View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 11:08 AM
Kendra Luehr
Obsessed Fan

Wow, I sure missed a lot! TFTNT, and *slips on fake glasses since I don't need them* Time to read! lol

I can't quote any closed threads, so here's me replying this way:

MistyMountainHop:

Quote:
In the show's earliest episodes, Jackie is generally obnoxious to everyone in the basement but Donna and Kelso. She pesters Eric until he "admits" the Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee. She gives Eric attitude when he brings her a Piggly Wiggly Cream Soda, the only kind of soda in his fridge, and she wanted something different -- something not in the house. She monopolizes the basement stereo, etc. For Eric, especially early on, he resents Jackie's presence. She changes the dynamic in the basement, especially because her attitude, behavior, and beliefs clash with Eric's and those of his friends'.

Basically, to Eric she's a disruptive presence, and I don't think his dislike of her goes much deeper than that.
Yeah, I remember Jackie being an obnoxious brat at first, but I was an English major, so we're always like, "MUST...FIND...HIDDEN MEANING!" in everything. If the writers had been focused more on character development than punchlines, I feel like my theory is plausible. Though I guess just about anything's plausible, since there was never any definitive proof either way.

Quote:
Of course, the showrunners didn't realize how big the fandom was for J/H (man, they didn't realize so much ). During tapings, Jud Tylor (Sam) got booed by the audience whenever she was in a scene, and the producers had to tell the audience to quit it, or they'd be kicked out.
Wow, that poor actress. :/ She was a lousy character, IMO, but she can't help that. Now that I know the writers hated Jackie, her arc in S8 makes more sense since it was just awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriosityShell (View Post)
S3: Yeah, perhaps this is a better way to sum it. While not the moral center, I do think Eric might have been the core of the group. It's his basement, it's his family that essentially adopts the other members of the group. And I get the sense that it was him who brought the core members of the group (him/Donna/Hyde/Kelso) together. For instance, I can't imagine Little!Hyde and Little!Kelso becoming friends. I have a head canon that it was them being mutual friends of Eric that brought them together. And Hyde seemed to sort of take over as 'friend adopter' as they got older. He was the one who brought Fez into the group, and he was the first one to show genuine compassion to Jackie.

Eric's animosity to Jackie stemming from Red's affection of her is something I've never thought about, and another thing that also connects her to Laurie in Eric's view. You know, I'd also like to think that Eric's increased meanness to Jackie when Laurie's not around is because he misses his sister.

Yes. It got to the point where the creators even called out those fans on the show by having Walter Jr. label her being a "bitch". Of course, it seemed that those fans didn't get the hint because the misogyny and hatred of her character only got worse as the show went on.
Your thoughts on Jackie vs. Laura are very interesting! I've seen similar thoughts on Tumblr, but not so much about Laurie as Jackie's peers, where she was possibly treated horribly as a kid, and then had this idea that she was going to outdo everyone around her. But the idea of seeing her mom in Laurie is interesting, and something I'll have to watch for to see if I agree while rewatching.

Yeah, I always thought that was funny! Like, I get that the Formans have affection for the gang, but it always struck me as funny that they still came over to hang out in Eric's basement WITHOUT Eric. lol But yeah, that's true, Eric probably did bring everyone together at some point during their childhood. Eric and Hyde always struck me as being the closest, so they were probably friends first.

LOL, that'd be an unexpected turn of events! And if Jackie accused Eric of that, he'd be so outraged. Though Jackie would never want herself compared to Laurie in any way, so that obviously wouldn't happen. haha

I remember that! In my past fandom, someone who watched Breaking Bad mentioned how Walter Jr. called Skyler a bitch, which is frustrating, because a lot of writers/producers listen to the fans and give them what they want to see. That's the biggest drawback to social media, IMO, because it's made watching TV shows almost unbearable sometimes.

Stalk me:
My YouTube My Tumblr My AO3 My FanFiction.Net My Author Instagram

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 03-08-2017 at 08:17 AM Reason: Fixed the quoting. :)