Old 09-11-2022, 07:14 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

2021-2023 Everwood Rewatch: Episode 4.02 - The Next Step

Rewatch Overview

The Next Step

SUMMARY

Andy learns that Ephram has no intention of moving back home, while Bright invites Ephram to move in with him and Reid. Meanwhile, Hannah begins to worry about the long term possibilities for her relationship with Bright after he shares his "three dates and out" policy; Harold suspects Andy is up to something after he frequently goes missing from the office; Nina and Jake have the grand opening for their new restaurant; and Ephram and Amy finally confront the unspoken fate of their relationship.

SEASON

EPISODE

AIR DATE
October 6, 2005

WRITER
Anna Fricke

DIRECTOR
Perry Lang
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 08:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

I really liked this episode since it brought you back to what makes Everwood special. It felt like we traveled back in time and recaptured the magic of Everwood Season One, while picking up a few more characters along the way during the Time Travel.

The theme of this episode captured the steps we take when relationships you care about change and how you adjust, both good and bad, to the change:

- Nina dealing with an evolving new restaurant.
- Nina and Andy adjusting to finding meaning in their new dynamic after romantic feelings had been revealed.
- Bright and Hannah are transitioning from friends to dating.
- Ephram and Amy are in a confusing state as Ephram wants to recapture what they once had but Amy is too hurt to consider going there again at this time.
- Harold is scared Andy is going to move on and primarily go back to surgery.
- Jake is dealing with how to include rules in the house and be the mature parental/fatherly figure.
- Delia and Ephram are trying to bond again as siblings.
- Ephram and Bright are starting a new chapter together as best friends living together.

Edna and Ephram: I loved the opening scene as they walked and talked and the banter flowed with Edna instantly asking Ephram if he talked to Amy.

Quote:
Edna to Ephram: Well, what are you waiting for, God to push you over there, or should I do it?
Ephram and Amy: I appreciated the awkwardness between them in the first scene. There was tension in every scene but this first scene really set the stage. As Harold greets Ephram, the expression on Amy's face says it all. Amy was overcome by emotion, nervously staring off into the distance. Harold smartly finds an excuse to leave the scene so Ephram and Amy can communicate.

I thought it was interesting the writers made Ephram and Amy a priority using both Edna and Harold to jumpstart and nurse them along. Edna and Harold instinctively understood it was important for Ephram and Amy to communicate immediately. Also, when you have the father and grandmother of the girl involved with the boy she had fallen in love with completely you know it is the real deal.

If you even slightly watched the end of S3 it was obvious Amy was pulling back from Ephram because she was way too hurt and confused. Add in her mother’s cancer diagnosis and Amy needed to protect herself. So Amy rightfully needed to pull back from Ephram and protect her heart is really the best way to describe what she has been determined to do.

In this episode at the beginning, they talked, Ephram cracked a joke to break the tension with the eye contact still intense without missing a beat. Amy then embraces the excuse of Rose waiting in the car, as Ephram cracks another joke about restraining orders which makes Amy nervously smile again, as she tells him goodbye. Amy leaves and Ephram watches her go. The realness Greg and Amy deliver is pure gold as I am sitting at the edge of my seat intensely watching every word exchanged and non-verbal communication expressed between Ephram and Amy.

It is immediate from this first scene that Ephram and Amy are not over each other. Amy was pulling back, a continuation from the end of last season. Amy made it clear at the end of last season she felt wounded and endured way too much pain to open her heart for more vulnerability. Just because Ephram decided to return from Europe after several months does not make her ready to stop being in protective mode. The most important point is Ephram now understands Amy pulling back right before he went to Europe is presently still in play and it will take some time to fix what is broken between them. But this is the beauty of Ephram and Amy and their story, however... even during their darkest moments the viewer always feels hope that the main romantic love story will eventually find their way again.

Bright and Ephram: Ephram mentions to Amy that he had been in communication with Bright while he was in Europe which was nice to hear. Ephram was getting updated on Rose's situation overall it seems from Bright. You could tell Bright missed his best friend while he was in Europe. These two are certainly close friends. While Bright did not have the best time enduring Ephram’s nonstop obsessive talk about Madison in S2 or the Babygate explosion at the end of S3, it needs to be remembered that Bright’s early S1 poor treatment of Ephram was despicable as well. Truth is, the Bright and Ephram friendship has never been without some intense drama, they definitely have been through a lot together. However, it seems like once they decided they wanted to be friends in S2 (even signs late S1), their friendship bond only strengthened. Ephram is now helping Bright out with his love life by giving him support. Bright also wanted Ephram to move in with him during the last part of S3 and never gave up hope it would eventually happen. Bright's wish came true in this episode since Ephram said he would move in with Bright (and Reid). Perfect. It also was a clever way to get Ephram and Amy around each other in a natural way again which we see soon. Good job, writers.

Andy and Harold: The classic S1 bantering and bickering is back. Harold stressing out over Andy demonstrates how much he cares about his friend. Harold's reaction to finding out Andy was doing more surgery was great. I love how far these two have come. Harold’s curiosity about Andy’s odd schedule was very funny. And of course the cookies and the scheduling would lead Harold’s mind to an affair. Harold was probably remembering Amanda so he let his mind wander appropriately. LOL. After Andy came clean about what he was doing, it all made sense and I mentioned this in my S3 finale review... of course Andy would want to return to surgery at least on some level since surgery is his gift, and what he does best. After Rose's successful surgery, Andy found his gift again. It made him happy. Andy hasn't been happy in a long time... fighting with Ephram, bleeding ulcer, terribly inappropriate affair, Madisongate in general, some of his interaction with Delia can be sensitive half the time, even his relationship with Harold was strained as they both kept the baby secret most of last season. Add in recently Andy finally figuring out what he should have known for a while now and that is he is in love with Nina but cannot be with her at this moment. The only thing that makes Andy feel like a success and gives him unconditional happiness is his gift as a surgeon. I also think he panicked when he saw Ephram abandon his piano and in his mind, throwing away his gift. Andy did not want to do the same with his gift so he embraced doing surgery on the side. It fits perfectly because Harold was not going to lose his best friend and business partner... Andy planned on remaining a primary physician in town just like Harold, but he would do some surgeries on the side as well. I really like that the writers decided to allow Andy to revisit being a surgeon again. It never registered nicely with me back in S1 and S2 when Andy as a surgeon in NYC was portrayed as almost dark, even his bedside manner was awful and the insinuation that he must give it up in order to be decent. I like that in the last part in S3 and all of S4, we are seeing Andy realizing he still can be a surgeon with this new version of himself without giving up Everwood, his patients, certainly his family and friends. I thought it was touching how sensitive Harold was to all of this. They truly are best friends.

Ephram and Delia: How I love the quick recovery of this brother and sister pairing. Ephram pulls Delia out of school as it is so clear how much they missed each other. The cherry on top was Delia calling out Amy's name. Thank you, Delia, for calling out Amy’s name as she is having lunch with Ephram, creating more Ephram and Amy tension. LOL. You feel Amy internally emotional as Ephram attempts to start a conversation with her, using his classic joking and witty personality but again, Amy pulls back, walks away, as Ephram's eyes instantly follow her. It is such a constant pattern going on for Ephram right now… watching Amy walk away (happens throughout the entire episode), looking at her the entire time. Delia notices something is up with Ephram and Amy because quite often she is the most intelligent person in the room. Delia gets it. I loved how excited Delia was to spend regular time again with Ephram and her big brother certainly feels the same way. Ephram picking Delia up at school made her feel so special. Even the popular girls were envious which had to make Delia feel like a million bucks, and it was really great to see Delia so excited. She’s right, she does have responsibilities. Poor Delia is pulled in two directions sometimes due to all the fighting between her father and brother (not to mention everything in S2 between Ephram and Madison) and she does not deserve the stress. All Delia wants is to spend time with her father and brother without the fighting. I love that Ephram made her feel really important in this episode because Delia deserves it and more.

Nina/Jake Restaurant: I have to say Nina's speech about Mama Joy being dead and accepting change... maybe Nina needs to take her own advice. She is staying in a safe but not true love relationship because she is afraid to reach for the stars with Andy. The grand opening of Sam’s was so drawn out and ridiculously boring. While the restaurant is a step above what once existed, did Nina and Jake (especially Nina who grew up in Everwood) forget that they are still in Everwood and not Los Angeles? The Townies love their basic food and drink. Why would they take away the basic food and drink from these people? They easily could have had a special section on the menu for the "fancier" food and drink that might eventually win over the Townies as they explore the entire menu over time. Over time, change is good but if you can help abruptly avoiding drastic change, all the better. Why would you erase all the basic food and drink these people enjoy? Even the stools Andy missed who hasn't even been in Everwood that long. The Townies could not even handle Harold's new bagel shop at the end of S2, so what made Nina think they would be able to handle such a "showy" restaurant without their regular food and drink still around? I found it quite bizarre and Jake leading the charge trying to explain this initially followed by Nina's ranting was overkill. I typically find the quirky mostly conservative characters in Everwood at fault for their weird takes but this episode I was pro-Townies and found Nina and Jake the "villains" of the storyline.

