View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 04:47 PM
bonnie51
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireQueen (View Post)
You've been saying this for a long time At first I didn't think it was necessary to reduce the number of people who appear in every episode but I've changed my mind. You've been right all along For me it doesn't apply only to Caitlin. It applies to everyone. Almost every character has had episodes where their presence wasn't necessary.
agreed and if done right, it would further the stories. not just barry's. yes, all roads lead back to him by and large, but the show could become more balanced.

obviously regular characters have X amount of episodes or screen time they need to met. but it just pains me almost to see everyone in a room at star labs where they all have one line and the rest of the time are basically looking at each other and then barry runs off, there's a couple lines of science or something about how to beat the metahuman he's facing, then back to standing around.

the show's basically wasting characters. what it should be is having - largely joe as the police presenance - now julian with barry as csi's and iris as the reproter - then cisco and caitlin as science -

each character in their fields should have a piece of the puzzle to put together - or at least most every episode. maybe some episodes are more science and joe/iris do less, then the vice versea is also true. maybe its a meta with a big rap sheet or someone known to a community in particular so there's a need for a reporter, idk... but the point is everyone works together at putting the puzzle together by the end of the episode.

and then that is how you can introduce new characters and have it be somewhat organic. maybe someone iris meets while investigating something pops up or they were part of what was happening but hid and now is intrigued as to what she's up to. or with joe, etc... maybe there's an unfriendly cop who doesn't want to cooperate or looks more into the flash etc...

again, i don't have all the answers, clearly. but i do feel pretty confident that there is a much better way than this method of everyone stand around - make a couple one liners and alternate turns anchors or emotional catalysts for each other. sure, that's stuff has its place too but it doesn't need to happen all the time.

right now they're basically making their world really small. and i just don't know why. i think every actor or actress on the show has their merits and largely, maybe an area or two where they can maybe improve - jesse and tom maybe not quite as much but i chalk that up to experience and just being awesome but i'm sure there are fans of the show out there who wish they did something better in their scenes -

point being, use them. let their characters grow. yes, barry is the titular character and needs to be front and center, granted. 1000% true. but i think having these characters develop some on their own while still being connected to barry and being seen going off and doing things is not a bad thing.

crap, this show loves science so much have caitlin and or cisco go to some conference or some crap - we don't see all of it, lol - but maybe they run into someone who gives them an idea for barry's suit or XYZ and they come back to the team with it and maybe whoever they met there is a meta human threat or comes to town a couple weeks later etc, etc, etc. rather than just having jay show up stalking them kinda right from the beginning this introduces us to them before they enter the show full time...

in some ways basically the pre-pilot cross over with barry. he got out there, interacted with characters ands et up who barry was as a character before the pilot launched. and how they handled the flash backs with hartley somewhat, etc. they're not using these wonderful people or if they are, i don't feel like they are using them to their full potential. the show is pretty good, all things being equal, but i just get the feeling that it has the potential to be great and could be great and i hate settling for good if there potential is there for greatness.maybe the writing wouldn't be able to keep up, etc, but i'd love it if they tried to branch out a bit more and give all their characters a chance to develop more

Quote:

I don't know how to take that scene tbh. Barry sliding the coat off Iris' shoulders was suggestive but then there was no furniture in that apartment Considering how romantic the scene was I'm having a hard time picturing them doing it on the floor or the kitchen counter. I don't think it fits with their personalities or with that specific moment, especially if we have to view it as their first time I guess it can go either way and only time will tell. I'm still hoping they'll have their first time in their new furnished apartment when the show comes back from hiatus
see, that's why i initially didn't mention it. i wasn't sure either... was it just a romantic moment and kiss and etc and then maybe they eventually go back to the west family home? i wasn't really sure how to take that scene....

if it was more heat of the moment thing then sure, maybe it happens on the counter top or floor but like you said, it didn't really seem like that kind of moment... so i guess we'll have to wait and see.

if it was, that's just disrespectful. even on a show that is fairly chaste - that's just wrong, if it indeed was. heck, barry and linda got further than that if that was indeed the intro to their first time.

Quote:
they are the main couple they should be given more than those temporary ships anyway. If it doesn't happen, I'll suspect something sketchy is going on...
fair point about not comparing it to other shows. and i agree about them being the main couple. they SHOULD get if not the best scene the show has ever had, then at worst, the best scene the show's ever had when it was aired. there's no good reason for them not to. if they are at all going to try to do it justice then it certainly does need to eclipse eddie/iris and barry/patty and whatever that exactly means for the show...

if something at a later date surpasses it or comes close... its not good, but the show would have made it the original standard barer. Ideally it stands the test of time but it would not be the first show where it might not. but it needs to be better than anything we have seen. if not... then the need to look a little more closely at how the show is treating them is fair and needed... its one thing for me to not be much of a fan, but the show needs to treat them better and needs to treat them right regarding this. if it doesn't... then there could be something going on.

if patty or eddie comes back, etc... fine. whatever ends up happening ship wise, happens. but there's a difference between going in a different direction and just... the show lacking tact and respect for something that deserves and needs respect. however you feel about something there are real people playing the roles and characters and they're trying hard. i've seen couples or characters where a show's loathing of them was almost easy to see on screen. so again, it just needs to be the best of the intimate scenes the show has had. maybe a different writer or producer comes in in season 5 and writes or directs a better one, i can live with that... but not the idea of them short changing their primary couple and the story they themselves are going with right now so blatantly if that was indeed supposed to convey their first time

Last edited by bonnie51; 12-07-2016 at 04:52 PM