View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 PM
drunkalice
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotDoneAbusingYou (View Post)
Drunk Alice: Just out of curiosity, what makes Pope Paul III your favorite? Semmes an odd choice. I don't 5hink I've ever heard anyone pick a pope as their favorite historical figure.

I saw some scenes from the next episode. Now it's really hard to discuss stuff without letting anything slip. (But I will say what I did see was fantastic. 10000000000 times better than this week)

Bricelarkinfan: I never thought for a second they would kill Bash in that moment. What would have been the purpose of making him go to Scotland just for him to die before he does anything there? This isn't game of thrones haha.
It seems odd I know I'm obsessed with the Italian Renaissance so at least three of my historical faves are Renaissance popes. Farnese was a very interesting guy, a learned young man who grew up with Giovanni De Medici and was held in great esteem by his father the Magnificent. At one point for complicated political dynamics he was imprisoned in Castel Sant'Angelo and escaped from a window once made a cardinal he struggled financially for years because the Borgia pope punished him after his sister Giulia la Bella dumped him, but he became increasingly powerful and influential with the popes who came after him. He built the palazzo Farnese, perhaps the most beautiful Renaissance palace in Rome, and commissioned the Doomsday fresco from Michelangelo; while also practically founding the Farnese dinasty and opening the Concilio of Trento that changed the Church and made it as we know it. In all this he also managed to love the same one woman for all his life. And he was fun too: apparently he pretended to be sick in order to be elected pope, knowing the cardinals were prone to go for a short-lived pick
(You probably didn't want such long an explanation but yeah :lol sorry)