View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 03:48 PM
PhoenixRising
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer Falls (View Post)
Ok makes sense ... I enjoyed it but I like cartoons and animations
So do I, Petra. I think DC does a better job with their animated films than their live action ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedrum (View Post)
You're right, it isn't. I just want to enjoy what I see on the screen, regardless of where it comes from
You know, depending on the source material, some people call that "cultural appropriation," Rita. I know you just want to enjoy what's on the screen, but the point is that people like sum1 and I already know how much better what you see on the screen would be if the filmmakers stuck to the source material. There are three rules to adaptation:

Rule #1: Stay as close to the source material as possible, so that the dynamics of the story and character are consistent and adhere to the story logic.

Rule #2: Make changes only where necessary for the purpose of transferring the material to the screen based on time limitations and streamlining of the story for simplicity.

Rule #3: If something isn't broken, don't fix it. Changes should never be made for the purpose of artistic license, studio politics, or even worse... political correctness. If you wanna tell your own story, write your own story. But if you're adapting someone else's material, you have a responsibility to represent that material honestly and accurately.

If any changes are suggested that in no way improve on the material or are necessitated by three rules of adaptation I've just listed, do not make those changes. As the saying goes, "if just one note is out of place, the entire symphony is ruined." And if you think you can improve Beethoven or Mozart, trust me, you can't.