View Single Post
Old 02-20-2019, 11:30 AM
crazylittlecandygirl
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmag
I hate what they did to Michael in the reboot and Maria fell flat to me.

No one like our candies.
Yeah, poor New!Maria is practically non existent. She's a bar tender, that was apparently more close to Liz's deceased sister than she was to Liz. Added to that, New!Liz doesn't confide in her about Max healing her or the fact that aliens exist, she tells Kyle instead so that leaves no use or story for Maria at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmag
What is suprising is that most of them didn't have a lot of experience. Apart maybe from Shiri Appleby, and Katherine Heigl? But the rest seem to be newbies (although I can't speak for Jason Behr, I have no idea if he had a lot of roles before Roswell). So that magic on screen? that was incredible, so not expected. Casting is like a love story. Sometimes it's love at first sight, passionate love, and sometimes it's like being on a blind date hoping for a great love story and at the end of the date, being like "meh, I wish I had stayed home watching Netflix".
Some actors don't need years of experience to be perfect for a part. I think Katims and co knew what they were looking for, and found it.
Quote:
One of the reasons why there's such a nostalgia for shows from the 80's, 90's. It was a time for romantic love and friendship, fun and interesting relationships (Magnum-Higgins, for example, in Magnum, PI).Now a lot of shows, especially shows with young characters, it seems it's all about drama for drama, PC, box ticking characters and pairings. Plus the kleenex relationships.
I think TV shows in the 90's were generally better for romance and organic relationships. I think that is why people used to hardcore ship these couples so much because they were the real OTP's. The ones that genuinely loved each other and didn't forget that love after one episode and then proceed to date their best friend's ex boyfriend or something similar.

Some shows these days are too shallow. You can miss two episodes and then a character that you like will be in a completely different relationship. I remember several years ago, I was talking about this with somebody and they were like 'yeah, but it's realistic because how many people marry the boyfriend they had in high school?' and my answer to that was basically a counter question of, 'yeah but how many people sleep with the love of their best friend's life, with their best friend being O.K with it?' I think the second one is more unrealistic.
Quote:
I was more a candy but you can't deny that SA and JB had chemistry and that they sold the hell out of the Max and Liz love story. Even Alex and Isabel, who were the 3rd couple, and the harder to sell to the audience, well, the actors managed to sell it.
Oh absolutely. I wasn't a Dreamer. I LIVED for Candy, but SA and JB had chemistry in spades. Even Alex and Isabel had great chemistry with each other too, I rooted for them until the awful death of Alex.

{Kate}