View Single Post
Old 06-11-2016, 01:07 PM
Telepath
Obsessed Fan

The post I wrote over at previously.tv about what I think will happen with the move to CMT is also, interestingly, exactly what I want to happen.
Quote:
"How Will A Move To CMT Alter Season 5 Of Nashville?"

Well, that's simple. It won't even be the same show.

Zwick and Herskovitz are showrunners with actual integrity and character. They will bring in their favorite writers for the project. Their trademark is introspective, serious drama, not soaps.

No longer will we have to endure the guest star of the month for the quick fix of pointless side stories, because the people in charge aren't intellectually bankrupt and they do have a plan. No longer will we have to endure Nashville pampering Aubrey Peebles' sorry ass to no end. The era of preferential treatment and of writing for shock value and to extort the network is over. From now on it will be, "from each according to his and her abilities and to each according to what he or she is worth."

We'll see the best musical material given to the best singers. We'll see the juiciest and most complex acting material given to the best actors.

Mark my words, the will-they-or-won't-they of Scarlett and Gunnar is over. The multiple personalities of Layla Grant will be gone. If she is unable to convincingly portray a consistent personality, they will limit her almost exclusively to musical performances. The days of "Will Lexington, Token Gay" are at an end.

I was always invested in Nashville for its concept beyond any individual actor or actress. The concept could survive cutting half the cast. Would I want that? No, but I am overjoyed that after more than four years this project has finally been put into capable hands.

We just won the lottery, folks.
As an example, while I'm sure there are people who would disagree with me, I'm fairly okay with limiting Rayna's song time. She's not primarily a singer but an actress. She has to be given good dialog and good, complex, believable stories, and this will make Connie happy and give her a chance to shine again like she used to. Jonathan is a special case as he's both a very talented actor and a good singer - this versatility should be put to use.

Clare Bowen and Sam Palladio shouldn't play hysterical drug addict or cliché bad-boy respectively, that's not who they are, they don't believe in that material, and they aren't chameleons - they're one-note actors who are good at their job when they're given a role close to their own personality. It's time to remember what they are on the show - "you're the only boy I met who could sing as high as me", indeed. Their relationship has been one of the most frustrating aspects of the show for years because Nothing Ever Happened, and I'm not even going to beg Zwick+1 to give them a "happily ever after" story - what I do want is simply one which makes sense and right now, after what happened in the finale, what makes sense is them sticking together and working through their issues. I don't mind them fighting, I'd just really like to have a believable reason why they would be fighting. Deacon and Rayna fight and they don't get divorced!

Unlike most people, it seems, I don't think Aubrey Peebles can really sell a believable "arch villain" role. Her acting simply isn't nuanced enough for me to take her seriously. However I am fine with keeping her in the role of the petty, scheming hypocrite playing the victim card every other hour, that's the only role I've seen her perform believably. It's just a matter of the show owning up to the fact that this is what she is.

Other than that I agree with everything that jb* said. I think as long as they aren't forced to make cuts in the main cast (which we've been assured they won't) the show will probably improve from budget cuts and get more streamlined. We don't need Elton John or Christina Aguilera on Nashville. If they want to throw in some guest performances, hell, why not hire John & Jacob? I'm sure they aren't too expensive.