View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 12:50 AM
Greysjolex
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
At first thinking that Serena ended up with her love of her life and her long lost father being a part of her family again made me happy for her. If you think about it like that I am happy for her. But when I think about Dan's reverse progress as a character and not seeing on screen that he actually deserved her after all he screwed up, and her not being the character they "foreshadowed" really upsets me. I can actually pass beyond her marrying GG but she ended up as an It Girl again and that really bothers me

I agree with this completely. I think they dropped the ball on Serena's character a lot, and I think instead of seeing her how they presented her in season one (strong, beautiful, bubbly, compassionate and always kind) they started to see her as Sabrina - shallow, vapid and flighty. Which I think did such a disservice to her. Because yes her abandonment issues from her dad did have an effect on her, but it wasn't all of who she was!! Tje people closest to her (that line of BLAirs in season 6 made me laugh, because the people closest to you don't treat you like crap and not even care. But then again season 5 Blair was like a completely different person) were the ones who stopped appreciating her, and that made me so sad for her . That one episode in particular after Nate fired her, her grandmother had died and she had to deal with DB, I just wanted to give her a hug

I always think that the back half of season 5 is like a badly written fan fiction, Blair in particular seemed to slide into the role of Clair Carlisle because it was easier than facing her feelings of loss and heartbreak. But the issue is that Dan treated Serena SO poorly, I agree with you, she did not deserve that at all. I just spent countless episodes feeling so sorry for Her and Chuck, they got pounded by the writers episode after episode. I was so happy by the time 5x22 came!!!