Andy and Delia: I loved how Andy made things right with Delia and apologized for coming down on her when he shouldn't have. It shows that Andy is attempting with all that's in him to be a good father again to both Ephram and Delia. It is refreshing seeing the healing instead of panic. Last season, Andy looked like he was about to unravel due to Madisongate. Thankfully, all the tension, panic, darkness is over and the healing can begin with the real Andy Brown showcased. It was a nice start seeing how sweet he was to Delia after once again, she was in the middle of the war between her father and brother. I also like that in the finale of 3 and 4.1, we did see that Andy and Delia bonded more while Ephram was away. I think it helped them communicate better during this time period. We know later on Delia's teenager ways will get tricky (just like an average teenager) but right now they are setting the foundation for being able to handle the challenges that take place in the future.

The Final Ephram and Amy Interaction: This scene is the very reason why I love this pairing so much. The chemistry is so intense, I cannot fully describe how much it moves me. Do you know how the chemistry of some pairings on the TV screen diminishes as the series moves along because the actors might get bored or the writing starts to weaken? Not Everwood. Not Greg and Emily as Ephram and Amy. Not any of the characters or romantic pairings for that matter on Everwood. S4 is just as strong and brilliant as S1. This was the best scene of the entire episode in my mind, the Ephram and Amy last scene and final moment of the episode. It completed this episode and highlighted the change theme transpiring. As the episode moved along, you were waiting for this real scene between Ephram and Amy, in fact. It happened and was everything you could ask for... Ephram walks in, Amy goes back to her nervous mode, tries to pull back from him again by saying they were closing, to which Ephram immediately responds by asking her what he should be doing... you just feel the love between them so clearly. The tension is so thick... Amy finally opening up and telling Ephram how hard it was for her all summer, and Ephram's instant reply... "Now you're over me?" You could feel the desperation in his voice as he asks her this question. I love how Amy smiles and says that she isn't over him, she is over "it" and cannot keep crying over him. Emily choosing how to say "Ephram" as Amy was pure brilliance. Emily is a master at the little things... naturally and with intense connection to the audience makes Emily so brilliant. And then comes the extreme desperation in Ephram's voice as it probably took everything out of him to ask the burning question to Amy that has probably haunted him all summer long: "Did you meet someone else?" To which Amy replies that she hasn't. The legendary eye contact between them was intense as ever. Honestly, it is like their eyes are magnets, so powerfully connected and attracted to each other. The "we were never friends" comment by Amy was as fitting as can be. She wasn't saying, which I predicted, that they were never friends in the literal sense. Her response was beautiful and it summed things up so nicely...

Quote:
Amy: Because we were never friends. Not really. I mean, do you remember a time when there wasn't something hanging over us? Something I wanted to say but didn't, something you wanted to say but couldn't? I can't do it anymore.
Amy was spot on when she said they were never really friends and she perfectly explained why this was true. They never were. From day one there were sparks between Ephram and Amy in this nonstop, magnetic, spiritual way. It transcended friendship, even romance. Amy found an attraction to Ephram she certainly never felt with anyone else in Everwood, including Colin. She knew this, and it scared her so much. Ephram tells Andy in The Pilot that it was love at first sight with Amy. They were friends if you had to label it but it was always so much more is the point Amy is making and Ephram completely understands what she is saying. They could never try to successfully be just be platonic friends given their history and connection. It was really sad to see Ephram wanting to be with Amy but he knew he messed up. Ephram caused this and it was predictable he would regret it. I am proud of Amy for not giving in and standing her ground. She looks wounded, hesitant, trying to protect her fragile heart but with strength helping her go there somewhat effortlessly. Trusting and taking a chance again is simply not possible at this moment and Amy knows this, Ephram understands now as well. It is not just about Ephram leaving the country which was severe enough. He did not just leave the city or state, he left the country and made it coded as to when or if he would ever return. Pretty severe if you ask me. It is also everything Ephram said to her at the end of S3 about not seeing a forever, even finding it funny, pulling away from her, taking the Madison pregnancy and adoption out on her. She just could not take it anymore and needs to recover. Ephram now realizes the major mistakes he made would not just go away simply because he returned. He hurt her tremendously and it is going to take a while for Amy to ever trust him again. It is sad, but totally makes sense. Amy needs this time. She deserves this time.

Quote:
Amy: You just had to come back, didn't you?
... even if Amy still loves Ephram.

Bright and Hannah: Hannah looked really good in this episode with her hair straightened, she was gorgeous on their date. But it never fails since of course Bright screws things up initially. And of course the waitress would be a girl that Bright dated. And sadly, he didn’t remember her name, however Hannah remembered her name quite well. Hannah just catching on too quickly of Bright’s stupid comment about three dates and out. I felt so bad for Hannah. I hated Hannah worried that their third date would be the last so she’s putting it off long as possible. But the carnival was a perfect setting. The conclusion was very nice, however. Bright's words were perfect and their kiss was adorable.

Andy and Nina: During this rewatch I am not even sure what I feel at this moment. I am not even sure if Andy going to Nina for advice and comfort due to Ephram is even appropriate at this point. Do they even have that type of relationship anymore? I know they have always been friends (and aren't as complicated in history as far as labels compared to Ephram and Amy) but in 4.1 there was so much tension between them. It is obvious they are both in love with each other. But Nina made her choice when telling Andy that she chose Jake so it feels a little weird they can just move on like nothing has happened over the course of several months that clearly changed their relationship. I really feel bothered that Nina made the choice to be with Jake because it does not come close to what she has with Andy. She loves Jake, but not in the way that she loves Andy which is pure, romantic love. It just feels odd that they both act like nothing has changed since, honestly, everything has changed.

Andy and Ephram: Initially I was so happy when Ephram said he felt energetic and seemed to want to talk with Andy and act fairly normal and peaceful again, even giving Andy something delicious to drink from Europe. But that soon changed when Ephram demanded Andy pay for his housing because Andy caused just about everything that was wrong in their relationship (false) and he owed it to him. What? Ephram, just no... maybe you need to go back to Europe for another several months. I was very irritated that once again they were fighting and immaturity was all over the place. While they cannot sweep everything away like nothing has transpired I really didn’t like that scene with Delia witnessing once again a war between her father and brother (while being confused over the Madison mention, just so not cool Delia has to witness any of this) and she was all nervous and sad over watching her father and brother fighting. I honestly understand why there was speculation that if the series received S5, the show was swiftly transitioning from father and son to father and daughter. I mean, how much more drama and fighting could father and son endure realistically? I feel like it's overkill early S4! At this point it feels excessive and borderline irritating we are constantly seeing Andy and Ephram at war with each other. I get that Ephram is still pissed about Madison but what annoys me is Ephram still sees Andy as NYC Andy. Andy is not the same person. Andy messed up the Madison situation, but I will always maintain his heart was in the right place. In addition, Andy was attempting to clean up a mess he begged Ephram and Madison never to go near. The entire history is revealing and it bothers me Ephram still, after all of this time, does not see the light while analyzing the history. Did he not have time to think about everything while in Europe? Instead, he still throws immature fits and does not understand he really should be apologizing for going against Andy's wishes and dating an adult woman employed by his father in the first place. Watching it play out in this rewatch you really see the dysfunction and even borderline toxic environment poor Delia is in. She just wants peace. She looked so sad eating at the table alone. I guess the only light at the end of the tunnel is it seems as if finally Andy and Ephram found a way to come to a decision together. It sent a direct message that they have finally reached a peaceful resolution and can enter a true healing stage.

Amy and Hannah: Hannah naturally freaking out about Bright to Amy was great to see. This is how best friends function, it does not matter what time it is, when one is in trouble, you are there for each other. I also love how Amy basically asked Hannah if she got the memo that Bright is an idiot. The teapot banter was pure gold. Hannah asked Amy about Ephram which was a distinct pattern for these two. Hannah is consistently worried about Ephram and Amy no matter the state of their relationship and I think it is really nice. Amy gave Hannah perfect advice on the Bright situation too. Amy might still think her brother is an idiot but she senses Bright's feelings for Hannah are real and tells Hannah as much.

Emily VanCamp: I love that Emily was allowed to play both drama and comedy once again to flawless perfection. She had some really serious moments as Amy with Ephram but was also able to showcase her comedic side in the scene with Amy and Hannah. S4 really showcases all the layers of Emily VanCamp and her unstoppable unique talent. Her comedic timing is flawless and her dramatic talent is off the charts magnificent.

ADDED EXTRAS

- Of course Harold’s time-consuming, carefully constructed domino set falls in one swoop with Andy shutting the door. Harold and Andy do not even get to grab lunch together. Louise is a true Sage when it comes to understanding Harold. She knows Harold's quirks and can read his mind like a psychic medium. It is awesome to see. Louise had great non-verbal communication in this one. LOL.

- Andy telling Ephram faking being Canadian in Europe is the best option is sadly true.

- Edna and Nina were ripping France in 4.1 and now Ephram is ripping apart France in 4.2. I guess the question is which writer had bad experiences in France? Granted, some of the French stereotypes might be true ( ) but it just seems interesting there is consistency with the France sarcastic comments from several characters. LOL.

- Delia was so excited Ephram was home and you felt it throughout the entire episode. I felt so happy for her.

- Ephram even acknowledges that they have kept so much from Delia: pregnancy, Julia’s cheating. You have to wonder if Delia ever found out about these secrets.

- I thought it was very important seeing Ephram give Andy a gift from Europe. Ephram might not always see the big picture but he loves his father.

- Bright called Reid fussy. LOL.

- Bright eating cereal out of a measuring cup was absolutely hilarious.

- When was the last time Delia was a central figure in an episode? S1? Refreshing. I also liked that it was revealed she's in sixth grade.

- During the one Bright and Hannah scene, I love how they were having a dramatic conversation yet Bright still accepted the sandwich and walked out with the sandwich.

- Ephram and Amy have the Ferris Wheel, Bright and Hannah have the Sandwich.

- Rose wasn’t in this one and it feels slightly strange we did not get any Harold and Rose scenes in 4.1 or 4.2 given her cancer diagnosis and Amy clearly telling Ephram she is not completely in the clear yet.

- You really see the different places both Ephram and Amy are in when it comes to maturity. Ephram was complaining about having to get a job, needing money, acting like having to do grown up things his father was forcing him to do was irritating, while Amy has a job voluntarily as a waitress in order to not keep taking money from her parents when she could be working and being responsible on her own. What an awkward scene Ephram must have felt embarrassed as a result. Amy Abbott, you are so grounded, selfless, responsible, intelligent, and mature.

FINAL THOUGHTS

I really liked this episode as a whole. The Ephram and Amy, Ephram and Delia interaction is what mostly carried the episode for me. The episode brought you back to S1 in such a wonderful way. The outstanding integration of drama and comedy was appropriately inserted in a perfect formula. The Ephram and Amy chemistry, the Harold and Andy banter, the Ephram and Delia interaction, the Andy and Ephram tension but at least, progress, was all there.

Many viewers believe S1 and S4 not only share the same off the charts quality, but they just feel the same, almost like connecting the dots and summing up the series, bringing it back to the beginning in order to have a satisfying conclusion. I completely agree. I really love this connection and energetic feel like Everwood will always be Everwood and it was destined to go out on top.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-11-2022 at 02:13 PM
Old 09-11-2022, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Wonderful commentary Michelle. I'm going to watch this episode this afternoon and post my own commentary, but I won't be able to approach your brilliance here!

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 11:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D (View Post)
Wonderful commentary Michelle. I'm going to watch this episode this afternoon and post my own commentary, but I won't be able to approach your brilliance here!
I don’t even try to approach the brilliance!Lol

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 09-11-2022 at 01:18 PM
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 12:44 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

^^^ Thanks you guys! You both hold your own and more so looking forward to your thoughts!
Old 09-11-2022, 03:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

And here are my thoughts in a completely different writing style....

The episode starts at the end of the wedding when everyone is leaving. I wish we were able to know and see what happened after Ephram arrived at the wedding. Did he sit with his family? Did he dance? What were Bright and Hannah´s reactions to seeing him? How did Amy deal with his appearance....was she able to enjoy the rest of the wedding?

It´s very obvious how Delia feels about Ephramś return and at this moment it appears that there is no animosity between Ephram and Andy. His exchange with Amy was understandably awkward and it appears that Ephram knows what has been happening with Rose from corresponding with Bright. How does Ephram expect Amy to react to this small talk? He left her in a tragic time of need and should not expect to be greeted by her with open arms. You need to take responsibility for your actions, Ephram.

The expression on Andy´s face when Ephram gave him the bottle of Grappa...a little heartbreaking. Andy just wants any sign of affection from Ephram....anything at all.

Okay, Jake, you are kind of reminding me of Harold with your rambling. Just cut the darn ribbon!!

It was a vow renewal for Edna and Irv. Thought so!

I love the way that Ephram wants to get his own apartment and just talk to his dad about the money situation. Spoiled brat! Ephram! If you don´t have your own money then you have no business getting your own apartment. Ephram expects Andy to pay for both tuition and an apartment? Ridiculous.
Poor Delia.

Uh Oh...3 dates and out. THis is not what Hannah needs to hear.

Why is Hannah asking Amy how it was when she saw Ephram? Wasn´t Hannah there?

Harold is such a Yenta....needs to know everything that is going on with Andy...whatś in his packages....what he is doing from 10 to 3.
Harold, be nice to Louise! She is a gem and a saint to put up with you!

Ephram, getting a job is a sign of maturity, you entitled snob!

Reid is fussy. He must be gay.

Ephram, get over it! When are you going to stop blaming Andy for your stupid decisions?
Poor Delia.
How do you want Andy to change? Do you want him to grovel for forgiveness? Do you want him to give you all the money you need for whatever it is that you want to do? Someone needs to slap you upside your head to knock some sense into you, Ephram.

¨Ïḿ a sister....I´m a daughter. I have a lot of responsibilies here,¨ Delia is as wise as usual and she is always the last one to know stuff.

Good for you, Andy, going back to performing surgeries. It would be such a waste to not use your tremendous talent. Even Harold approves.

Bright, you are falling farther down a hole with that explanation to Hannah. Just making it worse.

Harold loves you, Andy. The thought that you would be leaving is just devasting for him.

The dominoes.....NO!!!!!!!

Why is it that Andy is the person who always has to come to an understanding and Ephram does not? Andy has to pay Ephram to have dinner with his family? Absurd.

Hannah looks adorable with her hair and that cute top. Awe...Bright never wanted a fourth date until now.
I noticed for the first time that Blake Neely has supplied Hannah and Bright with a beautiful theme song similar to Amy and Ephram´s.

There you go....like father like son! Ephram walks into Sam´s after closing to talk to Amy as she wipes down the tables. You expect too much for Amy, Ephram. How can you be surprised that she is over you? or at least over it. Did you believe that Amy would just keep her feelings on hold until you came back? Friends? Not possible at this point after what you guys were and what you did. You blew a beautiful thing, Ephram, because you were so darm self-centered. You have lost the best thing that has ever happened to you.

You did one good thing this episode, Ephram, returning that check!

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 09-11-2022 at 03:15 PM
Old 09-11-2022, 04:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)

- Nina dealing with an evolving new restaurant.
- Nina and Andy adjusting to finding meaning in their new dynamic after romantic feelings had been revealed.
- Bright and Hannah are transitioning from friends to dating.
- Ephram and Amy are in a confusing state as Ephram wants to recapture what they once had but Amy is too hurt to consider going there again at this time.
- Harold is scared Andy is going to move on and primarily go back to surgery.
- Jake is dealing with how to include rules in the house and be the mature parental/fatherly figure.
- Delia and Ephram are trying to bond again as siblings.
- Ephram and Bright are starting a new chapter together as best friends living together.
Wow...when watching I didn´t realize how many things were happening! It´s like an entire season in one episode!

Quote:
Edna and Ephram: I loved the opening scene as they walked and talked and the banter flowed with Edna instantly asking Ephram if he talked to Amy.
I had never realized that these two had a relationship. Never saw it in previous seasons.

Quote:
Ephram and Amy: I appreciated the awkwardness between them in the first scene. There was tension in every scene but this first scene really set the stage. As Harold greets Ephram, the expression on Amy's face says it all. Amy was overcome by emotion, nervously staring off into the distance. Harold smartly finds an excuse to leave the scene so Ephram and Amy can communicate.
It is understandably awkward for Amy. What is she supposed to say? ¨Ï´m so happy youŕe back so let´s just pick up where we left off?¨ No, but Iḿ sure this is what Ephram was hoping Amy would say.
Quote:
I thought it was interesting the writers made Ephram and Amy a priority using both Edna and Harold to jumpstart and nurse them along. Edna and Harold instinctively understood it was important for Ephram and Amy to communicate immediately. Also, when you have the father and grandmother of the girl involved with the boy she had fallen in love with completely you know it is the real deal.
Edna was much more gracious. I am sure that Harold pretty much hates Ephram´s guts at this point...he hurt his daughter so much.
Quote:
If you even slightly watched the end of S3 it was obvious Amy was pulling back from Ephram because she was way too hurt and confused. Add in her mother’s cancer diagnosis and Amy needed to protect herself. So Amy rightfully needed to pull back from Ephram and protect her heart is really the best way to describe what she has been determined to do.
Who can blame her?

Quote:
Bright's wish came true in this episode since Ephram said he would move in with Bright (and Reid). Perfect. It also was a clever way to get Ephram and Amy around each other in a natural way again which we see soon. Good job, writers.
THat was Brightś wish. Now let the Ephram/Reid drama begin!

[
Quote:
Ephram and Delia: How I love the quick recovery of this brother and sister pairing. Ephram pulls Delia out of school as it is so clear how much they missed each other. The cherry on top was Delia calling out Amy's name. Thank you, Delia, for calling out Amy’s name as she is having lunch with Ephram, creating more Ephram and Amy tension. LOL. You feel Amy internally emotional as Ephram attempts to start a conversation with her, using his classic joking and witty personality but again, Amy pulls back, walks away, as Ephram's eyes instantly follow her.
Delia is innocent and loves everyone! Ephram, your humor is not going to help you here.

Quote:
It is such a constant pattern going on for Ephram right now… watching Amy walk away (happens throughout the entire episode), looking at her the entire time.
Are you getting the hint, Ephram?

[
Quote:
B]Nina/Jake Restaurant:[/B] I have to say Nina's speech about Mama Joy being dead and accepting change... maybe Nina needs to take her own advice. She is staying in a safe but not true love relationship because she is afraid to reach for the stars with Andy. The grand opening of Sam’s was so drawn out and ridiculously boring. While the restaurant is a step above what once existed, did Nina and Jake (especially Nina who grew up in Everwood) forget that they are still in Everwood and not Los Angeles? The Townies love their basic food and drink. Why would they take away the basic food and drink from these people? They easily could have had a special section on the menu for the "fancier" food and drink that might eventually win over the Townies as they explore the entire menu over time. Over time, change is good but if you can help abruptly avoiding drastic change, all the better. Why would you erase all the basic food and drink these people enjoy? Even the stools Andy missed who hasn't even been in Everwood that long. The Townies could not even handle Harold's new bagel shop at the end of S2, so what made Nina think they would be able to handle such a "showy" restaurant without their regular food and drink still around? I found it quite bizarre and Jake leading the charge trying to explain this initially followed by Nina's ranting was overkill. I typically find the quirky mostly conservative characters in Everwood at fault for their weird takes but this episode I was pro-Townies and found Nina and Jake the "villains" of the storyline.
I feel that this restaurant drama was a filler for the episode. After all...there was no medical situation going on.

Quote:
The Final Ephram and Amy Interaction: This scene is the very reason why I love this pairing so much. The chemistry is so intense, I cannot fully describe how much it moves me. Do you know how the chemistry of some pairings on the TV screen diminishes as the series moves along because the actors might get bored or the writing starts to weaken? Not Everwood. Not Greg and Emily as Ephram and Amy.
The chemistry is as strong as ever, but at this point too much has happened and itś just not enough.

Quote:
Bright and Hannah: Hannah looked really good in this episode with her hair straightened, she was gorgeous on their date. But it never fails since of course Bright screws things up initially. And of course the waitress would be a girl that Bright dated. And sadly, he didn’t remember her name, however Hannah remembered her name quite well. Hannah just catching on too quickly of Bright’s stupid comment about three dates and out. I felt so bad for Hannah. I hated Hannah worried that their third date would be the last so she’s putting it off long as possible. But the carnival was a perfect setting. The conclusion was very nice, however. Bright's words were perfect and their kiss was adorable.
Even though they are mismatched...they are an adorable couple.

Quote:
Andy and Ephram: Initially I was so happy when Ephram said he felt energetic and seemed to want to talk with Andy and act fairly normal and peaceful again, even giving Andy something delicious to drink from Europe. But that soon changed when Ephram demanded Andy pay for his housing because Andy caused just about everything that was wrong in their relationship (false) and he owed it to him. What? Ephram, just no... maybe you need to go back to Europe for another several months. I was very irritated that once again they were fighting and immaturity was all over the place.
I felt the exact same way! I had such high hopes the beginning of the episode for these two, but Ephram is just as touchy and immature as ever and overreacts to everything Andy says and is so entitled.

-
Quote:
- Andy telling Ephram faking being Canadian in Europe is the best option is sadly true.
Itś also so ironic considering the fact that Greg is Canadian.

-
Quote:
Edna and Nina were ripping France in 4.1 and now Ephram is ripping apart France in 4.2. I guess the question is which writer had bad experiences in France? Granted, some of the French stereotypes might be true ( ) but it just seems interesting there is consistency with the France sarcastic comments from several characters. LOL.
Thatś because no one likes the French.

Quote:
- Delia was so excited Ephram was home and you felt it throughout the entire episode. I felt so happy for her.
Poor girl...she just wanted her complete family.

-
Quote:
Bright called Reid fussy. LOL.
Yup! Gay!
Quote:
- Bright eating cereal out of a measuring cup was absolutely hilarious.
Cereal plays a large part in this apartment this season!
Quote:
- When was the last time Delia was a central figure in an episode? S1? Refreshing. I also liked that it was revealed she's in sixth grade.
And sheś turning into a beautiful young lady.

Quote:
- During the one Bright and Hannah scene, I love how they were having a dramatic conversation yet Bright still accepted the sandwich and walked out with the sandwich.
Hannah apparently makes excellent sandwiches!
Quote:
- Ephram and Amy have the Ferris Wheel, Bright and Hannah have the Sandwich.

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 09-11-2022 at 05:23 PM
Old 09-11-2022, 04:53 PM
Administrator

I thought that this was an incredibly moving episode as the main characters pondered what next steps they should take in their lives, as Ephram’s return had a direct effect on the people who were closest to him, especially the two people he had hurt the most by his rash and immature actions: His father and the love of his life.

I liked the opening scene where Ephram was talking to Edna and Harold, and quite frankly I was surprised that Harold greeted him so warmly in light of how much he had hurt his daughter, but then Amy came along and their conversation was very brief and uncomfortable.

I thought it was so sweet back at the Brown house when Delia affectionately hit Ephram in the head and she said “I’m glad that you’re back,” showing how much she had missed her brother and how happy she was to see him.

I liked Ephram and Andy’s initial conversation as Ephram talked about his trip to Europe and he gave Andy a present, but there was still a great deal of distance between them, and the still festering resentments between them would come to a head in this episode.

I thought that Jake’s speech announcing the opening of Sam’s was pompous and silly, and he wouldn’t let Nina get a word in edgewise, setting the pattern for the rest of the season whenever they interacted.

Bright and Ephram’s conversation was amusing but telling as Ephram admitted that he was back because he had run out of money. I liked when Bright mentioned Reid being “gay” and Ephram pointedly said “Do you have a problem with gay people?” and Bright responded “no,” because I was glad that Ephram called him on saying that. Still though, Bright then said “Except for I feel like I have to vacuum, watch the Bravo Channel,” which was presented in a humorous vein, but I thought it was a rather homophobic thing for Bright to say, which was reinforced later when he called Reid “fussy,” further reinforcing old stereotypes about gay people, which is especially wrong because the show’s creator and many of the people involved with the show were gay.

Bright then told Ephram about his plans for his date with Hannah and how he wanted everything to be perfect, which really surprised Ephram and showed how much Bright had grown as a person while Ephram was away.

It was funny when an ever-solicitous Harold opened up a box of cookies that a patient of Andy’s had sent to him, and Andy asked him if he stalked all his patients, and Harold responded “Just the bakers, Doctor, just the bakers.” I was so happy to see the now affectionate banter between these two former rivals who had become best friends.

We saw Bright and Hannah happy on their date at the restaurant, but everything went south when it turned out that their waitress was someone who he had dated and dumped, and he didn’t even remember her name, and he spoke disparagingly about her to Hannah, and he told her about his “three dates and gone” rule, which concerned Hannah, as they were coming up on their third date.

We saw Ephram tell Andy that he wanted to take some classes but their conversation soon deteriorated as Ephram wanted Andy to pay for an apartment for him to stay in and Andy refused, and they argued right in front of poor Delia at the dinner table and they both stormed off.

It was funny seeing Hannah obsessively ask Amy about Bright’s “3 and out” rule and she asked Amy why she didn’t tell her about it, and Amy hilariously said “Did you really need for me to tell you that my brother is an idiot?” and she assured Hannah that she was ten times better than anyone else that Bright had dated and that Bright had changed.

We saw Harold providing the comic relief in this episode as he obsessively wondered what Andy was doing from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM every day, and he hilariously connected the cookies he had received to some romantic rendezvous with the woman in Denver who had sent those cookies.

I liked seeing Ephram and Delia talk at Sam’s and it was so touching that Delia really wanted Ephram to come home and for them to be a family again, but Ephram, stubborn as ever (just like his father) was resistant to the idea, but then they both saw Amy working at the restaurant. Ephram tried to make some light-hearted conversation with Amy, but she coldly dismissed him, saying that she was busy, and the ever-perceptive Delia said “Aren’t you guys’ friends anymore?” and Ephram nervously replied that Amy and him were still friends.

We saw Bright call Hannah about their upcoming date, but Hannah, thinking that this date would be their last date, cancelled their date with a really bumbling and lame excuse, which Bright saw through right away.

We saw Andy confide in Nina about Ephram, but then Nina let it slip that Ephram had brough Delia to Sam’s, which infuriated Andy and set him off again, and he stormed off to confront Ephram, leaving Nina haplessly saying “Anytime. Damn.”

We saw Andy confront Ephram about taking Delia out of school, and as always, father and son exchanged harsh and hurtful words in front of Delia, which was so wrong, and Andy was especially wrong to bring up Madison in front of Delia. Both Andy and Ephram can be incredibly selfish and stubborn and they both would hit below the belt whenever they argued, and they both were at their worst here, and Andy unfairly grounded Delia when she tried to defend Ephram. I think that Ephram was right that Andy was using threats to make them feel like a family, and I hated seeing that Madisongate really had destroyed all the progress that Andy and Ephram had made as father and son.

It was funny seeing Bright slam the refrigerator door to wake Ephram up, and he generously offered to let Ephram stay in the loft part of his apartment, and then he expressed his fears that he was losing Hannah, and that she was doing things that Ephram said that he (Bright) would do, and it scared him.

I was glad that Andy apologized to Delia and that he shouldn’t have gotten Delia mixed up in what was going on between him and Ephram and Delia said that she was mixed up in it and that she was a sister and a daughter and she had a lot of responsibilities in what was going on. Kindhearted as ever, she also said that she felt sad for Ephram because he didn’t have a lot of friends right now and it was the first time that he ever wanted to hang out with her, and she hilariously said that when he went to her school “everyone practically died,” and “two of the popular girls thought he was hot.” She then said if Ephram wasn’t going to come over for dinner anymore maybe she could have breakfast with him, and once again, I was so touched by the love that Delia has for her family, and she basically forced Andy to think about what he was doing.

Back at Sam’s, we saw a very frustrated Nina stand up and make a speech telling everyone that Mama Joy’s was dead and that they all needed to embrace change and give the healthier fare of her new restaurant a chance, but the “wonderful” citizens of Everwood didn’t seem to listen as they sat there mutely. Another thing I caught was that all that “healthy food” emphasis seemed to come from Jake as there are plenty of places like Sam’s in California, and I think that Nina should have been given more of an input into what they were going to offer in the restaurant that she was running, especially since she knew that most of the stick-in-the-muds in Everwood were resistant to any type of change.

It was hilarious when Harold accused Andy of having a second family in Denver, but then he seemed hurt when Andy revealed that he had been doing surgeries in Colorado A & M, and he had to perform five spinal and brain surgeries under a local surgeon’s supervision to prove that he was up to speed on the procedures.

We saw Bright go to see Hannah and Jake answered the door and they had an awkward exchange about Jake being “that guy,” and he seemed surprised that Hannah and Bright were dating, and we got the impression that Hannah didn’t care for Jake. Bright then asked Hannah what was going on, and she evasively offered him a sandwich, and then she mentioned his “three dates and out” rule and that their third date was coming up, and their argument was comical and silly and it was hilarious when Bright then walked out with the sandwich! Side note: Teresa heard that part and said “So there are silly parts like that in this show?”

We saw Harold give Andy the cold shoulder but Andy told Harold that he missed performing surgery because it was the only thing that he was good at, and that he had watched Ephram throw his gift away and run from everything, and it was hard not to wonder if maybe he had been doing the same thing, and that he was scared of falling back into the same bad habits, and that he had to find the balance somehow, or otherwise, he would never know if he had changed or if he had just been hiding. We then saw Andy have a revelation and he abruptly left and he slammed the door, which ruined the elaborate dominos game that Harold had set up, much to Harold’s chagrin.

We then saw Andy talk to Ephram and he accepted that Ephram was going to live with Bright and he offered Ephram a compromise where he would pay $50.00 to Ephram every time he had dinner with him and Delia, and he told Ephram not to tell Delia, and Ephram wryly said that “We’re gonna need a book to keep track of all the stuff we're keeping from that girl.”

I liked that Bright and Hannah were honest with each other at the carnival and Hannah told Bright that he needed to apply a censor now that they were dating and not tell her everything that was on his mind, and he told her that he never wanted a fourth date with anyone until now, and he kissed her.

The final scene between Ephram and Amy was so heartbreaking as he asked her what he should do, and she told him how it took her all summer to get over the heartbreak that she had suffered at his hands, and it broke my heart when she said “I can’t keep crying over you, Ephram,” and when he responded that “I don’t want you to,” and he worriedly asked her if she had met someone else, and when she shook her head no, he said “Why can’t we go back to being friends, like always?” and Amy poignantly said “But we were never friends. Not really. I mean, do you remember a time when there wasn’t something hanging over us? Something I wanted to say but didn’t, something you wanted to say but couldn’t? I can’t do it anymore,” and she said that they could still talk, but they couldn’t go back, and Ephram had to pay the price for his callous and heartless treatment of the young woman he loved so much but whose heart he had shattered into a million pieces.

In the final vignette, we saw Bright and Hannah on their date, Andy happy that Ephram had left the check that he had given him, and Ephram in his car forlornly looking in at Amy as she cleaned up at Sam’s and Amy sadly looking out as Ephram pulled away.

Overall, I thought that this was an incredibly touching and poignant episode as the key characters that we’ve all come to love took the next steps in their lives.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I liked the opening scene where Ephram was talking to Edna and Harold, and quite frankly I was surprised that Harold greeted him so warmly in light of how much he had hurt his daughter, but then Amy came along and their conversation was very brief and uncomfortable.
Harold was polite, but I could feel his inner resentment. He asked Ephram questions, but didn really respond to his answers! I would have loved to have learned what the circumstances were when Ephram learned the word: Cornucopia

Quote:
I thought it was so sweet back at the Brown house when Delia affectionately hit Ephram in the head and she said “I’m glad that you’re back,” showing how much she had missed her brother and how happy she was to see him.
How she must have suffered all summer with Ephram gone.

Quote:
I liked Ephram and Andy’s initial conversation as Ephram talked about his trip to Europe and he gave Andy a present, but there was still a great deal of distance between them, and the still festering resentments between them would come to a head in this episode.
Such a disappointing turn of events!

Quote:
I thought that Jake’s speech announcing the opening of Sam’s was pompous and silly, and he wouldn’t let Nina get a word in edgewise, setting the pattern for the rest of the season whenever they interacted.
His speech was so Harold-like!

Quote:
Bright and Ephram’s conversation was amusing but telling as Ephram admitted that he was back because he had run out of money. I liked when Bright mentioned Reid being “gay” and Ephram pointedly said “Do you have a problem with gay people? and Bright responded “no,” because I was glad that Ephram called him on saying that. Still though, Bright then said “Except for I feel like I have to vacuum, watch the Bravo Channel,” which was presented in a humorous vein, but I thought it was a rather homophobic thing for Bright to say, which was reinforced later when he called Reid “fussy,” further reinforcing old stereotypes about gay people, which is especially wrong because the show’s creator and many of the people involved with the show were gay.
Very stereotypical comments.

