Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Absolute Fan

Episode Discussion # 406- "Great Xpectations"

The Official Dawson's Creek Board Rewatch Thread

"Great Xpectations" ~ 4x06

Synopsis:
Despite having achieved her life's dream by gaining early acceptance to prestigious Harvard University, Andie doesn't feel elated. While many of her friends have not even begun the application process, Andie just can't seem to truly enjoy this hard-earned prize. Upon learning that an underground rave has been planned just in time for her to celebrate this monumental achievement, she hopes that a new experience might help her reignite feelings numbed by anti-depressants. She experiments with a dangerous drug, with serious consequences.

Meanwhile, Dawson learns the happy news that his parents are keeping their unborn child, and he decides to join in the celebration at Gretchen's insistence. Things get a bit awkward when Gretchen invites Joey and Pacey along.

We would like to invite everyone to participate in our re-watch, be it first-time
viewer or long-time fan. This is our opportunity to relive the Dawson's Creek days and to
discuss our favorite moments, things we would like to change or maybe totally new
things we never noticed before. We will watch one episode every two weeks. Due to our different time-zones we decided to not name an exact
time and date, so everyone can decide for themselves when they watch the episode.
We will update this thread every second Friday, when we start a new episode, so all discussion
can take place in here too. Have Fun!

Synopsis posted by Pace & Jo

Angel- I love you. I try not to, but I can't stop. Buffy- Me, me, too. I can't either.

Last edited by ChristinaL80; 05-27-2017 at 06:03 PM
Pace & Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Extreme Fan

I was happy in the teaser hearing Andie got into Harvard knowing what she has been through I was glad. It did make me sad however that it was not making her feel good and she needed to try drugs to feel good. I wish Jen threw them out although Andie should not have taken them. I enjoyed the Dawson/Grethen stuff in this episode but yet I liked how Joey looked bothered by seeing Dawson/Grethen in the music store and her questioning Gretchen. This was the first EP of the season I thinkÂ* we had some Pacey/Andie interaction and she made me very sad when she is on drugs and talking to Pacey about not being over him.Â* I hated Drue in this ep and did feel for Jen as well.

My heart broke when poor Andie collapsed as Jack looked horrified. I liked that Pacey stayed at the hospital for Andie it was a nice thing to do. The best part of this episode for me though was the end scene. I just loved Dawson and Joey's talk when he told her Gales pregnant and I adored when Joey told Dawson no matter where they go from here its hard to image life without him and I liked he said he knew what she meant.Â* Beautiful scene with the water setting.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I just loved Dawson and Joey's talk when he told her Gales pregnant and I adored when Joey told Dawson no matter where they go from here its hard to image life without him and I liked he said he knew what she meant.ª Beautiful scene with the water setting.
I liked it too because Dawson didn't look so happy about what she was saying because even though she can't imagine her life without him, it wasn't in the romantic sense. She says you know what I mean and he say he does. They look in opposite directions. I didn't see a smirk on Dawson's face

KH asked about kissing her ex (JJ) in front of the cameras all day:

"Maybe there's a hint of realism?"
hshapir2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

This episode was sad too me,
here you have any, who just got into harvard a place that she always dreamed of going her whole life and she wasnt feeling to excited about it and that she needed to try drugs to make her happy. I also didnt like the fact that jen didnt just threw them away the minute she got them, i mean what was she holding them for? I alos liked how pacey stayed with andie, it was real sweet.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:30 PM
Extreme Fan

Who said it was in a romantic sense? It was just an in general type thing because he is a big part of her life and he also knew what she meant.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Extreme Fan

I loved the couch scene outside the rave with Pacey and Joey! Ahhh classic PJ moments! "And it aint pretty...but you madame most certainly are" But aside from that, I found it hilarious that the wholesome Capeside gang went to a RAVE! And Andie and the whole "X" effect, very amusing until she almost died. I thought it was funny when she was "petting" Joey and dancing all weird with Drue. But of course I was getting the whole "Drugs are bad" vibe from Paul Stupin the entire episode, but overall it was still a very good eppie!

Pacey and Joey

Proud NikitaWitter Avie User
TrueLovePJer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:25 AM
Elite Fan

I felt for Andie is this episode. Despite the great conquer, the girl was miserable and had to take drugs to feel better. She was not over Pacey and her speech to him, saying she still loved him was heartbreaking. I was glad they had some interaction at the end of the episode.

I felt for Jen too, her face when Jack talked to her was so sad.

Joey annoyed me when she tried to know from Gretchen what was going on between Dawson and her. I can't deny, I liked to see Joey bothered with DG in the music store, but that little speech about how Dawson never forgets his crushes made me angry. I was glad Gretchen put her on her place...

The end of episode was bittersweet. I liked some interaction between Dawson and Joey, they talking about growing up and celebrating the new member of Leery's family, but you can see that there was still an ocean apart them.

Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Master Fan

I dont really feel the same about Andie as most people did in this episode. It didnt seem to me that she took drugs to make herself feel better. She was more of a curious little girl to me, not someone who decided to seek out some ecstasy because she knew it'd make her feel better. None of this would have happened had Drue not given the drugs to Jen and Jen not had them on her. Not that I blame Jen or anything, she was obviously struggling with her own demons but I honestly just thought Andie was a naive little girl in this scenario and she is largely to blame. After all, she knew she was on anti-depressants and the girls bound for Harvard, she had to have known that mixing drugs with anti depressants was a recipe for disaster. I did like the things this situations stirred up though. Not that I liked seeing Jack and Jen estranged or anything but Jen dealing with her past, the Andie/Pacey/Joey issues for a split second, rearing it's head (one of the most amusing parts of this episode was drugged up Andie spilling her guts to Pacey about how great he is in front of Joey while Drue egged it one).

Other than that the episode was so cliche. I've never seen a rave like that in my life, I thought they only happened on serious European club scenes, cerainly not in borderline rural Massachusetts towns.

I liked the acknowledgement of True Love sinking, that boat was a big part of Paceys life and after it sunk there was hardly any backlash as far as the work Pacey put into it. In fact, a lot of the storylines in this season werea just a means to an end with little followup, prime example, Mr. Brooks dying supposedly had a huge effect on Dawson yet after Dawson had his money we hardly heard a work spoken of old Mr. Brooks.

I really liked the Pacey and Joey couch scene mostly because it was a moment in the life of their relationship, no drama attached, just a moment, one of the few times where they were just being a couple instead of all of this drama surrounding every move they made and word they spoke.

Gretchen and Dawson? Yawn. Dawsons hair hit an alltime low for me in this episode, I cant believe he could actually loop it around his ear, ew.

Thats all i guess. Overall and enjoyable episode.
Sugz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:00 PM
Elite Fan

Where's Jerry's old review?

I love reading those, because they are so well composed.

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Extreme Fan

Yeah I hope he is ok I may give him a PM. I also love reading his old reviews.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by COOLCAT200
Yeah I hope he is ok I may give him a PM. I also love reading his old reviews.
It's nice to read someone with a different perspective/age group ... and you can only read so many posts Pro-PJ ... so seeing a DJer post, well not only is that refreshing, but also breaking convention.

kenny | credit
smoothaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:39 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I dont really feel the same about Andie as most people did in this episode. It didnt seem to me that she took drugs to make herself feel better. She was more of a curious little girl to me, not someone who decided to seek out some ecstasy because she knew it'd make her feel better. None of this would have happened had Drue not given the drugs to Jen and Jen not had them on her. Not that I blame Jen or anything, she was obviously struggling with her own demons but I honestly just thought Andie was a naive little girl in this scenario and she is largely to blame.
I thought Andie was mostly to blame too. I understand her wanting to let loose and have some fun, but seriously, the girl was already on anti-depressents so she must have been warned about mixing drugs even over the counter drugs. Plus I wasn't sure if this was supposed to be the shows attempt at an anti-drug message or not because if it was it was a pretty weak one precisely because of that fact.

Quote:
I've never seen a rave like that in my life, I thought they only happened on serious European club scenes, cerainly not in borderline rural Massachusetts towns.
Not to mention the conveniently placed paramedics who just happened to be on the scene to save her.
coldwater1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Dawson's Creek

Old 05-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

I really enjoyed Joey seeing Gretchen/Dawson through the store window. She deserved to see him moving on and knowing at least a tiny but of how he felt to see her happy with someone else. Her looks in the car were pretty interesting as well. But I liked seeing a jealous side of Joey. Her asking Gretchen if there was something between them was definitely cute.

I'm so glad that Gail decided to have the baby and that Dawson was happy for them.

"You know what I love about that kid?"
"Everything?"
"Well yeah that, and.... he can totally take a hint."

I really loved the Jen and Andie friendship/interaction. It was cute to see both of them hanging out with one another and confiding in each other, but I'm not sure that Jen was necessarily the best influence for Andie. I don't blame Jack for getting pissed at Jen for giving Andie drugs. Seriously, wtf was she thinking? It's hard to watch Jen possibly going back down this path.

I loved seeing the entire gang together, we definitely need more moments of this.

I love that Gretchen brought up Dawson's crush to Dawson in a mature way and I loved even more how he handled it. I love that he said he just saw a friendship with them. I thought that was cute, I love their friendship. I sort of wish it has just stayed there but I like this progression.

The Andie break down was hard to watch. She was spitting out a lot of truths. Interesting that she said she was still in love with Pacey. And then mentioning the cheating and wondering if they would still be together. Totally cringey but also sad. I was glad that Pacey was having trouble with Andie being in the hospital and wanted to be alone there. It showed how much he truly did still care about Andie deep down.

The ending DJO scene might have been the first scene I saw of the entire series. I just remember watching in a hotel room back in like 2005 and remembering a DJ dock scene with Dawson's longer hair. It was such a sweet moment between the two. I really miss their interactions this season. The distance between them is hard to watch.
Alexa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
The ending DJO scene might have been the first scene I saw of the entire series. I just remember watching in a hotel room back in like 2005 and remembering a DJ dock scene with Dawson's longer hair. It was such a sweet moment between the two. I really miss their interactions this season. The distance between them is hard to watch.
That dock scene is one of my favorite DJo scenes

I miss their interactions too, but they get closer again as the season progresses
dcfriends is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread