View Single Post
Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 AM
DR76
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourburst (View Post)
Looks like the rape turned into something enjoyable. Not like the book, but good enough i guess.

It might as well have been rape. After all, Elizabeth fought Ross until he had her pinned on the bed. If she had not consented, chances are he would have raped her anyway.

I find it ironic that is more important to many that Ross to maintain his "heroic image" than for the series to follow Graham's story and convey the consequences of rape in a patriarchal world or the idea that even a literary protagonist is capable of a terrible act. After all, most of the protagonists from the Buffyverse shows have proven to be capable of terrible acts . . . even Buffy. In fact, there have been other television shows and movies in which protagonists have done something terrible. Why is it so important that the uglier aspects of Ross' personality be avoided? "POLDARK" is based upon a series of historical fiction, not romance novels.

By the way, I'm not one of those who believe that only with Demelza, Ross could have made a successful marriage. He could have had one with Elizabeth, only it would have been different. In fact, Demelza and Francis could have made an interesting marriage.
"The term 'Black Magic' was originally a reference to the type of 'magic' (spiritual beliefs) done by people who were black and because of the racism of the time - 'Black=Bad'; we find the current idea of black magic meaning magic that is either bad, evil, or lesser." That is just wrong on so many levels.