View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 05:15 AM
Stay to the Lights
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I know it's a touchy subject at the moment, but I thought the book was great. I think every immigration case is different and should be treated as such. I don't have anything against immigrants, I feel for those who want to make a better life. But there are cases like Jasmine's who grew up in the US, has everything going for her -- getting a scholarship and about to go to college to realise their visas have expired, and I guess were too afraid to say anything and hoping something would come up like a bill or law that will help them.

It was a heartfelt and emotional story. I can understand how Jasmine and her family would not want to go back to the Phillipines after making a life in the US, knowing that's where they belonged, yet the government doesn't always agree.

Her father annoyed me with his negativity, preparing to be deported, even when there was hope. I guess he was preparing for the worst.

I also felt for their parents. They came to the country on temporary working visas when they got jobs with a family friend, but when that business went under and he went back home, her parents visas then were invalid since I guess they were for that particular job, so fearing of deportation, they tried to find work without having to show their papers; which worked for a while , til now.

I'm in the mind that if you come on purpose illegally, then yes, you should be deported; but if you came on a visa but certain circumstances changed that, that there should be a way to work things out especially if you have been there for a long time and its home for you. Like this story.

I was reading Melissa's author note at the end of the book how she drew on her experiences when she and her family immigrated when she was 13, and she had trouble with the immigration process and it took over 20 years to get her green card and citizenship.

Last edited by Stay to the Lights; 03-08-2017 at 05:21 AM
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote