View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 02:22 PM
Greysjolex
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
If you think about it, it really was AU of AU actually. Maybe on paper it made sense but as usual execution was a disaster.

In second half of S5 everyone took their roles in Dan's book. Chuck said to Louis don't let someone fiction to be your reality and in Season 5 Blair chose a safenet to avoid the messiness of a real life with her true love. How I love that scene between Serena and Blair in 5x13

Blair took the role Claire Carlyle, especially in 5x16, who was also a mixture of Serena and Vanessa. You can actually see her wearing Serena's coat in 5x18. As a character the most damage is done to Blair in Season 5 imo. she was unblairable. She became a wannabe Princess. Till the end she was the weakest of herself, where we actually see her finding her inspiration back in 5x22. Before that she even let the steering wheel to Dan, or of all people to Georgina. Could you imagine Blair like this before? She was fierce and strong and she became pod!Blair.

Serena became as you said shallow. A golden shell of herself.
Nate was struggling to become his own man.
Chuck was maybe not dead but he was out of the picture.

Oh and Dan, he didn't change that much because Dylan is actually him as he said he was the worst

See if you watch the first half of S5 again and second half (if you can stomach lol) you can see how they were paralelling first half with two. After CB's crush GG is gone and the show becomes an AU of AU (Dan's book). The idea is really intreguing but on screen it sucked.

This is really interesting I hadn't thought of it as intentional! But perhaps it was! Executed poorly of course, it was Safran after all but that is a really interesting way to look at it!
How they acted was definitely s reaction to dans book at least - Chuck got so much development and progression as a result of the realisation that he didn't want to 'die alone in a closet'. Serena was so shell shocked by her degradation (as she should be!!!) that she became even more lost as a result. She tries to find herself at the Spectator and Nate fires her. She's so isolated by Dan and Blair that she is pushed to turn to bloody gossip girl as a therapeutic release, which was never going to end well. I always think- it's just so weird that Dan tore her to shreds so badly.. Are we supposed to forget how much he loves her?? It's a Shame that in order to place Dan and Blair together they had to completely ruin Derena, by creating so much indifference in Dan, that I never bought as organic. Blair - well Blair was a complete mess after the accident, and you're right about Dan, he just doesn't possess an ounce of self-awareness, which to me is so unappealing as a character trait, since he judges everyone else. I didn't care in season 1 because he loved Serena so much, he genuinely wanted the best for her as well, so his judginess was just a vice, that all characters had. The rest of them all had flaws, of course they do, but He seemed to think he was morally superior and that was hard to stomach. But you're right, if they had handled this differently, it could have been been a lot better than it was anyway!

Was anyone happy about lily ending up with William by the way?? I don't like how he treated his daughters and he got away with so much!! That always bothered me