View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 09:57 AM
GrhmLz
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry02 (View Post)
It never really bothered me with Rumple. Rumple is usually one step ahead of everyone else.
That didn't bother me either with Rumple. He was established as the Dark One and was that way long before Regina was born. I always accepted that he was the teacher, she the student, BUT I thought in s2 it was insinuated early she was very powerful and he sought her out for that reason to cast the curse, being Cora's daughter. What was also interesting in the Rumple|Regina dynamic was that she was his one student who came so close to giving him a run for his money It made things interesting. Then ... insert Zelena. It completely revised that entire set up.

I included Rumple in the list because it applies. The difference being it makes sense in the established narrative.

Quote:
It bothers me mostly with Zelena because it keeps coming up. It's interesting that earlier in the season the EQ was able to easily take Zelena down. Zelena hadn't even managed to get to her feet yet when the EQ was ready to kill her. I think Regina was right when she said the only thing that stopped the EQ was Regina threatening to crush their shared heart. This does help me to appreciate Zelena's sacrifice of giving up her magic though because it's obvious that her feelings of self worth are based in magical abilities. I bet Regina's are a bit too, just not as much as Zelena's.
I also get the sense that Zelena held on so tightly to the magic because since the very moment she found out about Cora keeping Regina, she was in immediate competition with her sister (ie. Not counting what they told us in 'Sisters' since they didn't remember anyway and they shoe-horned that into the timeline as far as I'm concerned). Regina became skilled at her magic, used it quite often to serve her revenge, but I don't think Regina embraced her magic as her actual self-identity. I think Zelena did which is quite similar to Rumple who feels he needs the power. So in that sense, needing to be the best at magic makes sense from Zelena's own perspective. It's all she had to hold onto.

But speaking of which, I thought Zelena's magical ability was just thrown in out of left field with no explanation as to why it exhibited itself so strongly as a baby. There's seem to be nothing exceptional about her bio father who was simply a 'player' for lack of a better word and while we can assume both Zelena & Regina inherited a gift for it through Cora, no canonical story ever established that. We just know Rumple taught Cora too.

Quote:
It definitely seems Emma and Regina are both at their most powerful when they work together. I'm not sure it will be that way this season though since the Hot Seat said the final battle would be Emma's alone to fight.
Yeah, I know.

I would have preferred this final battle to be a bit more ensemble for a potential series storyline closure, with each of the main characters having their part to play in this with the Savior to all overcome it. But that Hot Seat question did say this final battle is basically all about Emma. Which is great if you're more of an Emma fan, or just an Emma fan, and feel the series is more about her than every other character but I don't and I didn't watch the show through that lens.

I'm basically just following through now for Lana scenes. And I was curious about the Black Fairy but I accept that Regina is done with any story as of now right up to the end. She'll be background and go out that way unless there is a s7 she comes back for and they place a 'hint' on where they might take her character in the future new story.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.

Last edited by GrhmLz; 04-25-2017 at 10:10 AM