View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 04:47 PM
jediwands
Fan Forum Legend

THIS is why I watch The 100 before anything else... well, there's so many reasons but these two are at the top of the list:

Quote:
I love Bellamy and Clarke’s relationship.

There has been a weird mood in fandom over the past few weeks (months, years); a frustration with a perceived idea that Bellamy and Clarke’s relationship, and the significance of it, has been downplayed in the conversation surrounding the show to the point where it is almost ‘taboo’ to talk about or celebrate how great it is.

And I do agree that it is sometimes difficult to talk about Clarke and Bellamy’s relationship; as long as Bellarke is a ‘Schrödinger’s ship’ (neither confirmed nor denied), there is a fundamental ambiguity that I personally am not keen to attempt to define one way or another until/unless the story does.

But that does not mean it is not amazing. Whatever this relationship means to the individual viewer, and however it is discussed extra-textually, it is safe to say that within the actual narrative, Bellamy and Clarke mean a hell of a lot to each other. This relationship is at the heart of the show, as Jason Rothenberg has confirmed and reaffirmed many times over.

Bellamy and Clarke are in so many ways two halves of one whole, and the show is always at its best and most hopeful when these two characters are in the same space, working towards the same goal. And The 100 has always used the status of their relationship to set the general mood of the narrative: when they are at odds, everything falls apart around them; when they are in sync and unity, good things can happen.

Of course they are not the only constellation of characters that can impact the story, but as they are also the series’ two leads, the way they play together obviously has a larger ripple effect on the narrative than, say, Murphy and Emori or Octavia and Kane. And exactly for this reason, The 100 has to push and pull the Bellamy-Clarke dynamic all the time; they are an anchor point from which both tension and resolution can spring, and both need to be doled out in careful doses.

Speaking only about how it stands right now, Bellamy and Clarke’s relationship is one of the most well-developed and evocative relationships I’ve ever seen on television, and the writers and actors should take pride in having developed it with such remarkable thought and care, committing fully to the sheer depth of emotion between them.

Last edited by jediwands; 05-09-2018 at 04:53 PM