View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 12:59 PM
MyrnaLynne
Master Fan

Wow, I didn't know anybody held cotillions anymore either!

And 40 is very cold for Texas. The weather is just so strange and up and down. But it's getting into the 30s over night - Brrrr! Bringing out the winter hats and scarves and all those things. I still need to put away the summer pjs and bring out the flannels. Flannel sheeets are next!

I was really surprised when I got invited to the awards dinner for Mass General Hospital, for having worked there 20 years! Even though I was retired and didn't work there! I thought it was a mistake. I guess the few (hellish) months I worked per diem for Mrs Boss after I retired, before I quit put me over the line to 20 years.

Although I actually worked there almost 30 years, but I stopped working there for a short while so they didn't count the first 12 years - 'break in service.' I was so happy because I always regretted missing out on the big fancy dinner at a hotel they give for everybody over 20 years of service, plus they give you some sort of gift too. And then, surprise, I got to go after all.

So I was surprised but happy, and since they offered vegetarian meal option and Mlette my daughter worked there part time for years too, I brought her as my guest. Mrs Boss and Wendy the Secretary were there - it was Mrs. Boss's 50 years of working there!! Wow.

It was just as lovely a time as I imagined, although it was huge - they had a sit down dinner for about 800 people in the biggest ballroom I've ever seen - it was like 4 or 5 wedding receptions put together! And they served everybody steak AND fish for the meal - filet mignon and salmon! The waitstaff was amazing too. Can you imagine preparing and serving 800 (fancy) meals!? (Or cleaning up afterwards?)

It's too bad we don't eat that stuff, but for appetizers they had the usual cheese and bread and veggies but also they had a huge seafood bar of shrimp and oysters and mussels and such (yuk), plus various charcuterie cold cuts - and an open bar. Very impressive.

Oh and I thought you got a clock or a silver bowl or something but now they gave you a code, and you could go online and pick out your gift! And they had about 20 things to choose from. Very nice. The things were all about $30-$40 gifts. Wow, I bet when you work there 65 years, they give you a Mercedes or something.

So nice end to my career and I'm getting a ladies watch with the MGH logo, as I figured in the old days when people retired, they got a watch. Mrs. Boss wanted to know if I was bored and missed working (for her). No, nope, not at all.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan