View Single Post
Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM
crazylittlecandygirl
Passionate Fan

My thoughts about the reboot Pilot.... I don't know how to post a spoiler box so highlight to read.

Have just watched the pilot of the reboot. I am shocked at how uninteresting and not compelling it is, being as it's based on the Roswell High books and also our beloved series. A few thoughts... I don't like the preachy political correct undertones, about illegal immigration, Trump and feminism. We have to deal with those things in everyday life, I'd rather avoid it while I'm watching a drama. Also, I think it takes away a lot from the alien plot. Maybe it will be better in future episodes, but in this one I feel that the two things don't really mesh together very well and some of it was just forced.

Another thing I was shocked at is how uninteresting and unlikable the new Michael and Isabel are. Michael is apparently a drunk, stoner who lives in a trailer. He also doesn't seem like a very nice person. And obviously NOT as cute as Brendan Fehr, then or now. Isabel doesn't seem very pleasant either and I think the actress who plays her is very miscast. Max is cute, and looks remarkably similar to Jason Behr which I think is nice. I'm not struck with Max/Liz at the moment, I honestly don't think any of the cast have chemistry with each other. It feels like a bunch of actors who don't know each other, which is essentially true but you are not supposed to be able to tell that.

The only casting choices that I like are Alex (Caleb from Pretty Little Liars) and Kyle (Tyler from The Vampire Diaries) I think they are pretty perfect for those roles.

Sheriff Valenti is a woman too, which just seems to tick off another politically correct box and do nothing for the show.

Liz seems like a hybrid of the original Liz and Maria. She's smart like our Liz, but has crazy outbursts like Maria. Maybe that is why new 'Maria' isn't such a big part of the show. As for 'Maria', she wasn't in it much but I did actually like her. She seems cool.

Overall, I felt that the pilot was a bit of a misfire. The series 'Starcrossed' was a hell of a lot better and that got cancelled after one series.

{Kate}