View Single Post
Old 10-04-2018, 06:13 PM
meka3000
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
I agree going back on this decision now would get a lot of backlash
Eh if it's portrayed as a biological clock ticking moment for her (whether through a surprise pregnancy or her having "a moment" where it clicks for her) I think she's entitled to change her mind back. I said in another thread this came off as a period where she's being reminded about all the negativity involving kids (Halley & Michael specifically) guiding her towards feeling this way. I can easily see her changing her mind just as much as staying the course.
Somehow I get the feeling that peoples (friends & family) expectations of what they think she should do are pushing her away on this more than anything else. (Think how Leonard's clinginess could push her away in early seasons- now imagine that with more than 1 person? Scary huh?)

She's changed her mind on whether she likes her job a couple times according to TPTB.

But like you guys I'm also nervous about Lenny. But it's also possible we're shortchanging Leonard being able to adapt to this.

I suppose I'd be less disappointed with this episode if Penny left the possibility open that she might change her mind.

I agree with her that not everyone needs to have a child to feel fulfilled with their life, but I'm not sure her current job/life as it is right now is really that fulfilling for her.
She goes back and forth between liking her job and hating it.
She never is seen thinking this job is what she truly wants to do with her life (unlike the other 6 who work in fields they're passionate about), and has never explored what else she might want to do.
She & Leonard rarely are seen doing any activities they both like together, or at the very least taking initiative in doing things the other person likes, even if they don't necessaily like the activity themselves.
Someone brought up how the group dynamics/proximity have played a role in them being together (their friends are each others friends) & how if those friends all separated it would put a strain on their relationship. I don't necessarily believe all of it, but it's is a fair point in all the friends being a catalyst in each others relationships. Can that always hold each others relationships together if a specific friend disappears from the equation?

Of course specific events can change dynamics. I thought Howardette's were possibly heading for an eventual separation in the septum deviation and their argument. And then real life wrote the plot with Howard's Mom dying which lead to them progressing their relationship to remodeling the house and living there. They also have jobs they are both passionate about.
All in all they have a fulfilling life even w/o children.

If she wants to claim that life doesn't need a child to feel fulfilling that's fine I agree. It just wouldn't be as disappointing IMO if her life right now reflected a life she finds fulfilling. Scratch that, it wouldn't be as disappointing if she was seen striving towards working for a life that is fulfilling on screen.

Last edited by meka3000; 10-04-2018 at 10:50 PM
meka3000 is offline   Reply With Quote