View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Regan
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoF92 (View Post)
I thought about that too I think that widows don't have any kind of right in this society, since the wives don't really do either. they can have as much as their husbands allow but if there's something about them the men don't like, I think they can go, maybe become Marthas since they're usually infertile.if they're lucky, since we've seen the wife of a commander sent to the colonies who was played by Marisa Tomei. but what would happen to the baby probably given to someone like June's daughter was...
In the book, it's mentioned that widows are rarely seen. Best case scenario is probably that they have a male relative whose household they could join, as a companion of sorts to his Wife. I don't know if the Aunts would welcome a former Wife into their number. Martha is a possibility. It's highly unlikely that a widow would be allowed to be head of her own household.

I'll have to double-check, but I think that the widow was present for the false labour, and wearing a wife's blue dress.

As for the baby, I'd say that there'd be no shortage of Wives lining up if they see a sign for "Newborn, Free to Good Home".

Last edited by Regan; 06-21-2018 at 12:38 PM