View Single Post
Old 07-30-2019, 06:28 AM
Crystal Clear
Fan Forum Hero

Drama/Thriller: The Talented Mr Ripley

+ What did you like best about the movie? Why?

The chemistry among the cast, the dark/sexual humor of Freddie Miles (whose intelligence is deeply underestimated by people because of his macho act) and I think Jude Law and Matt Damon are at their all-time committed best in this movie. The confrontation scene between Tom and Dickie is terrifying and upsetting.

+ What did you like least about the film? Why?

The truth about Dickie's and Freddie's deaths remains undiscovered and the police are presented as deeply stupid.

I will also forever question why Dickie's father had to be such a cold-hearted jerk and so determined to believe his own (who he hadn't seen in years) was a murderer whereas he trusted Tom Ripley (a complete stranger) so willingly.

+ Who was your favorite character in the movie? Why?

Gwyneth Paltrow's Marge. Very strong, very feminine and very determined. The fact that her opinions are undermined by Dickie's father and she can spot the lies beneath the surface of Tom Ripley are much to be admired about her. Our hearts break for her in that she does not receive justice for the loss of her true love.

+ Who was your least favorite character in the film? Why?

Has to be Tom Ripley. Despite all the ways in which the movie tries to pull you into his POV and sympathize with him, what he does is ultimately illegal, immoral and selfish.

+ Comments:

Fantastic performances from the central trio (Jude Law, Matt Damon and Gwyneth Paltrow) and an ending which makes you beg for more (and for justice )

+ What would you rate this movie out of 5 stars?

Skam Italia icon
Gwen
Crystal Clear is offline   Reply With Quote