Quote:
It was funny when an ever-solicitous Harold opened up a box of cookies that a patient of Andy’s had sent to him, and Andy asked him if he stalked all his patients, and Harold responded “Just the bakers, Doctor, just the bakers.” I was so happy to see the now affectionate banter between these two former rivals who had become best friends.
I thought that was exceptionally rude. Harold is lucky that Andy is generally easy going.

Quote:
We saw Ephram tell Andy that he wanted to take some classes but their conversation soon deteriorated as Ephram wanted Andy to pay for an apartment for him to stay in and Andy refused, and they argued right in front of poor Delia at the dinner table and they both stormed off.
Delia had to experience so many arguments this episode. Poor girl.

Quote:
We saw Andy confide in Nina about Ephram, but then Nina let it slip that Ephram had brough Delia to Sam’s, which infuriated Andy and set him off again, and he stormed off to confront Ephram, leaving Nina haplessly saying “Anytime. Damn.”
Poor Nina often gets in trouble with Andy!

Quote:
It was funny seeing Bright slam the refrigerator door to wake Ephram up, and he generously offered to let Ephram stay in the loft part of his apartment, and then he expressed his fears that he was losing Hannah, and that she was doing things that Ephram said that he (Bright) would do, and it scared him.
Not nice when it´s done to you...is it, Bright? lol

Quote:
We then saw Andy talk to Ephram and he accepted that Ephram was going to live with Bright and he offered Ephram a compromise where he would pay $50.00 to Ephram every time he had dinner with him and Delia, and he told Ephram not to tell Delia, and Ephram wryly said that “We’re gonna need a book to keep track of all the stuff we're keeping from that girl.”
Offering to pay Ephram to come to dinner was so sad. And....they really need to tell Delia whatś going on! She is mature and wise enough to handle it. If she has to put up with the fall out from all the drama she needs to know what has caused the drama.

Quote:
The final scene between Ephram and Amy was so heartbreaking as he asked her what he should do, and she told him how it took her all summer to get over the heartbreak that she had suffered at his hands, and it broke my heart when she said “I can’t keep crying over you, Ephram,” and when he responded that “I don’t want you to,” and he worriedly asked her if she had met someone else, and when she shook her head no, he said “Why can’t we go back to being friends, like always, and Amy poignantly said “But we were never friends. Not really. I mean, do you remember a time when there wasn’t something hanging over us? Something I wanted to say but didn’t, something you wanted to say but couldn’t? I can’t do it anymore,” and she said that they could still talk, but they couldn’t go back, and Ephram had to pay the price for his callous and heartless treatment of the young woman he loved so much but whose heart he had shattered into a million pieces.
Ephram needs to accept the fact that he blew it and needs to accept the consequences.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Excellent thoughts, you two!

I’ve been into the NFL all day and night so will concentrate and respond soon after the last game!
Old 09-12-2022, 01:23 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
And here are my thoughts in a completely different writing style....
Which I love!

Quote:
The episode starts at the end of the wedding when everyone is leaving. I wish we were able to know and see what happened after Ephram arrived at the wedding. Did he sit with his family? Did he dance? What were Bright and Hannah´s reactions to seeing him? How did Amy deal with his appearance....was she able to enjoy the rest of the wedding?
That’s such a good point. I wonder if the scenes were cut or we just weren’t meant to see it and imagine instead. I never thought of this before. We missed those moments!

Quote:
It´s very obvious how Delia feels about Ephramś return and at this moment it appears that there is no animosity between Ephram and Andy. His exchange with Amy was understandably awkward and it appears that Ephram knows what has been happening with Rose from corresponding with Bright. How does Ephram expect Amy to react to this small talk? He left her in a tragic time of need and should not expect to be greeted by her with open arms. You need to take responsibility for your actions, Ephram.
That’s so true. I really do wonder what Ephram expected from Amy. Did he think they’d go into friends mode easy? Was he maybe thinking Amy was acting distant before he left for Europe mainly because she was stressed over Rose? Did he remember how devastated she was when they broke up and she gave him the necklace back at his house? I’d love to know what Ephram thought was mostly likely to transpire between them. We know what he ultimately wanted based on the postcards reveal, what he says to Andy later and how he asked Amy if she met anyone else. But I’m wondering what he thought Amy would want right away when they first saw each other.

Quote:
The expression on Andy´s face when Ephram gave him the bottle of Grappa...a little heartbreaking. Andy just wants any sign of affection from Ephram....anything at all.
You’re so right, that is exactly what Andy so desperately wanted to take place.

Quote:
Okay, Jake, you are kind of reminding me of Harold with your rambling. Just cut the darn ribbon!!
Felt the same way. I’m shocked the Townies didn’t start yelling at him.

Quote:
It was a vow renewal for Edna and Irv. Thought so!
Yes! I completely forgot.

Quote:
I love the way that Ephram wants to get his own apartment and just talk to his dad about the money situation. Spoiled brat! Ephram! If you don´t have your own money then you have no business getting your own apartment. Ephram expects Andy to pay for both tuition and an apartment? Ridiculous.
Poor Delia.
I hated how Ephram told Andy he owed it to him. Not acceptable. Even if you wanted this you should have phrased it in a way that was not insulting your father making it seem like you should get whatever you desired because Andy should feel guilty and ashamed for trying to protect you, right or wrong.

Delia looked so upset.

Quote:
Uh Oh...3 dates and out. THis is not what Hannah needs to hear.
Bright can be stupid but this was really ridiculous and seemed like he should have figured it out sooner as far as why Hannah was delaying the third date.

Quote:
Why is Hannah asking Amy how it was when she saw Ephram? Wasn´t Hannah there?
Good question… maybe she was asking about their talk after Edna and Harold kind of set up their communication. Maybe Amy told her they talked but she’d tell her later how it went.

Quote:
Harold is such a Yenta....needs to know everything that is going on with Andy...whatś in his packages....what he is doing from 10 to 3.
Harold, be nice to Louise! She is a gem and a saint to put up with you!
LOL.

Quote:
Ephram, getting a job is a sign of maturity, you entitled snob!
Right! I was shocked he seemed so turned off by growing up and maturing. What did he expect, especially when he wasn’t immediately going to be a full-time student.

Quote:
Reid is fussy. He must be gay.

Quote:
Ephram, get over it! When are you going to stop blaming Andy for your stupid decisions?
Poor Delia.
How do you want Andy to change? Do you want him to grovel for forgiveness? Do you want him to give you all the money you need for whatever it is that you want to do? Someone needs to slap you upside your head to knock some sense into you, Ephram.
AMEN.

Quote:
¨Ïḿ a sister....I´m a daughter. I have a lot of responsibilies here,¨ Delia is as wise as usual and she is always the last one to know stuff.
Yes, yes, and more yes.

I really dislike this. Delia had to adjust so much after losing her mom, then moving to Everwood. Her father and brother should have been going out of their way to protect her mental health.

Quote:
Good for you, Andy, going back to performing surgeries. It would be such a waste to not use your tremendous talent. Even Harold approves.
Exactly! This never did sit right with me during the first half of the series. It made sense he got back into surgery. Being a surgeon versus a family doctor is night and day. Both are important of course but Andy was a neurological surgeon so you need special skill, not many can go there. He has the gift and not going there isn’t right due to all the patients that need his help.

Quote:
Bright, you are falling farther down a hole with that explanation to Hannah. Just making it worse.
Seriously, I cringed. Poor Hannah. Hannah should have picked up Delia who was just as miserable so they could grab some ice cream.

Quote:
Harold loves you, Andy. The thought that you would be leaving is just devasting for him.

Quote:
The dominoes.....NO!!!!!!!
Took forever to set up.

Quote:
Why is it that Andy is the person who always has to come to an understanding and Ephram does not? Andy has to pay Ephram to have dinner with his family? Absurd.
I felt embarrassed for Ephram as Andy was writing him a check.

Quote:
Hannah looks adorable with her hair and that cute top. Awe...Bright never wanted a fourth date until now.
She looked great there!

Quote:
I noticed for the first time that Blake Neely has supplied Hannah and Bright with a beautiful theme song similar to Amy and Ephram´s.
Everwood is all about making the little things very important.

Quote:
There you go....like father like son! Ephram walks into Sam´s after closing to talk to Amy as she wipes down the tables. You expect too much for Amy, Ephram. How can you be surprised that she is over you? or at least over it. Did you believe that Amy would just keep her feelings on hold until you came back? Friends? Not possible at this point after what you guys were and what you did. You blew a beautiful thing, Ephram, because you were so darm self-centered. You have lost the best thing that has ever happened to you.
It is really sad.

Quote:
You did one good thing this episode, Ephram, returning that check!
It was a beautiful moment.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-12-2022 at 01:40 AM
Old 09-12-2022, 06:40 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Wow...when watching I didn´t realize how many things were happening! It´s like an entire season in one episode!
That is very true. LOL. A lot was happening. I never noticed it during other watches either.

Quote:
I had never realized that these two had a relationship. Never saw it in previous seasons.
It was a surprise because not only did they have a scene alone, but it started out the episode. It was bizarre but cool at the same time.

Quote:
It is understandably awkward for Amy. What is she supposed to say? ¨Ï´m so happy youŕe back so let´s just pick up where we left off?¨ No, but Iḿ sure this is what Ephram was hoping Amy would say.
I am wondering this as well.

Quote:
Edna was much more gracious. I am sure that Harold pretty much hates Ephram´s guts at this point...he hurt his daughter so much.
Another surprise. Harold was kind to him right when Ephram got back from NYC and he spent the night. Maybe he's been too consumed by Rose's cancer to notice he hurt his daughter so much, especially since Amy was really good at the end of S3, beginning of S4 hiding how hurt she has been? It is very interesting Harold wasn't outwardly pissed. Maybe internally he wishes Ephram would meet a truck going at full speed or something.

Quote:
Who can blame her?
Right!

Quote:
THat was Brightś wish. Now let the Ephram/Reid drama begin!
That is right!

Quote:
Delia is innocent and loves everyone! Ephram, your humor is not going to help you here.
Exactly.

Quote:
Are you getting the hint, Ephram?
He's just as clueless as Bright.

Quote:
I feel that this restaurant drama was a filler for the episode. After all...there was no medical situation going on.
Excellent point. This was the "medical case" of the episode.

Quote:
The chemistry is as strong as ever, but at this point too much has happened and itś just not enough.
Truth.

Quote:
Even though they are mismatched...they are an adorable couple.
This is honestly how I feel, too. Even if Bright and Hannah do not reunite (we have no idea even after the series finale credits roll) the way I am looking at their relationship right now is it is a learning experience for the both of them. Hannah gets a boyfriend she feels "sweaty" over and Bright gets a girlfriend who is teaching him that respect is a must and if you cheat on her you will pay the price!

Quote:
I felt the exact same way! I had such high hopes the beginning of the episode for these two, but Ephram is just as touchy and immature as ever and overreacts to everything Andy says and is so entitled.
Right! In theory, Ephram is correct. The best way to deal with their situation that isn't fully healed is by taking more space away from each other. But the way he introduces things to Andy is the ultimate worst... I want this and you will agree because you suck as a father. I mean, hello, that was never going to work, Ephram.

Quote:
Itś also so ironic considering the fact that Greg is Canadian.
So true.

Quote:
Thatś because no one likes the French.
I had direct experience with a French friend for a long time as you know... so I understand completely.

Quote:
Poor girl...she just wanted her complete family.

Quote:
Yup! Gay!

Quote:
Cereal plays a large part in this apartment this season!
Great point! LOL.

I remember living away at college first year and four big foods were on my menu practically daily:

1. Cereal (sometimes dry)
2. Ramen Noodles
3. Pizza
4. Cheeseburgers

Quote:
And sheś turning into a beautiful young lady.
Yes.

Quote:
Hannah apparently makes excellent sandwiches!

Remember when they first started talking as friends and Bright tried to steal away the sandwich she was making?

Quote:

Last edited by jediwands; 09-12-2022 at 06:47 AM
Old 09-12-2022, 07:11 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I thought that this was an incredibly moving episode as the main characters pondered what next steps they should take in their lives, as Ephram’s return had a direct effect on the people who were closest to him, especially the two people he had hurt the most by his rash and immature actions: His father and the love of his life.
Excellent point. I love the theme alone that Ephram affected so many lives... his father, the love of his life, his sister, and even Bright who was hanging on and not wanting to be totally settled into his new apartment unless Ephram joined him (along with Reid). On some level, all four were affected by Ephram's choices at the end of S3.

Quote:
The Ephram/Edna scene was a sweet surprise. The only thing I can think of with Harold is Amy has been so grounded, mature, and strong throughout Harold hasn't noticed just how much Ephram hurt Amy. He probably doesn't know just how poorly Ephram treated Amy. He might think he just broke up with her saying he needed space without specifics. He might not know anything about that horribly cruel infinity necklace return scene or taking things out on her in the manner that he did. Or maybe he does know but Rose's cancer distracted him. Still, it was weird. If Harold understood the situation you would think he would have warned Ephram not to hurt Amy anymore or at least given him a stare that meant you do not mess with her again.

Quote:
... the little things.

Quote:
The tension was still there and I almost wished Ephram told Andy he was tired when Andy suggested they sort of part ways because he probably needed it. Treat and Greg played it in a way where Andy and Ephram were calm but there was still some small bubbles swirling around ready to explode as time went on... which we see does eventually take place.

Quote:
God, that is so true. Nice point. There is a stupid pattern we see the rest of the season until the very end. You have to wonder if Nina was so passive with Jake because she felt she had to be due to Jake saving the restaurant space and she was directly connected to this. I never thought about it before but Jake's power not only in Everwood but within the relationship grows significantly the second Jake buys the space. Granted, Nina allows him to move in so she had some power as well. But overall, you do see Jake's power grow and of course it was a recipe for disaster since Nina is with the wrong man and Jake is lying about addiction.

Quote:
Bright and Ephram’s conversation was amusing but telling as Ephram admitted that he was back because he had run out of money. I liked when Bright mentioned Reid being “gay” and Ephram pointedly said “Do you have a problem with gay people?” and Bright responded “no,” because I was glad that Ephram called him on saying that. Still though, Bright then said “Except for I feel like I have to vacuum, watch the Bravo Channel,” which was presented in a humorous vein, but I thought it was a rather homophobic thing for Bright to say, which was reinforced later when he called Reid “fussy,” further reinforcing old stereotypes about gay people, which is especially wrong because the show’s creator and many of the people involved with the show were gay.
I never knew that about gay men supposedly being fussy. Weird. Even more weird that so many writers and showrunners of the series are gay. The same thing happened on Dawson's Creek too where the gay jokes were ten times worse. Stupid.

Either way, I love when Ephram asked Bright if he had a problem with sexuality and Bright instantly said no.

Quote:
Bright then told Ephram about his plans for his date with Hannah and how he wanted everything to be perfect, which really surprised Ephram and showed how much Bright had grown as a person while Ephram was away.
It was sweet and I love that Ephram is there for Bright giving him advice.

Quote:
I love how he is eating cookies. Yes, these two are best friends, indeed. I am now convinced Harold blew up and was so mean to Andy at the end of S3 because they wanted these early S4 scenes with Andy and Harold to be really sweet and proof that they can fight but they care and are super close.

Quote:
We saw Bright and Hannah happy on their date at the restaurant, but everything went south when it turned out that their waitress was someone who he had dated and dumped, and he didn’t even remember her name, and he spoke disparagingly about her to Hannah, and he told her about his “three dates and gone” rule, which concerned Hannah, as they were coming up on their third date.
Bright is so dumb.

Quote:
I felt so sad for Delia.

Quote:
It was funny seeing Hannah obsessively ask Amy about Bright’s “3 and out” rule and she asked Amy why she didn’t tell her about it, and Amy hilariously said “Did you really need for me to tell you that my brother is an idiot?” and she assured Hannah that she was ten times better than anyone else that Bright had dated and that Bright had changed.
I loved this scene between Amy and Hannah.

Quote:
We saw Harold providing the comic relief in this episode as he obsessively wondered what Andy was doing from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM every day, and he hilariously connected the cookies he had received to some romantic rendezvous with the woman in Denver who had sent those cookies.
Harold eating the cookies was the cherry on top.

Quote:
I liked seeing Ephram and Delia talk at Sam’s and it was so touching that Delia really wanted Ephram to come home and for them to be a family again, but Ephram, stubborn as ever (just like his father) was resistant to the idea, but then they both saw Amy working at the restaurant. Ephram tried to make some light-hearted conversation with Amy, but she coldly dismissed him, saying that she was busy, and the ever-perceptive Delia said “Aren’t you guys’ friends anymore?” and Ephram nervously replied that Amy and him were still friends.
This was a great part of the episode. Delia calling out Amy's name proves she feels very comfortable with her future sister-in-law.

Quote:
We saw Bright call Hannah about their upcoming date, but Hannah, thinking that this date would be their last date, cancelled their date with a really bumbling and lame excuse, which Bright saw through right away.
I am shocked Bright didn't figure it out sooner.

