View Single Post
Old 07-04-2018, 08:49 AM
secretk
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilpen (View Post)
You really could. The Andy/Ephram and Ephram/Amy scenes are just so classic Berlanti.
Definitely .

Quote:
It was such great evolution. Season 1, they were so messed up. Season 2, they were better but still with their issues. Season 3, they were okay but it was always the calm before the storm due to Madisongate. Everything blew up at the end of season only for them to pick up the pieces (pieces not just due to Madisongate, residual pieces from NYC, seasons 1-3 as a whole too) and they just found a way to make it to the finish line together. We talk about Ephram maturing beautifully during this time period. Actually, Andy matured as well. They both matured and grew both individually and as a father/son dynamic. It was a pleasure to watch it transpire. You really felt a payoff in season 4.
I agree that Andy matured too. He was not perfect either. He had a lot of issues in the beginning of the series when it comes to him being a dad. Sure he was great surgeon and doctor, but he was rather lacking in the father department.

Quote:
Definitely. I'm not sure why he stepped back some. He knew what happened when Kevin Williamson left Dawson's Creek at the end of season 2. He understood how much the show changed. Luckily he didn't completely leave in season 3 but he stepped back a bit and let Rina take charge overall while kind of overseeing what was going on. Still, his magic was lost in season 3. I don't think he would have ever constructed Hannah like Rina did, or Bright and Hannah for that matter. Hannah was initially meant to be a single white female character obsessed with Amy. This is just speculation but I will bet that was Berlanti's vision for Hannah. But when he stepped back and gave Rina the leadership role, they decided to change things up and Rina included some of her childhood into Hannah and that's the Hannah and Bright/Hannah we received.
Honestly I don't have that much issues with Hannah as a character. I don't care if Rina changed the idea behind Hannah or added something from her in Hannah. My issues were more about the fact that Hannah was too central and focused and that was not needed. If we had less Hannah even like that it would have been tolerable. Also Hannah/Bright did not make sense. I think that Bright could have had better evolution as a character without Hannah.

Honestly I would not have been interested in watching a character being obsessed in Amy. I would not have found it realistic either.

The writers just forced on us Hannah and it did not feel authentic at all. Amy and Hannah became besties with just two episodes. Bright became interested in Hannah in few episodes too. It was not realistic considering their differences. Those two relationships did not have good evolution or buildup.

Add to this the fact that we have seen Laynie/Amy friendship and we were able to compare to Amy/Hannah and it was like a night and a day. Honestly for me the biggest mistake they did is forcing on us Hannah. If they had toned down Hannah's scenes and make her less important than she was, we would not have that much issues with her. As it is, we had to watch needless scenes with her and we did not care about her enough to find those interesting.