View Single Post
Old 05-02-2019, 10:36 PM
bscgirl99
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonali (View Post)
agreed - how was this the same Michael that read all of snow falling in a sitting and annotated it? This writing is so inconsistent.
Spoiler:
It's very inconsistent. I get that they want to show how Michael has changed over the years, and they were doing well with it actually when he pointed out that he still didn't like Cubanos in an earlier episode. It was a subtle, reasonable step. But going from writing "sappy" Michael style comments and fondly remembering their Puerto Rican style honeymoon in Jane's room in the last episode, to laughing over the lunch box and password in this episode, doesn't compute. It's too big of a swing. Seems that even here Jennie was freaking out about Michael/JM being too perfect so she had to make sure to fix that and spell it out to us like we're five that they're different people now and they can't and won't be together so give up all hope now .

Actually in reality, Jane and Michael being different people now shouldn't even be a sign of doom. Had JM remained married, who knows what kind of changes they would've gone through together as individuals and a couple. They missed out on four years together for something out of their control, but you can tell they love each other as much as ever. This was especially evident in the last scene. It'd be fascinating to see more of a story where they get to know each other as they are now, taking the time to really reconnect (over a period of episodes and not just one). Relationships take work and involve some risk, but it's worth it in the end, more often than not. As I've said, this whole Michael story is something that has so many layers and takes time to produce results, but instead we've just had half-hearted attempts, culminating in JM going to Montana together where
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonali (View Post)
Spoiler:
Here's a gifset of that conversation, and that's pretty much what went down. Jane had been scared of Michael going back to work after the shooting and they discussed that, and if he wanted to return to work. Something married couples would ordinarily discuss after such an event. It was definitely a retcon, and the lying thing even more so. Jennie was reaching all the way back to early S1 for that, even though they discussed in their proposal about honesty in their past relationship and how things were better now. But again, she has to make sure fans are to never once doubt that it was actually always Rafael for Jane, not Michael. So she has to make sure every bit that implies otherwise is blown apart. This goes to show why doing a planned ending when so much has naturally changed is a huge misstep. But it's all whatever at this point. I'm also looking forward to when this trainwreck ends next week. I'll always love JM, but this current stuff with them is not going to be part of my canon .
Andrea ღ|Icon: madness