scenes to say the least.

Amy understood completely.

Quote:
I don´t Jake and Nina have anything to worry about regarding Hannah hanging around Bright.
They definitely do not have to worry. I could see Nina asking a little more about what Hannah is doing since it transferred from the Abbott’s to three guys living in an apartment. But one of them living there is named Ephram Brown. Translation: No need to worry.

Quote:
Amy and Ephram are becoming really comfortable around each other. Amy is giving you good advice, Ephram. Listen to her! And regarding keep trying....keep trying to win Amy back!
I love how his expression and eyes watched Amy after she told him to follow his intuition.

For that matter, I just like that Ephram is being gentle about the situation. He’s not pressuring her to reunite even if he’s intelligently inserting signs in there that he misses and wants to be around her.

Quote:
Ok...it is very generous for Ephram to teach Kyle for free, but I thought Ephram was doing this for the money. How are you going to pay your bills, Ephram???
This part bothers me so much! LOL.

I don’t know if he’s helping others and getting paid or if it’s just Kyle. If it’s just Kyle, he should go to Andy and explain the situation and I would bet he would tell him you are in school, your life is an order and you’re helping someone out so I will help you out… I’ll pay your rent and essentials.

Quote:
Everwood´s townspeople are very opinionated....judgemental...and intolerant.
They are so selfish and rude.

Quote:
¨Ÿou´re better than Lance Armstrong. you´re my mom.¨
If Bright only knew the real story regarding Lance Amstrong!
Everwood’s age is showcased here.

Quote:
Delia is so beautiful.....

Quote:
The Cancer is gone!! The hell with the Mayoral race!!
Yes! That scene was so emotionally moving. Yes, it was awesome because the insinuation was the mayor race did not mean anything in that moment. Absolutely nothing. All that mattered was hearing that news and the relief felt by both Rose and Harold and soon, their children, was everything.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-26-2022 at 12:55 PM
Reply   Post New Thread