X Fool
Part-Time Fan

Just watched

The Beginning
Drive
Triangle
Dreamland
Dreamland II

The change from Canada to LA is stark. Every episode set in the desert.
The Beginning was the movie epilogue with a bit of Gibson and Diana thrown in. Diana recovered quickly from being shot.Then again was it a set up? They are building up to the end of the Syndicate and running out of reasons to keep them. I happen to like the Gibson character as it brought some clever interaction with all the main characters. How many times does he catch Scully lying to him?

Drive is one the best X Files. The end is brutal and uncompromising in that Crump had hope which was then swiftly and coldly removed. Mulders compassion for the underdog is brought to the fore. Echoes of F. Emasculata from s2 and a nod to Speed of course. The twist being its a sound not a disease. Clever writing. Bryan Cranston was so believable. Brilliant teaser filming it like the OJ car chase. Classic. 10/10

Triangle is marmite. You either love it or hate it. The camera work is outstanding and very clever and original. Scully panicking through the FBI offices is superbly written and shot. It shows her vulnerable side where she would normally be calmer yet she knows Mulder is in real danger. Spender would have a field day at an industrial tribunal the way he is treated by his colleagues. Skinners 'Toto' line made me lol.

Dreamland should be good. Two parters usually are. There's something too silly about it which i think is down to how easily it was resolved. It should have been an all time classic which some outstanding sfx which stand up today. The ideas of people being fused into rocks had not been used before and yet ultimately its difficult to put my finger on why it wasn't a classic for me. Its like it was a great idea which had so many routes to go down apart from the strong ending needed.