View Single Post
Old 12-27-2016, 12:06 PM
playgroundDiaries
Elite Fan

Quote:
I forgot Roger Azarian (Matthew Perry's character) ended up in psychiatric hospital
Yeah, that ending does sometimes get forgotten. Perhaps this was the show pulling out the "so damn serious" big guns, unsure of whether they'd be renewed for many more episodes. It is critical that they acknowledged some things are beyond the scope of Jim and Cindy's advice, lol.
Quote:
In a way, it seemed as a darker version of Dylan's relation with his father, and it was sort of referenced that way.
I forgot why Roger wanted to kill his dad ...
Quote:
I think that relation to sex was much healthier than all soul searching and self-victimization from following seasons.
You mean for Kelly, or the show's portrayal of sex in general after S1? I agree with your sum up of Kelly's relation to sex that season and enjoyed it for what it was. I think they needed to develop the characters more before allowing them to get more reflective and personal about it, which I also welcomed.

I liked Brandon's journey from naive corny jokester to more arrogant and scorned dudebro later. The path kind of makes sense. But yeah, soft and sweet Brandon is one of the best parts of S1.

Quote:
It's very interesting to watch the relationship set-ups in season 1 that ultimately went nowhere.

Brenda/Andrea - It's really obvious that, of any of the girls, Brenda was initially suppose to be Andrea's girlfriend.

Andrea/Steve - It's obvious that their impromptu make out session was suppose to be seeds for a later exploration. One that unfortunately never came.
I can see that. It makes sense they'd want to go for that, with Andrea being a good friend (and one of the first) of Brenda's brother. Steve/Andrea had the whole opposites attract vibe and would be a good bridge between the different social circles in the early group.

Quote:
I also don't think they planned to pair up David and Donna in S1. Only when they decided to give Donna more space and time, they neutralized Kelly/David as a potential couple so he would be available for Donna. I even think they were given a step-sibling connection to make sure they were completely neutralized as a potential romance (also to integrate David more into the gang).
And this. Yeah, there's no way Donna/David was planned in S1. They're even shockingly dismissive of one another in retrospect. I like the term "neutralize" here. It's kind of like "neuturing", lol.

Quote:
Maybe in the beginning show was aiming at two different groups of teenagers, and David and Scott were like comedic duo aiming at younger teens. IDK.
I think at that point he was primarily a vehicle by which the audience could 'spy' on this new WBH landscape from an outsider's awe-struck perspective.