Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-17-2013, 02:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i hope you can see it! actual footages from the play!
Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

oh wonderful!! thank you!!
But I will hold as long as you like
Just promise me we'll be all right
Jacob & Liz
Old 11-19-2013, 04:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

enjoy!
Old 11-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Loyal Fan

I just read (on the FB page of R + J) that R + J's last performance will be 8th December. I guess, this would be because of The Hobbit's promotions?
Old 11-20-2013, 07:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

maybe, and thanks for that! they had originally announced to January I believe but it might be because of that
Jacob & Liz
Old 11-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

dang it. i was hoping it was january, b/c then i could've planned to see it for my bday.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

awwww maybe just a holiday break then resumes in January?
Jacob & Liz
Old 11-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i hope so!! i'm currently lacking $$ to go see it now.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:47 PM
Fan Forum Star

the root of all problems!
Jacob & Liz
Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

ugh, seriously... better paying job=less money for me.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Star

cruel irony!!
Jacob & Liz
Old 11-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

it is!

and, reposting from the news thread... b/c now it's official.

Quote:
ROMEO AND JULIET, Starring Orlando Bloom and Condola Rashad, Extends Through December 8 on Broadway

It was announced today that the Broadway production of Shakespeare's timeless love story ROMEO AND JULIET, starring international film star Orlando Bloom in his Broadway debut opposite two-time Tony Award nominee Condola Rashad, will play two weeks past its originally announced 14-week limited Broadway engagement - with a final performance set for Sunday, December 8, 2013, after 27 previews and 93 regular performances at the Richard Rodgers Theatre (226 West 46th Street). Directed by five-time Tony Award nominee David Leveaux, Romeo and Juliet began previews on Saturday, August 24, 2013 and opened on Thursday, September 19, 2013.

The production also stars Tony Award winner Brent Carver (Kiss of the Spider Woman) as Friar Laurence, two-time Tony Award nominee Jayne Houdyshell (Well, Follies) as the Nurse, Tony Award winner Chuck Cooper (The Life, "House Of Cards") as Lord Capulet, Christian Camargo (All My Sons, "Dexter") as Mercutio, Roslyn Ruff (The Piano Lesson, The Help) as Lady Capulet, Conrad Kemp (HBO's "The Girl", Jerome Salle's Zulu) as Benvolio, Justin Guarini (American Idiot, Women on the Verge...) as Paris, Corey Hawkins as Tybalt, and Geoffrey Owens as Prince Escalus. Completing the cast areDonte Bonner, Joe Carroll, Don Guillory, Sheria Irving, Maurice Jones, Eric Loscheider, Spencer Plachy, Michael Rudko, Tracy Sallows, Thomas Schall, Carolyn Michelle Smith and Nance Williamson.

The creative team includes Scenic Designer Jesse Poleshuck (Sly Fox), Costume Designer Fabio Toblini, Lighting Designer David Weiner (The Normal Heart, Grace), Sound Designer David Van Tieghem (The Lyons, Doubt), and Hair DesignerDavid BrIan Brown (Death of a Salesman, Follies).

While Romeo and Juliet is the most famous love story of all time, this production marks the first time in 36 years that the play has been produced for Broadway. This version of the classic tale retains Shakespeare's original language but has a modern setting in which members of the Montague family are white, and the Capulet family are black.

One of Shakespeare's best known and most beloved plays, Romeo and Juliet belongs to a tradition of tragic-romances dating back over 500 years. The famous youthful lovers first appeared in Italian novella in the 1500's and gained popularity in England after being adapted and translated into English by Arthur Brooke in 1562. As described in Brooke's poem, "The Tragical History of Romeus and Juliet" - on which Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" is based - while the Montagues and Capulets are from different "races" or "stocks" their deadly feud is not based on their race, but rather on the "grudging envy" of men of "equal state." In this new production, the members of the Montague household are white, and the blood relatives of the Capulet family are black. While race defines the family lineages, the original cause of the 'ancient quarrel', passed down by successive generations to their young, has been lost to time. Shakespeare's dramatization of the original poem sets the two young lovers in a context of prejudice, authoritarian parents, and a never ending cycle of 'revenge.' Against this background, the strength of their love changes the world.

The last time Romeo and Juliet was produced on Broadway was the 1977 Circle in the Square production featuring Paul Ryan Rudd and Pamela Payton-Wright. Other notable New York productions include: The Public Theater's 2012 gala staged-reading at the Delacorte Theater starring Kevin Kline and Meryl Streep; the Royal Shakespeare Company's 2011 production at the Park Avenue Armory starring Sam Troughton and Mariah Gale; The Public Theater's 2007 Shakespeare in the Park production starring Oscar Isaac and Lauren Ambrose; the 1986 Shakespeare on Broadway for the Schools repertory production starring Geoffrey Owens and ReGina Taylor; The Old Vic Company's 1956 production at the Winter Garden Theater starring John Neville and Claire Bloom; as well as the 1940 Broadway production starring Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh.

Orlando Bloom is appearing with the permission of Actors' Equity Association. Conrad Kemp is appearing with the support of Actors' Equity Association pursuant to an exchange program between American Equity and UK Equity.
Source
Old 11-20-2013, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

sorry bb!!
Jacob & Liz
Old 11-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

aww so near yet so....

Chris, have you seen the video?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Fan Forum Star

I finally did Gill!! I loved the clips of the play so much!!!
Jacob & Liz