View Single Post
Old 07-21-2018, 04:40 AM
CloudyDreamer
New Fan

Bravo, April! That was a really well-thought out review and analysis, and I agree for the most part. I've been feeling very negatively about Octavia this season too, although I've become somewhat desensitized to her viciousness that what happened this last episode didn't surprise me at all. Unlike most people, I think I disliked her more earlier this season than now, because it was kind of obvious to me from the start that she was power hungry. I mean, she was gonna butcher an innocent old man just to please a bloodthirsty crowd! So I wasn't that surprised that she would kill her brother to gain political points. What did surprise me was how long it actually took her to finally put him in the arena, and her giving him tips to beat Indra and wanting him to win. That and her emotional breakdown this episode actually made me dislike her less than I used to. It seems she's very mentally ill and suicidal, and while that doesn't justify her actions, does make me feel sorry for her a bit.

Your Octavia/Pike comparisons are very well drawn, and I agree. Pike had good intentions and even when he committed atrocities, it was for the good of his people, while Octavia is completely self-serving. In that respect I actually have more sympathy for Pike than Octavia.

That said, I truly feel bad for Bellamy this season. To see the sister you raised so completely fallen and becoming this full-fledged monster, I can't possibly imagine how he must be feeling. My poor baby, the true MVP of this season.