Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Master Fan

Oh, Im sure itll be available to download on the 'net in no time.

...not that Im encouraging such behaviour, mind.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:23 PM
Master Fan

No, why should you.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna *coughdownloadcough* it anyhow, so yeah.

Old 09-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergirlhero

And maybe you'd want to bring over the good review that you posted over at EL?
This the one?
Since it is so good i'm going to post it in the thread with a spoiler warning.

**SPOILER WARNING**

Quote:
Crowe's vision for ‘Elizabethtown,' Kentucky is an effort that won't be forgotten
By BRIAN T. KEHL

Critics of Cameron Crowe's film "Elizabethtown" have said the movie is too long, lacks cohesion and is plagued by bad acting.

Those criticisms can be mostly ignored. While the movie is a bit long and there is an occasional rough spot of bad acting and lack of focus, they do not take away from the fact that Crowe has created an excellent film, at least according to many of the roughly 250 guests invited to attend its U.S. premiere at The Movie Palace on Saturday.

Theater patrons were treated to a director's cut, which is 18 minutes longer than the official version that will hit theaters nationwide Oct. 14.

Like many of his past efforts, "Elizabethtown" has been labeled a romantic comedy. There is, indeed, romance between lead actors Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst, and there is also more than a fair share of comedy.

But this film can't be pigeonholed that simply.

It is a film about a shoe designer and his massive and dramatic failure in creating a design so bad it costs his company nearly $1 billion.

As Bloom's character Drew Baylor contemplates an elaborate and hysterical suicide, the phone rings and he is told his father died while visiting his childhood home in Kentucky. He is sent by his mother and sister to take care of the body and arrangements, and mingle with a side of the family he barely knows.

On the way, he meets Kirsten Dunst's character, Claire Colburn, and the drama unfolds from there.

Local viewers will enjoy the many scenes of Kentucky, including Louisville, Versailles and — very briefly — Elizabethtown itself, as well as the many small-town Kentucky idiosyncracies that are so prevalant here they are hardly noticed. While Elizabethtown as a literal place may only have a few short frames, the essence of the community and of the rural South, is captured.

More than that, though, the film actually is a combination of stories rolled into one.

It is the romance, as well as the story of reuniting with family and the interaction that ensues. It is also a story of self-discovery and a return-to-the-road movie. More than anything, though, Crowe said, it is a movie about the relationship between fathers and sons.

Despite an untimely death, Baylor's father makes his presence felt in every scene, including a climatic cross-country road-trip Baylor undertakes with his father's ashes at the end.

The film also deals with Kentucky stereotypes, but not in a negative way. Instead, it focuses more on the concept of Southern hospitality and outspoken characters.

There are strong performances from all the leading actors, as well as extras. So much so that some viewers will be reminded of gatherings of their own families.

That, more than anything, is the connection Crowe has created. This movie to one extent or another is accesible on a personal level to nearly everyone, if not through the experiences then certainly through the music.

It would be a shortcoming to mention Cameron Crowe without music. Starting as rock journalist when he was still a teen and later marrying Heart guitarist Nancy Wilson, his films are known as much for their musical montages as for their acting.

"Elizabethtown" is no exception. Music ranging from Elton John to Louisville band My Morning Jacket and many others sets the tone for most of the scenes before the actors ever get a chance to speak.

Most of the dramatic scenes not only are punctuated but created by Crowe's choice of songs.

Many of the songs have made their way onto the soundtrack, but not all and it is those songs you don't expect that have the biggest impact.

Especially touching is Elton John's "My Father's Gun" played more than once, in scenes that illustrate the relationship between Baylor and his father.

The consensus of most reviews so far has been "There is a great movie in there somewhere, but it's too long." They are partially right. There is a great movie, no matter how long it is.

**END SPOILERS**
Old 09-18-2005, 11:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the article.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:17 AM
Master Fan

do we know when the UK release date is yet? i went to see pride and prejudice last night and for the first time saw the elizabethtown tralier - loks fantastic and cant wait to see it.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:15 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for bringing that over, Carm. Its such a good review.

What? You want me to spit in my hand? We're Scully and Mulder.
I don't know what that means.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Supreme Fan

GAH. I'd really like to read a good review, but I don't want to spoil myself! boo. I'll just have to take satisfaction in that you've all said it's a good review

I saw the movie poster yesterday at Borders and smiled

Thank you Lemurian
icon by: Bleeding_Muse
"Well he won't be so happy when he discovers his wife is a fruit-munching monster! -Merlin
Old 09-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Supreme Fan

Here is another positive review and this one doesn't have any spoilers.

The Gate

Quote:
If you are a fan of Cameron Crowe's stuff (and even though he has never made a bad movie there are still some out there who find his stuff a bit to bland and wishy washy), then you will probably fall in love with Elizabethtown. Crowe seems to function best when he is dealing with autobiographical or semi-autobiographical subjects -- and this film was inspired by his deeply personal reaction to his own father's death, so this film certainly fits in that category.

Orlando Bloom stars as a genius in the running shoe design field who has just had his first career misstep, and it is a big one. All of a sudden he is no longer such a hotshot and in the midst of dealing with this he finds out that his father has just died and he must travel to Kentucky to attend the funeral. On that flight to Kentucky he meets a eccentric but lovable flight attendant, played very nicely by Kirsten Dunst and it is through his growing relationship and infatuation with her that he learns a lot about the relationship he was struggling to have with his father.

Elizabethtown is a complex little movie that deals in some pretty big ideas and emotions. Cameron Crowe navigates the way for us with his usual blend of humour and wit and pathos and drama -- all told stylishly and entertainingly.

Orlando Bloom has been the subject of a lot of speculation (not to mention tabloid attention) on whether or not he has the chops or experience to carry a movie. Upon a repeat viewing of Kingdom of Heaven I was a bit less sold on him that on the first viewing -- but I am still of the opinion that this guy is the real thing. He is terrific in this movie.

Other fine performances are delivered by Alec Baldwin and Susan Sarandon.

Elizabethtown will get a big release in the theatres as it is a big studio movie (produced in conjunction with Tom Cruise through his production company) so its reception at this festival is not crucial in the overall -- but it is a solid movie that is a delight in a lot of ways.

8 out of 10
There is a VERY positive review up at AICN.

The Orlando part:

Quote:
The great: Orlando Bloom, Alec Baldwin (not much screen time, but he's great), whoever the guy is who plays Chuck, the humor, the soundtrack (does anyone incorporate music into a film better than Crowe?). Plus it just feels like a Cameron Crowe movie, and that's a great feeling.
And another one here

The Orlando part:

Quote:
The movie is carried by Orlando Bloom, who shows far more range and emotion that he’s ever hinted at before- and really gets the job done well. Here he has to show a full range of emotions ranging from frustrated to happy, to angry to confused…and he does them all like a pro.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:23 AM
Fan Forum Star

Love all the reviews about Orli's preformance in the film. I keep seeing trailers everywhere.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:05 PM
Supreme Fan

Harry at AICN absolutely loved ETown and Orlando.

Quote:
As you can probably gather, I love this movie. I love it because in watching the film, I found I really did love Orlando Bloom as an actor without a sword and a cape. This is a film that has Orlando slow down and be a human being. Not an Elf. Not the all-powerful Blacksmith. Instead, he’s just a guy that’s never slowed down to appreciate much of anything in life. Whose cel phone has never not not ringed. He’s got a great expressive face in this film, he wears weary well. He seems a wisp of a man here, worn out too soon. He’s great in the film.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:01 PM
Supreme Fan

Well reviews are certainly looking up that's wonderful that so many are complementing his acting (well deserved i'm sure)

tonight I was watching the season premier of LOST and they showed a tv clip for Elizabethtown and it was like an extra surprise inside pays off to sit through all the other lame boring commercials LoL

I don't think anyone's posted it yet (I hope no one has, but i'm slow on the uptake sometimes ), but there's a new "webisode" at hollywood.com a sorta "making of" it's not real long, but it's got small clip-its of orlando and kirsten and cameron crowe

http://www.hollywood.com/movies/mm/nav/1/id/2445044

Thank you Lemurian
icon by: Bleeding_Muse
"Well he won't be so happy when he discovers his wife is a fruit-munching monster! -Merlin
Old 09-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks Terriberri21!
Old 09-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Supreme Fan

There is also a 9 minute scene from the movie up here.
It's part of the phone call between Claire and Drew and it's exactly how i pictured it when i read the script
Old 09-22-2005, 12:15 AM
Master Fan

Karma, you sure theyre advertising this movie better than KoH? Because the adverts Ive seen on TV havent been very good, and I havent seen too many billboards out on the street...

Downloading that now. Cant wait til it finishes (which will probably be ten hours from now).
Old 09-22-2005, 12:28 AM
Supreme Fan

I think they are. There were hardly any adverts for KoH on tv and they really only started running in the last 2-3 weeks before the release. The ETown ones have been running for the last month or so and there are still about 3 weeks before it comes out. Fox only had Orlando out on the promotional trail in the week leading up to KoH's release while he has been pretty heavily promoting ETown the last couple of weeks and that will continue till it comes out.

I just think that the general awareness for ETown is higher now than KoH's was 3-4 weeks before it's release.

Here is the cover for the ETown score.

Is it just me or is that Orlando and Sidi? Because there is no dog in the movie...