View Single Post
Old 01-26-2020, 04:12 PM
FoxPhile
Fan Forum Hero

**** WARNING **** Here be spoilers for the next episode, Postcards from the Edge.
I've watched Cliffhanger a couple of times in the last week and the first thing that struck me is that this isn't the episode where Walter is on the side of a cliff. Yet there are so many connections between the two episodes.

Of course, at the beginning of the episode, Richard Elia pops in and gives Walter a fabulous sports car. Knowing what's coming, the ominous nature of the gift really hits you - as does the fact that, while he may have good intentions, Elia always seems to cause enormous problems for Walter and Scorpion. Follow that with how Ralph idolizes and emulates Walter and you just want to scream at Elia, "Take it back! Take it back!"

Another interesting connection is the fact that, despite their falling out, Walter saves Cabe's life in this episode. Turn around and Cabe saves Walter in the next. Of course, for both of them, this is simply what they do - they save lives. But I think it also speaks to the underlying strength of their relationship. Even when, outwardly, Walter is cutting Cabe out of his life, he cannot deny the importance Cabe in his life.

Lastly - we see two important relationships shatter in this episode - Paige leaves Walter and Scorpion, and Walter bans Cabe from Scorpion and from his life. But - both relationships are repaired in the next episode, before the end of the season. This is the way such drama is best handled. Yes, we fans were upset, speculating and gnashing our teeth for a week, but we were able to breathe more easily by the season finale. We were still left with drama and serious questions to ponder over the summer, but we weren't left with the sort of destructive conditions that cause loyal fans to give up. What happened to these writers?

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote