View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 06:47 PM
Nikki K
Elite Fan

Well, that's not correct what you said. Yes, Louise was the only child that came from his marriage and was therefore automatically legitimate. However, both of Cesare's natural children Girolamo and Camilla were eventually legitimized. Camilla grew up under her aunt Lucrezia's guardianship in the Convent Corpus Christi in Ferrara where she became a nun and later abess. Only upon taking holy orders she took the name of Sister Lucrezia.

False. I mean it'd be wrong to reduce the whole book to that. It's been a while that I read it but I think in Chapter 11 Machiavelli discusses 'Ecclesiastical principates' and how the Borgia approach almost worked but not quite. I think that was written as a proposal to the Medici who then came back into papal power to do better. All in all, I think it's more a piece of political philosphy, firstly discussing the different sorts of princedoms/states and how they are ruled and in the second part debating the qualities of what makes a ruler. It is said though that the last part is surely influenced by his having known Cesare.

Joffre's second wife Maria de MilĂ  was a lady in waiting to Henry VIII's first wife Katharine of Aragon.

True or False?

You might want to rethink marrying the lines "Kids are dead! Kids are dead!" ("Happy days are here again.").
Nikki K is offline   Reply With Quote