View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 06:39 AM
MistyMountainHop
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchangelDave (View Post)
Man, I actually really appreciated Laurie as part of the Forman family. It's such a shame what happened with Lisa Robin Kelly and with Laurie's character after she left the show. Laurie was far from a nice person, but she was at her nicest when it involved her family (other than picking horribly on Eric, obviously). With better writing she could have been a much more compelling character.
ITA. Laurie was mainly used as an antagonist and the butt of ****-shaming jokes.

She's a different character for much of season 1 than she is in season 2. "A New Hope" (1x20), which was originally intended to be the season 1 finale. But Fox ordered more episodes for season 1, bringing the count to twenty-five. This is why Eric and Donna's conflict in that episode is forgotten as if it had never happened. They were supposed to be broken up after season 1 -- as the season cliffhanger.

The episode order of season 1 is really messed up. Airing dates don't match the order the episodes were intended to air for the overall story to make sense.

But back to Laurie. I wish LRK had been able to stay on in season 6. I believe her and Fez's storyline would've been completely different than what we ended up getting.

Quote:
Also Red and Kitty are the best couple on the whole show. That's one reason I really like T7S honestly, because it's so rare to find a show about teens where parents are not only central characters but also in a very loving relationship. And it's in no way boring or free of conflict, proving you don't need to have BS romance drama in order to keep things interesting (which is a huge pet peeve of mine with TV shows).
This. Kitty and Red still had the hots for each other -- and only each other -- after twenty-five years of being together. They weren't the cliche nagging wife and put-upon husband who's disinterested-in-sex-with-his-wife-but-would-be-happy-to-do-it-with-other-women, but-his-wife-still-cooks-and-cleans-and-it's-better-than-hiring-a-maid, so-he-stays-with-her. (Okay, that's a lot of hyphens. )

Quote:
Arguably, I think, T7S is a show about kids from unhappy homes of various degrees (Kelso's parents are together but with all those siblings it seems like he doesn't get much attention, Bob and Midge obviously love Donna but HOOBOY, etc.) who all find the home they need with the Formans, and I think that's really special and says a lot about the Forman family, who are at the same time a very REALISTIC family who fight and don't always see things the same way but very obviously love each other no matter what.
Again, ITA.

Quote:
Add me to the list please!
Added.

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 05-09-2018 at 06:24 AM