View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 04:11 AM
yulan
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
It is critical that they acknowledged some things are beyond the scope of Jim and Cindy's advice, lol.
Right It was about time.

Quote:
I forgot why Roger wanted to kill his dad ...
Because he felt like his dad was putting too much pressure on him on the one hand, and not giving him enough love on the other. And he was swallowed by his image. Unlike Jack's, it was a positive image, sort of, because his father was greatly successful, supposedly legally.

Quote:
You mean for Kelly, or the show's portrayal of sex in general after S1? I agree with your sum up of Kelly's relation to sex that season and enjoyed it for what it was. I think they needed to develop the characters more before allowing them to get more reflective and personal about it, which I also welcomed.
I meant Kelly. Well, I would totally reverse the process of her evolution in that sense. The way we saw her in the beginning, as a girl who had troublesome sexual experiences, but learned to overcome them, enjoy sex and be relaxed about it - that is what I would like to see as a result of personal work on herself. To change what she did not like, but to accept herself for everything she was. That already seemed as a result of a certain therapy actually, and I think she said she took some in Meeting Mr. Pony, although she did not say why exactly. What she missed, in my opinion, was more openness about things she was not happy about, and learning how not to blame herself for certain things (Ross Weber or relation with her father). And I really liked how relation with her father was developed by the end of S3.

But I really had a problem with the way she reflected on her sexual past from S3 onwards. She got into such an intense self-loathing, and she never fully processed it as a self-loathing also, but into projection of everything she hated about herself on the other women (Valerie was a prime example). She hated her previous self so much, and never made a peace with it. The closer she was to the lead female role, the more show got into whitewashing of her past, and blaming everyone around for things about Kelly which could not be a good example for the kids watching the show. That leads me back to your first question - no, show never actually had a relaxed attitude about sex, and Kelly was one of the central figures in the manifestation of it. Leading ladies had to be prude in that sense. Donna stayed eternal virgin (ok, not literally ), Brenda had to do a lot of psychological preparation for first sex, and Kelly had to get into rigid routine of having sex strictly with people she loved. The only way for her to have sex with someone she did not love was to be raped.

As Charles Rosin said, "We had this wonderful character named Brenda Walsh who was a proof that a girl could have sex without being a ****". According to the moral of the show, even more, girl had to be sure that THE GUY is in love with her so she could have sex with him and not be considered a ****. That was a premise in the beginning, and later it changed, but only because characters became adults. While Kelly was Brenda's sidekick, she served exactly as this opposite example - girl who has sex with someone for whom she is not exactly sure she's in love with, and who definitely does not love her, automatically becomes a ****. I think morale of her story was - girls, be careful of who you have first time with, because that will define you forever. If it's a guy who does not truly love you, it can only be a disaster. Look at Kelly, she did not do it right. Look at Brenda (lead character, wink wink), she did it right.

Quote:
I liked Brandon's journey from naive corny jokester to more arrogant and scorned dudebro later. The path kind of makes sense.
Nooo, but come on, guys, he became insufferable I do agree that the journey makes sense, but I also think, in terms of logic and my personal preferences , that cocky phase should have been temporary. Also, Brandon seemed to lose all of his insecurities, and that was not logical at all. The only post-S3 insecurity I can think of was about Kelly not loving him, from the end of S5 onwards.

Quote:
Steve/Andrea had the whole opposites attract vibe and would be a good bridge between the different social circles in the early group.
Hm, yes, but there was also no need for that bridging. Steve could helped Andrea to get closer to Kelly and Donna, but she did that via Brenda and Brandon. Later she also became closer with Dylan. And Andrea could have helped Steve to become closer with... hm, no one.

Quote:
I think at that point he was primarily a vehicle by which the audience could 'spy' on this new WBH landscape from an outsider's awe-struck perspective.
But we already had Walshes for that. I guess this was a comical version of the spying though (and also literal spying), while the Walshes were handling serious issues.

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan