View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 09:40 AM
varo_kamry
Extreme Fan

One of my friends alerted me to this review and made the following comment, to which I completely agree: (and yes, Andrea is still with the tour)

"Glowing praise for Randy in this review! Only a handful of other reviewers from the start of the tour have been this right on with their assessments of Randy's Emcee."

Talkin' Broadway Regional News & Reviews - "Cabaret" 1/11/17

Ms. Goss is quite petite and holds her own in her scenes, but when Mr. Randy Harrison is onstage with her, watch out!

Harrison is impossible to take one's eyes off of. Joel Grey, Alan Cumming, and several others are ingrained in our minds as the Emcee. Mr. Harrison makes the role his, and then some. The fact that he sings beautifully is a wonderful surprise. Blessed with a rich baritone, he sings the songs as written, moves like a dancer, and his face coveys every emotion without ever resorting to overacting. His Emcee is more self-delusional than others I have seen. His anti-Semitism is obvious from the start and at the final curtain, when he removes his leather coat and turns to the audience with the most horrific and pitiful look on his face, my breath was taken away. Grey and Cumming both won Tonys for the role. Harrison would be a shoo-in. I can only hope that in the next Broadway revival (and you know there's going to be one ... someday) Randy Harrison will headline.