Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2022, 02:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Oh my god Summerland!!! Such insane nostalgic memories of that show my goodness.

Quote:
How are their opinions irritating? I'm scratching my head at anyone who was expecting the podcast to be nothing but positive about the show, especially given how awful Mark Schwahn was to the three ladies and how his toxic attitude found it's way into the writing, some of which is pretty problematic and hasn't aged well at all, so I for one am glad that those three are rightfully calling out the stuff in the show that does not work anymore and praising the stuff that does. I saw some people on Reddit complain about how they were too "harsh" on Lucas which I strongly disagree with, fact is he did a lot of bad stuff in season one and even back the day he was being called out on this very forum, so its not like their criticisms are unfounded or brand new.

I dont expect them to love everything about the show. Not at all... I genuinely love all of the actresses and I love listening to them and they have amazing opinions on things and I like that they are calling out the show for its crappy stuff but i don't think its consistent at all. I do agree with all the crap they are saying about how the women were not treated fairly and they were treated like sex objects a lot and there was misogynistic writing etc etc. All the behind the scenes stuff is great. But when it comes to the storylines the characters I dont aagree with a lot.

For one, Peyton is my favorite character. And to me, i see them praising Brooke CONSTANTLY. Even in season 1 when she had major faults and horribel moments they still just constantly make excuses for her saying shes really a sweet girl deep down using this persona as a cover. And while I do agree somewhat, I dont think thats entirely the truth. Like they tried to say she was really a virgin... yeah right. And they just excuse all her bad behavior.

They also love Haley, but I get that , because Haley was a pretty level-headed and mature character in season 1. Im hoping they are more honest in their opinions of her in season 2 th...

But they really don't praise Peyton enough. At all. They feel bad for her sometimes but they do not talk about her character to the level of the other two. In fact, Hilarie mentioned how hated Peyton was. And yes, she was, but she also had a hell of a lot of fans. They talk about her mystery all the time but never her strong moments and the moments and reasons why I personally love her, so its kind of crappy to listen to sometimes.

Then, they call out Lucas constantly on the horrible things hes done and bash his character a lot, but Nathan can do no wrong in their eyes. Again, unfair. Yes lucas deserved the bashing over the nikki thing but not everything he does it horrible or stems from him wanting tobe a playboy? Despite the terrible deciions of the writers, in season 1 I truly feel that Lucas was genuine as a character. He made mistakes but he wasnt purposely out to hurt the girls or pin them against each other. They say horrible things about Lucas/Peyton and how its not deep at all and praise Jake and Peyton but like, LP were a super significant relationship. They tried to say in thehotel scene that it was super unrealistic, it didnt make sense etc and they couldnt see the emotions thre? Like they try to claim Lucas is just messing around but it was so obvious in season 1 that he genuinely cared for Peyton... They act as if he was just playing the girls but thats not what happened? He was tring to date brooke to move on from peyton and he couldn't...

They joked about LP's kissing being SO FAST and that Lucas is saying he loves Peyton so early, yet said nothing when Nathan and Haley kissed the next episode??? They praised that kiss. They also talked about how sweet the naley wedding was without talking about how insane it is that they got married earlier and everyone was just okay with it???

On top of all of that, they rooted for Deb and Keith which I find so weird. Didnt call out Keith for his weird behavior with Karen like getting all pissy when she rejected him and propsing SO FAST even though they were not dating... Deb and Keith slept together and they were rooting for it! How was that okay? And they constantly root for the girls doing crappy tings because its "funny" yet if a guy does it then its gross.

To me they have clear biases and are picking and choosing what storylines they like without looking at the big picture.

I also find it a bit strange they talk relentlessly about how uncomfortable they were with everything including kissing scene and how they didnt want to do them etc. Yet Hiarlie is praising Joys kissing scenes on the soap and saying how hot they were and they are talking about wanting to see more of keith and debs kisses... like, wouldnt they understand then why people like watching romantic scenes and stuff?

On top of that, they tend to go off track a lot and talk about random things in their life, which is great for their fans but the point is to watch the show and comment on the show I thought... Some episodes they really give no care to and don't discuss to the depth they could. That last reason is more just a personal complain because Im sure people love hearing about their real lives but i am kinda bummed its not like the old podcasts where we get to see them react to it.

Last edited by Alexa; 01-21-2022 at 02:24 AM
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
and they don't completely excuse all of her bad behavior, that's just not true.
I have never heard them call her out so far... The only thing they touched on very briefly was her racist comment towards felix... but even then they didnt bash brooke, they just blame it on the writers.

and i am totally fine with them finding a deeper meaning behind her actions i just wish they would do the same for peyton.

they talk about how great joy and sophia were constantly in scenes but not really Hilarie...

Since you dont really like Peyton I think it makes perfect sense that you don't see/notice it.

Please let me know what episodes/moments they praised Peyton a lot??

Quote:
They never said Nathan could do no wrong, don't know where on earth people get that from,
Sorry but you keep saying "people" when really, its me you're talking to....??? like Im saying these things. Ive listened to the podcast.

They didnt like nathan for like 2/3 episodes but then after that have only praised him.

Obviously the writers made a lot of mistakes with Lucas, but it wasnt their intention to make him skeezy, and i think the girls are right for calling out the terrible writing, but i dont think its right to bash lucas because that clearly wasnt his motivation.

I mean they have a right to their opinions i just dont think they understand the characters in the same way some of us do... like you said they dont know the show as well. They played the parts but they didnt watch it week to week and multiple times through.

Quote:
I fail to see anything wrong with them rooting for Keith being with Deb,
Seriously? She wasnt divorced from Dan, thats cheating. She knew Karen and Keiths relationship with one another as well. Less about Dan imo. Sure Karen had rejected Keith but her and Deb were becoming great friends so it was crappy of both Keith and Deb to do. I mean if you dont see anyhting wrong with that then im not sure what to say...

Quote:
even after watching the early seasons I still wasn't completely sold on Leyton as a couple as they really did feel rushed to me.
How as it any less rushed than NH??? Naley met in episode 3 and were kissing in episdoe 8. Basically already a full blown couple at that time. Lucas had feelings for Peyton for years before they started talking, Peyton was slow to let him in. The kiss was a dare, and it jumpstarted them to finally give into their feelings... And then after that they didnt get together. THe show put them off more. The entire time lucas was trying to date Brooke he was still in love with Peyton and wanted to be with her.

Im sorry but I just dont see how you can possibly think that is rushed.

What is rushed, Lucas randomly having feelings for brooke in 210 after spending one episdoe with her.

Quote:
In season 2 they explained how the show did a good job setting up the Naley wedding so that it didn't come off as weird and I have to agree.
????? seriously???? Absolutely not . Haley wouldnt have sex with Nathan for the longest time yet she was apparently ready to get married. It just amde no sense dealing with Haleys character. And teenage marraige is completely unreralistic and ridiculous. I wish they would ahve called it out more.

Quote:
while I liked the scenes of their characters making out, they did feel kind of male-gazey and like they were done through the eyes of men who were doing what they wanted a teen romance to look like.
This is a teen drama. For Teens. Litearlly every show out there has kissing and frankly, watching relationships adn love and romance is a lot of peoples favorite part/reason for watching tv shows. It certainly is one of my favorite parts. So to agree to do a show and be completley uncomfrotable aobut romantic scnes is weird to me. the hot tub scene, something entirely different due to the sexyness of it and the topless (that i understand) but hilarie mentioned any kisses in gneneral. she was apparently freaking out about lucas kissing her stomach like... idk. I find it a bit ridiculous but again, thats just me.

Its hard hearing them complain about being actresses and being popular and the thingss they have to do when so many people would kill to be in their positions and have their career and opportunities they get. I think thast fine to complain about to one another but to do it on a public podcast idk...

Quote:
It just seems like you were looking for a podcast that largely echoed your own thoughts on the show.
Absolutely not. I like it for the most part otherwise I wouldnt be listening. But just because we love the show and the girls doesnt mean we have to praise everything they do or all their opinions. And its not about them agreeing with my opinon its them being hypocritical with specific scenarios.

On the opposite of that, do you just agree with literally everything they say because you like them? lmao

Clearly we have different opinons on the show so obviously you arent gonna unederstand my frustrations with the show but i am glad I wasnt the only fan feeling this way. And should everyone just hold their tongue and pretend to love everything about the podcast? No. As long as fans arent being rude I think they have a right to voice frustrations.

Last edited by Alexa; 01-23-2022 at 08:37 PM
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 09:16 PM
Administrator

I completely agree with you Alexa that the actors on these shows usually don't know as much about the shows they were in than the fans do, because the actors just do their scenes while the fans watch the shows week to week and they rewatch the shows in their entirety (like we're doing now) and they pick up on things that the actors wouldn't necessarily pick up on because the fans are seeing the whole picture.

I also agree that people have the right to criticize shows or podcasts as long as they aren't being rude.

Well said.

There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why - I dream of things that never were and ask why not. - Robert F. Kennedy
Jerry D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 11:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Ditto. Completely agree as well with your take/thoughts, Alexa.

Hilarie is my favorite actress on the show, Peyton is my favorite character (and Lucas/Peyton for a pairing ) so it sounds like this podcast is definitely not for me. I just rather not get aggravated if I can help it and sounds like that’s what might happen should I tune in.

Yes, being critical of shows and podcasts is just fine and even encouraged (to express true thoughts) as long as you are not coming across as rude.

Last edited by jediwands; 01-23-2022 at 11:07 PM
jediwands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 07:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I moved the OTH discussion over to the OTH thread so that we can keep this thread for Everwood discussion. Please continue this current OTH discussion Here
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:19 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Thanks a lot, Betty!

Head on over there, everyone!
Old 01-24-2022, 08:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediseermic (View Post)
Thanks a lot, Betty!

Head on over there, everyone!
Welcome!!!
everwoodfan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 02:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwoodfan52 (View Post)
Welcome!!!
Reply   Post New Thread