View Single Post
Old 06-13-2019, 06:36 AM
Heda_Khaleesi
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lg238 (View Post)

I think some people are also confused including myself. Like for example the DC birds of prey movie (an all female superhero squad) cast a black actress to play black canary (a white and blonde character). I mean I personally was disappointed with this and wanted the character to stay white, but at the same time I wanted to have a black character/actress in the movie and thought instead of having harley quinn (avillain and not part of the team in the comics) in the movie team they should've brought in Vixen a famous female african superheroe. I don't know if this makes me racist, but while I don't like white washing I also don't like black washing of characters, I prefer developping more black characters or adding existing ones that don't get enough love and recognition as in the birds of prey movie, by making a white character black they just change the skin colour but not the heritage, but by adding an originally black character that is not getting recognition (due to racism) they put much needed focus on such character's back story and culture.
i don't know these DC birds of prey movies but i think we need more representation on tv and for that we need more diverse characters written and then casted. i want a black women to be played by a black woman and the other way around but if there are only white characters written, there is an obvious lack of blacks. i think the problem might not be the casting but one step earlier, the writing and producing of different types of characters first.