View Single Post
Old 11-07-2017, 07:19 AM
brianitesince2001
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSapphire (View Post)
Beth, thank you so much for this wonderful insight

It's crazy that it took him 5 seasons to tell him that considering the love between them
Do you have any ideas why Brian never said it?
It's really complicated. I want to magically blink the DVDs over to you so you can watch this show. You'd see what I'm talking about.

He never experienced love with his family, he adopted a credo later in life that he believes in f---ing, not love, romantic love is really a foreign concept to him, and most of all, it makes him vulnerable to admit his love.

Brian acts tough but he gets so deeply hurt. He knew pretty early on that Justin was able to pop his heart just like a balloon. So, for most of season one he railed against it and Justin took the fallout.

Season two he admitted to Debbie that he loved Justin. But he NEVER said it. Debbie said tell me I'm right and that you love this kid. He put his head down over his crossed arms and breathed out very loudly and very quickly. Like an intentional huff.

Debbie told him to tell Justin. He didn't. He told Justin that when he comes home he's doing exactly what he wants to be doing, "coming home to you." But what he DID do (this is ep 206) is that Justin laid out the rules and not only did Brian agree to them but he followed them to the letter. There was ONE exception. They had to be home by three but he was in jail all night b/c Michael was a smart a$$ when they got pulled over.

Deborah and I were debating when exactly B fell in love with J. I say it was love at first sight. But, he was completely confused. He didn't even recognize the feeling much less know how to process it. But, he sure didn't like it. He felt instant vulnerability. And, I think (JMO) he felt instant responsibility. He went into protection mode in 101 and it never stopped. Now, unfortunately, he also yelled at Justin a lot in season one. He was just so thrown for a loop.

Part of this railing is that he may have been madly in love but he was just about 30 (set in his ways) and he led a very solo lifestyle that was very promiscuous. As much as he loved Justin, Justin was cramping his style. And, it made him angry.

We watched for five seasons while Brian showed Justin in every way possible that he loved him. But, he still struggled right up until the bomb went off in 510. His heart and mind were fighting it because he was just so vulnerable.

By season five if Justin told Brian to bark like a dog he would have. He would've done ANYTHING for Justin. But, he couldn't say ILY and he couldn't commit to being a husband with kids.

There are so many more reasons he could never say ILY.

But, what I want to know is why did the writers allow him to say this four times in 510 then never say it again, not even to his son Gus.

Last edited by brianitesince2001; 11-07-2017 at 07:29 AM