View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 08:27 AM
ByGoneYrs
Loyal Fan

For fun I like to paint small figures and each figure can take hours. Usually I work on a couple figures at the same time, and then work on them over a period of time. Usually the figures these days are made from Resin, and the type of paints that are used are different than what was used a few years ago.

I actually have a workbench setup in my extended garage that I can leave setup all the time and work on these projects. It is quiet, secluded, and I can really focus on the painting of my figures. The paints sometimes have powerful smells that can make your head spin, so having a wide open spaces with good ventilation is important.

I focus on Fantasy figures, WW II, Civil War and etc. I also build dioramas that many of these figures are apart of. Now my interests in model rail roads also fits in with my diorama building hobby skills as well. Also I use my workbench setup to also teach some BSA Merit badges like: Collections, Railroading, Model Design & Building and Game Design. When I was a Boy Scout Troop Master, I would teach BSA Scouts in my garage a number of these skills. For me it was nice teaching these different merit badges, and in many cases inspired some of them to pick up the hobbies as well.