View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 11:29 AM
AlwaysCB
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
And with five new episodes left in the series, Kaling is well aware that many fans still hope Mindy hasn't given up on marriage entirely—especially if it involves Danny now that Chris Messina has returned. Danny's absence last season was certainly felt, in large part because of his dynamic chemistry with Dr. Lahiri. "I didn't know Chris before we started the show," Kaling says. "I just met him once, and I had seen him in other things, but you have no idea if that’s going to translate into actual chemistry. I look at that movie, The Mexican, with Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt, who are two age-appropriate, good-looking movie stars, and in that movie anyway, the chemistry just didn’t translate on camera. You just can’t control it."

Kaling may not have expected fireworks between Doctors Lahiri and Castellano (or that they would have a child) in the very beginning, but she is happy the stars and planets aligned as they did. "Thirty percent of [the chemistry] is the work you put in as writers to make sure these are two kinds of characters that will be so different from each other, but will have some overlaps," she explains. "Like, they both enter a room thinking they have the solution to whatever problem is ahead. Another 30 percent is making sure you put them in interesting, sexy story lines. For instance, when when one of them needs something, the other one is the solution to it." Sometimes they're each other’s problems as well, she notes, but the secret is "really timing that out." And what about the last 40 percent of the equation? "It's what the actors bring," she says. "Chris is such a great actor. He loves women, he’s a great husband, and he loves female voices and to play this kind of part. And also, it’s just weird things in the ether you can’t quantify."

As for the final episode—and, more specifically, whether or not Danny and Mindy will end up together—Kaling is careful not to reveal too much. She does confirm that Messina is in it, but whether Dr. Castellano can redeem his season five behavior and come to his senses is still TBD. One thing's for certain: There will be romance, in some capacity. "I love TV series finales," Kaling says. "It's always the episode that everyone tunes in for, even if you've lost track of the show for a bit. I remember loving the Friends finale because I had stopped watching in college, but the dynamic of the cast was so amazing it was like I had never stopped watching. I don't know that I drew any direct inspiration from any single show for our finale, but I know [executive producer] Matt [Warburton] and I wanted people to watch it and feel closure, but in an unexpected way. We also wanted it to be incredibly cinematic and romantic. And funny, of course! Funny first, always."
https://www.glamour.com/story/mindy-...-series-finale
AlwaysCB is offline   Reply With Quote