View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 05:01 AM
yulan
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Season 1 is a mixed bag. I think it's the worst season of the first four "original gang" ones.
I don't know. I can never classify first 4 seasons by quality, but only by enjoyment, and I actually really enjoy S1. There is a fair number of filler episodes, but I somehow don't mind. I rewatched some stuff recently and it is actually better than I remember. Second half of the season is definitely better.

Quote:
It's very interesting to watch the relationship set-ups in season 1 that ultimately went nowhere.
I would also add Kelly/David and Donna/Steve to those you listed. I think they were totally hinting at Kelly/David as a potential couple ("popular girl and a nerd who adores her" recipe), and did not plan to make them step-brother and step-sister in S1. I also don't think they planned to pair up David and Donna in S1. Only when they decided to give Donna more space and time, they neutralized Kelly/David as a potential couple so he would be available for Donna. I even think they were given a step-sibling connection to make sure they were completely neutralized as a potential romance (also to integrate David more into the gang).

And I think they were hinting at Donna/Steve in Spring Dance, when they went there together. I guess it could have gone like - once Steve gets the hint Kelly's not into him, he hooks up with Kelly 2 (which Donna sort of was in S1). But that did not amount into much.

Quote:
Brenda/Andrea - It's really obvious that, of any of the girls, Brenda was initially suppose to be Andrea's girlfriend. They spend a lot more time together in season 1, and the summer between the school years, than later. By the time you get to season 4 and Andrea gives Brenda the muffler as a going away present these two are totally strained and don't seem like friends at all.
Yeah, they had some nice moments in S1, and I'm really sorry they did not develop better individual friendship because Shannen and Gabby were the best actresses on the show, iMO, and I really enjoy their scenes. It also made sense they would connect: they were not from Beverly Hills, they were not as rich as others, they were not blonde, they were good students, smart and interested in social issues. Kelly and Donna were really not at that point.

It is interesting that Brenda and Andrea had so many moments when they connected and one would think they became friends, yet whenever Brandon brought Andrea into conversation, Brenda was like "Andrea Zuckerman?!", like she was shocked Andrea would do something humane Then she would immediately add something nice about her, but it seemed as she was estranged from Andrea as in the beginning.

Quote:
Scott/Everyone - Self explanatory.
Well I think they did not try to connect him with anyone except David, and that was the problem. I also don't see how they would. I still don't understand purpose of his character, except to be David's reality check. Maybe in the beginning show was aiming at two different groups of teenagers, and David and Scott were like comedic duo aiming at younger teens. IDK. This way, it feels like David was already secondary or even tertiary character, and Scott was his sidekick. The sidekick of a second or tertiary character. Weird.

Quote:
Andrea/Steve - It's obvious that their impromptu make out session was suppose to be seeds for a later exploration. One that unfortunately never came.
You think they really aimed to explore them further romantically? I am more inclined to think it was just a filler/plot device to amuse us briefly in one episode. Otherwise they would have given us more hints, at least that season But fandom will regret missed opportunity forever, because they would have have been amazing.

Brenda stands alone. Because she can.
Icon by oth. fan

Last edited by yulan; 10-12-2016 at 09:44 AM