View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 02:15 PM
Crystal Clear
Fan Forum Hero

Sci-Fi / Mystery - ALIEN 3 (Director's Cut)

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

- The cinematography perfectly reflected the bleak mood of the Prison confinement
- The score by Elliot Goldenthal was creepy
- David Fincher did a great job with the swirly shots from the POV of the alien as it chased the prisoners down hallways

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

Killing off Hicks and Newt in the opening moments of the movie was such a disgrace to the actors and the characters in the second movie. James Cameron himself has openly acknowledged his own strong feelings about this and how it destroys the family dynamic between them and Ripley that was set up in his sequel. I cannot stress enough how drastic the change in direction for the script of this movie just cast a downer on the whole experience for me. You're immediately thrown into the deep end of a new group of people who have criminal backgrounds, serving life and thus find it much harder to relate to most of these people unlike the second movie.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

Dillon, played by Charles Dutton, was so brave and willing to stand up for Ripley when everyone else was reluctant. Also, Aaron was underrated and I understood his desperation to communicate with home as he had a family to get back to.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

Golic as the annoying cliche ~idiot~ of the group who nobody wanted around and always saw the alien but couldn't really spell it out for people. Andrews was the typical arrogant boss who didn't believe Ripley's story and Clemens - although a nice man and well-played by Charles Dance - felt way too different in personality from the others and the random use of him as a love interest was just a waste of time in my opinion.

+ Comments:

I'd say guilty of being TOO dark (and this is coming from someone who usually thrives on Gothic or apocalyptic stories), too narrow in its story-telling and a complete diversion from the amazing sequel with Ripley just there to ultimately sacrifice herself, which basically eradicates the hopeful theme set forward by Cameron's movie. Great to look at but unbelievably disappointing. At least it's well-acted, particularly by Dutton and Weaver.

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote