View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 09:04 AM
katlicious
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbis diablo (View Post)
Yep. Their popularity is undeniable. They need to listen to the fans, reviews, etc.
true story from my shipper past. I worked at the cinema in 2006-2007 when POTC movies came out. I can attest that Jack Sparrow and Elizabeth aka Sparrabeth banter and kiss and Pirate Norrington's tortured soul ruggedness were major boxoffice draws. Once women find something to obsess about, they become boxoffice force to be reconed with. They see the movie 20 times, bring lots of girlfriends with them, etc. So on daily basis, I could observe and get data for 3 months (that's how long the movie played in our cinema and that's really a long run by todays's standards of fast turnovers).

Anyway, AWE swept Sparrabeth under the rug as if they never were, and clean shaved Norrington and decked him back into wig and brocade and then killed him unceremonially. Boxoffice took a nose-dive in our huge theater and everywhere else.

So, yeah. Coincidently, POTC was made by Disney and so is TFA. Sparrabeth was shipper phenomenon. Female fans were in love with Pirate Norrington. Disney knew and did nothing about it.