Quote:
I honestly do not believe Ephram deliberately took Delia out of school to piss off Andy, but I can see why Andy was mad and thought as much. Ephram really missed his sister and wanted to be with her while feeling like he had to get away from Andy. Thus, this was the only way to see Delia in the moment.

Quote:
We saw Andy confront Ephram about taking Delia out of school, and as always, father and son exchanged harsh and hurtful words in front of Delia, which was so wrong, and Andy was especially wrong to bring up Madison in front of Delia. Both Andy and Ephram can be incredibly selfish and stubborn and they both would hit below the belt whenever they argued, and they both were at their worst here, and Andy unfairly grounded Delia when she tried to defend Ephram. I think that Ephram was right that Andy was using threats to make them feel like a family, and I hated seeing that Madisongate really had destroyed all the progress that Andy and Ephram had made as father and son.
This scene was so frustrating. I just felt defeated watching more and more fighting and going in circles without any resolution. I also found myself wondering why Europe even had to happen considering they are in the same place.

Quote:
I love their scenes together in S4 so much.

Quote:
I was glad that Andy apologized to Delia and that he shouldn’t have gotten Delia mixed up in what was going on between him and Ephram and Delia said that she was mixed up in it and that she was a sister and a daughter and she had a lot of responsibilities in what was going on. Kindhearted as ever, she also said that she felt sad for Ephram because he didn’t have a lot of friends right now and it was the first time that he ever wanted to hang out with her, and she hilariously said that when he went to her school “everyone practically died,” and “two of the popular girls thought he was hot.” She then said if Ephram wasn’t going to come over for dinner anymore maybe she could have breakfast with him, and once again, I was so touched by the love that Delia has for her family, and she basically forced Andy to think about what he was doing.

Quote:
Back at Sam’s, we saw a very frustrated Nina stand up and make a speech telling everyone that Mama Joy’s was dead and that they all needed to embrace change and give the healthier fare of her new restaurant a chance, but the “wonderful” citizens of Everwood didn’t seem to listen as they sat there mutely. Another thing I caught was that all that “healthy food” emphasis seemed to come from Jake as there are plenty of places like Sam’s in California, and I think that Nina should have been given more of an input into what they were going to offer in the restaurant that she was running, especially since she knew that most of the stick-in-the-muds in Everwood were resistant to any type of change.
This storyline bothered me tremendously for multiple reasons.

Quote:
It was hilarious when Harold accused Andy of having a second family in Denver, but then he seemed hurt when Andy revealed that he had been doing surgeries in Colorado A & M, and he had to perform five spinal and brain surgeries under a local surgeon’s supervision to prove that he was up to speed on the procedures.
Harold so curious was awesome. I don't blame him for expecting the worst.

Quote:
We saw Bright go to see Hannah and Jake answered the door and they had an awkward exchange about Jake being “that guy,” and he seemed surprised that Hannah and Bright were dating, and we got the impression that Hannah didn’t care for Jake. Bright then asked Hannah what was going on, and she evasively offered him a sandwich, and then she mentioned his “three dates and out” rule and that their third date was coming up, and their argument was comical and silly and it was hilarious when Bright then walked out with the sandwich! Side note: Teresa heard that part and said “So there are silly parts like that in this show?”
I love Teresa's comment.

Quote:
We saw Harold give Andy the cold shoulder but Andy told Harold that he missed performing surgery because it was the only thing that he was good at, and that he had watched Ephram throw his gift away and run from everything, and it was hard not to wonder if maybe he had been doing the same thing, and that he was scared of falling back into the same bad habits, and that he had to find the balance somehow, or otherwise, he would never know if he had changed or if he had just been hiding. We then saw Andy have a revelation and he abruptly left and he slammed the door, which ruined the elaborate dominos game that Harold had set up, much to Harold’s chagrin.
I loved this moment so much. LOL.

Quote:
All I kept thinking about was if Delia does eventually find out about Julia's affair or the Madison having a baby (due to Ephram's "help") and giving it up for adoption.

Quote:
I liked that Bright and Hannah were honest with each other at the carnival and Hannah told Bright that he needed to apply a censor now that they were dating and not tell her everything that was on his mind, and he told her that he never wanted a fourth date with anyone until now, and he kissed her.
It was a nice scene.

Quote:
The final scene between Ephram and Amy was so heartbreaking as he asked her what he should do, and she told him how it took her all summer to get over the heartbreak that she had suffered at his hands, and it broke my heart when she said “I can’t keep crying over you, Ephram,” and when he responded that “I don’t want you to,” and he worriedly asked her if she had met someone else, and when she shook her head no, he said “Why can’t we go back to being friends, like always?” and Amy poignantly said “But we were never friends. Not really. I mean, do you remember a time when there wasn’t something hanging over us? Something I wanted to say but didn’t, something you wanted to say but couldn’t? I can’t do it anymore,” and she said that they could still talk, but they couldn’t go back, and Ephram had to pay the price for his callous and heartless treatment of the young woman he loved so much but whose heart he had shattered into a million pieces.
Fireworks and a necessary scene. I just love how there's always hope no matter what is going on with our couple.

Quote:
In the final vignette, we saw Bright and Hannah on their date, Andy happy that Ephram had left the check that he had given him, and Ephram in his car forlornly looking in at Amy as she cleaned up at Sam’s and Amy sadly looking out as Ephram pulled away.
Ephram spent the entire episode practically watching Amy walk away, work, etc. He just watched her realizing what he lost because of his poor treatment several months ago. We tried to warn you from our screens, Ephram.

The check being left there was great and like I said, Bright and Hannah have cute scenes but I can't help but look ahead thinking about what is to come as well.

Quote:
Overall, I thought that this was an incredibly touching and poignant episode as the key characters that we’ve all come to love took the next steps in their lives.
S4 is such high quality and reminds me so much of classic S1. Only Everwood.

Last edited by jediwands; 09-12-2022 at 07:24 AM
Old 09-12-2022, 11:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediwands (View Post)
Which I love!

That’s such a good point. I wonder if the scenes were cut or we just weren’t meant to see it and imagine instead. I never thought of this before. We missed those moments!
I believe that even though these writers are excellent for the most part...continuity is not their strong point. They often stick in random stuff for the sake of the story and it makes absolutely no sense when remembering the history of the show. I can´t think of any other episode where Ephram had a conversation with Edna. Ephram intereacted with Irv more than he interacted with Edna!

Quote:
That’s so true. I really do wonder what Ephram expected from Amy. Did he think they’d go into friends mode easy? Was he maybe thinking Amy was acting distant before he left for Europe mainly because she was stressed over Rose? Did he remember how devastated she was when they broke up and she gave him the necklace back at his house? I’d love to know what Ephram thought was mostly likely to transpire between them. We know what he ultimately wanted based on the postcards reveal, what he says to Andy later and how he asked Amy if she met anyone else. But I’m wondering what he thought Amy would want right away when they first saw each othe
r.

He is being a clueless idiot!

Quote:
Felt the same way. I’m shocked the Townies didn’t start yelling at him.
They were too busy looking for Apple juice!!

Quote:
I hated how Ephram told Andy he owed it to him. Not acceptable. Even if you wanted this you should have phrased it in a way that was not insulting your father making it seem like you should get whatever you desired because Andy should feel guilty and ashamed for trying to protect you, right or wrong.

Delia looked so upset.
Delia was probably wondering what the heck Ephram is talking about? Why does Andy owe him that? What did Andy do?

Last edited by everwoodfan52; 09-12-2022 at 11:48 AM
Old 09-12-2022, 01:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
I believe that even though these writers are excellent for the most part...continuity is not their strong point. They often stick in random stuff for the sake of the story and it makes absolutely no sense when remembering the history of the show. I can´t think of any other episode where Ephram had a conversation with Edna. Ephram intereacted with Irv more than he interacted with Edna!
I think you’re right on. The only moment I can think of is when Ephram went to Jake to get tested for STDs and he had an awkward moment with Edna. Edna went to Jake later and chewed him out. That is the only Ephram and Edna moment I can think of.

But I suppose Ephram might have deliberately gone to Edna because she was the bride and he wanted ti personally congratulate her.

Quote:
He is being a clueless idiot!
Unfortunately, yes.

Quote:
They were too busy looking for Apple juice!!

Quote:
Delia was probably wondering what the heck Ephram is talking about? Why does Andy owe him that? What did Andy do?
Exactly right. It must have been so confusing for her. Yes, what did Andy do in Ephram’s mind to think he fully supported him in every way and he was moving out expecting the support. So weird.
Reply   Post New Thread