View Single Post
Old 01-17-2016, 09:57 AM
ollibear
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucresiare (View Post)
That's very said to read. This thread is an appreciation thread right ?
I don't always agree with Emmett's actions but I always love him. He was just a teenager, he can be forgiven.
It's sad to feel, too. I'm sad about it.

Appreciation can also mean trying to fully understand. I spend a lot of time discerning the meaning of Switched at Birth, and especially the character who had always been my favorite, Emmett.

In interviews, Lizzy Weiss keeps saying Emmett is "just a kid." She said those words after Emmett cheated on Bay in 2012, and she said them again in 2015, after Emmett broke up with Bay on the beach. I do feel that abandoning Bay during her rape crisis is much worse than the cheating incident with Simone, but I have no trouble forgiving Emmett for either of those things. Even if Emmett was 60 years old and not a kid, I could forgive him.

It's the other things that bother me. Emmett's character has been shown to be stupid and weak. The Emmett that we see does not know how to succeed without Melody, Bay, Daphne, or Skye pulling him out of scrapes. That wasn't my impression, when we first met Emmett, but it sure is now. Emmett keeps screwing up his life, and women keep rescuing him. Yet, Emmett is never there to help or rescue anyone in return. Emmett takes and takes. He never gives. At least when Daphne took from Bay, she stayed close to give back to her.

Plus, all of Emmett's over-the-top romantic words and gestures are empty, only for show. Helping Bay look for her bio-dad, the birthday billboard, the timelines, the visit to the Las Vegas movie set, none of that had any substance behind it. In re-watching old episodes, it seems manipulative now. At first, I could not understand Bay's decision to return the birthday blindfold to Melody. That was a gift, no need to return it. But I understand now. The blindfold is a symbol for something shallow. Why would Bay care to remember that moment?

Emmett's choice to appear at opportune times and tell Bay she "is" or "will be an artist" is unctuous. Emmett doesn't care about Bay or her future as an artist. Emmett is using something meaningful to Bay to maintain some kind of warped connection to her. It's gross. I want to love the character, but I can't. Emmett is written to be a jackass.

The writers may try to retcon the character next season. I'm not interested in seeing it, though. Viewers have been jerked around too much. I'm over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailpolishchick2 (View Post)
I do love Emmett but there are many times when I don't like him. I know Emmett is not perfect and I know Bay has made her own share of mistakes, however he's treated the one he claims to love more than life pretty badly. She forgave him for cheating on her. She let the Simone thing go and for him to abandon her during a RAPE crisis thing, I'm sorry but that's unforgivable. That's just me though. I'll always love him though but his behavior since he went to LA, I do not agree with and I'll be glad when they redeem himself.
It would take years to redeem Emmett, if it can even be done.

At the end of the series, Bay & Emmett will probably ride off into the sunset together, and I will feel like I am watching Bay make the worst mistake of her life. I dread that.

It's ironic, after I spent so much time wanting it.