View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 10:16 PM
Slayerette89
Obsessed Fan

I’ll never forget a teaching assistant for my Victorian Literature class telling us that even Charles Dickens had to change the end of Great Expectations to be more open towards Pip and Estella ending up together because that’s what many of the readers wanted and the readers were his source of income. So the audience was an entitled bunch even back in Victorian England, let alone now, in the age of completely commodified storytelling where ppl are literally “we’re the reason your work is successful and you earn money, so you’re gonna write it exactly the way we like.” Now honestly, I don’t value mainstream tv shows as an artistic medium very much because it’s all part of the entertainment industry, but I get defensive even of mainstream tv writers when they are pushed into changing their story to please someone else. I don’t think storytelling should work like that.

Quote:
I was fine Haley pursuing her dream and agree that everyone acted nuts about her leaving, HOWEVER, it was the fact that when she was gone she didnt call anyone or keep in touch at all, like she just left her old life behind her in the dust. I mean, i realize she was busy, but not too busy to freaking call once in a while and check in. That was what bothered me.
I definitely see your point with that. But as someone who sucks at keeping contact with people (I’m that stereotypical introvert and terrible friend who initiates interactions 0.1% of times) I can’t hold it against Haley personally.

And yeah, Peyton’s people-always-leave complex combined with Ellie’s appearance is a good explanation for Peyton’s behavior.

Quote:
Quick, someone forward this to Marlene King...
Lol. I don’t watch PLL, but I’m sorry if it’s one of your favorite shows and the writing and/or fanpandering is frustrating you. That always sucks.

Quote:
I would have preferred they explore that angle instead of just having Peyton be the way she was, though. Peyton/Haley's friendship should have been about them when Haley came back, but it seemed to be about everyone but them.
So agreed. S3 would have been so much more enjoyable for me if it was PH heavy. Them as roommates is what I wanted way more than BH and BP being roommates.

Quote:
Oh OTH had its fair share of fanpandering. Just watch the end of s5 and you can see that's true. Just for instance, there are others.
Lol, definitely. Also, to this day I’m not sure if LP were written the way they were in s3 because Mark firmly planned to bring them back together or because he didn’t want LP fans to stop watching the show, so he kept putting shipbaity scenes here and there. He certainly did it to BL fans in s5.

Also agreed with all that you and everyone else said about PH. And given how positive Mark himself always was about them in interviews, I don’t get why he dropped them so easily.