View Single Post
Old 11-23-2016, 06:51 PM
Antares8
New Fan

Digikey, Elektra, I'm afraid that I have to respectfully disagree with you on a few points.
The reason I think that Real!Henshaw's survival is a plot hole is that if Cadmus saved his life all those years ago in Peru, then a bunch of alien-hating fanatics knowingly allowed an alien shapeshifter to run the US government's alien-hunting division. More than that, they had definitive proof (in the form of Real!Henshaw) that the guy running the DEO wasn't the real deal, and they deliberately chose not to expose him for over a decade. It's not like it would have been hard to expose him. All they had to do was show up with Real!Henshaw and maybe get a blood sample (or a cheek swab) to prove that "Hank" wasn't human. They could have done this at any point in the last several years, and honestly, I can't imagine that the crazies wouldn't have at least tried it. The fact that Cadmus knowingly allowed a 'monster' to run a powerful government agency when they could have stopped him pretty much whenever they wanted to is massively OOC, which is why I feel that Real!Henshaw's survival is a plothole.
I agree with you that there was more to the "Jeremiah to the rescue" scene than met the eye, but I still felt like it was kind of sloppy for him to do it rather than the DEO or Kara's family. This is a subjective opinion, though, and if you liked it, then good for you. We're different people and don't have to like the same things.
Thank you both for pointing out that the DEO (cough Alex cough) probably did whip something up after Kara's first solar flare. I hadn't thought of that, and it's a really good theory.
The rest of this is a response to digikey.
In my third point from my original post, the 'double standard' to which I referred was not how Alex behaved towards Maggie but the tumblr fandom's reaction to that behavior. Winn did similar things back in the first season and the fandom reacted very negatively, but now that it's Alex's turn to act like Winn did, everyone is so sad and sympathetic towards her. I think that the differing responses to similar behaviors demonstrates a double standard within this fandom.
You are completely right in pointing out that there wasn't too much to clear out of the Cadmus lab. I honestly hadn't thought about that, but it makes sense.
I also agree that J'onn is in no mood to be partying or 'hanging out.' What I meant is not that he was excluded from friends night but that he doesn't have a shoulder to cry on. I just wish that someone was there for him, or that someone had checked up on him after the hallucinations, freaky blood test, and discovering that M'gann was a white Martian rather than a green. A big gathering wouldn't help him now, but just one or two people showing their support would make a truly horrible day slightly less miserable. Instead, he is alone, and that just makes me sad.
Lastly, I was not "looking for reasons to knock this episode." The things on my original list occurred to me as I was watching, and they contributed to my dislike of the episode. Saying that I was looking for excuses implies that I disliked the episode (for some reason that I guess I didn't post when talking about what I disliked in it?) and then went spelunking for minor flaws. It was actually the other way around.
If you liked 2X07, good for you. That's perfectly okay, just like my dislike of the episode is perfectly okay. These posts are just here to explain why I think what I think (and also my frustration, at least in the original post) because in the end, storytelling is subjective. So now that I've explained myself, could we maybe just agree to disagree? Thanks.
-Antares
Antares8 is offline   Reply With Quote