View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 02:58 PM
Crystal Clear
Fan Forum Hero

Sci-Fi / Mystery - TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

- The trio of Arnold Schwarzenegger, Claire Danes and Nick Stahl in a road trip story arc really allowed the movie to do intimate character/duo moments which raised the stakes and upped the intensity of the movie outside of the cliche action scenes
- The John Connor and Kate Brewster romance had a good foundation, with the backstory given that they had kissed the day before he teamed up with Arnie's character in T:2
- The female Terminator was energetic and engaging to watch

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

- Too many silly moments. It reminded me of how The Last Jedi jeopardized its meaningful dramatic themes for comedic effect when it wasn't needed. Arnold wearing pink glasses and stealing clothes from a stripper far too silly for this movie genre.
- What was the point of Kate being engaged to another guy? We're given the story that she and John are fated to be together, marry and have children yet it's totally rushed into those moments after her fiancee is randomly killed and turns into the Terminator, and therefore audiences are going to feel that her fiancee wasn't given fair treatment because she has to visibly mourn him but also recognize that they weren't fated so the moving on time period happens quickly.
- Sarah Connor being killed off screen... As a bitter ALIENS fan and someone who hated ALIEN 3 for killing Hicks and Newt off screen, I can understand why the fandom are still irritated by this.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

I think John Connor was very sympathetic. He was suffering without his mother, on the brink of suicide... Until Arnie's character reappears and gives him purpose again, and then he is filled in on his future with Kate and his life finally makes sense. I think it's powerful stuff, and Nick Stahl gives a very underrated performance. Serious, yet vulnerable. It's not the confident John Connor as played by Edward Furlong - we see that time has not been fair to John and it feels very true to life.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

Scott (Kate's fiancee) should have had a more downplayed role in Kate's life. Making him her fiancee made his death all the more fleeting and wasted because you know she's supposed to be with John and therefore there's no time to grieve for him.

+ Comments:

Great chemistry between Danes, Stahl and Schwarzenneger and the T-X is played by a worthy actress who isn't dull or cold in her acting. Sadly, the movie didn't really live up to expectations in the Terminator fandom and all their great performances go underlooked because of all the plotholes and attempts to recreate the previous 2 movies. In contrast to general opinions, I like the movie and the definitely the Connor/Brewster pairing.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote