View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 10:14 PM
fleur captives
Passionate Fan

Liz
She smirked at the suggestion that Elizabeth Donahue's plan may have involved Philip engaging in a song and dance number for her amusement but the fact that he was the puppetmaster of the charity festivities was punishment enough in her book when it was evidently clear her feelings on Adrienne Delongpre's former husband. True to his remark that she had always been spirited, his comment that he intended to make her the evening's prized possession earned him another eye roll. Liz wasn't sure she needed his good word to become a more appealing choice for a philanthropic date; her party girl days may have been behind her but it seemed her reputation lived on. And in an audience where she had some sort of prior history with the vast majority of men under forty and a sizeable percentage of those above, it wouldn't take much work on his part or hers to fetch a decent amount of money for her grandmother's selected charity.

"I don't think I'll have much problem in that department," Liz waved off his remark, not arrogantly but also not taking her position in society for granted. "But I'll be sure to stand clear in the event of swine's blood, I wouldn't want to mess up my shoes." Without moving from her chosen spot, she jokingly held out a sandal-adorned foot for his admiration and appreciation, before readying herself to depart the balcony once more ... that is, until he posed another question, apologizing immediately as if the mere act of asking her something was somehow off limits.

"My grandmother?" she asked incredulously, wondering if she had misunderstood to whom he was referring, as she favored a straightforward approach over playing it coy. She knew there was not overmuch to share about Elizabeth Donahue, for all intents alive and well, particularly if her feelings on the man before her remained unchanged. "She's fine," Liz said dispassionately but not before adding with a devilish wink, "She would probably be better if Cadence wasn't marrying Prescott and you hadn't shown up this evening, guest of honor or not." She turned back to face him fully so he could see her expression was not one of malice or otherwise ill intent when she continued. "And if you meant my sister, I can't say she feels any differently..." she trailed off, wondering if she had misread his comment and hoping she hadn't cut too close to the bone by bringing up her sister in a direct manner.

Christian
He knew very well that he didn't misremember a single word but let the comment pass with only the merest hint of amusement apparent in his eyes. Her revised statement was little better than the one he had previously heard, and truthfully, the speed with which she concocted an equally absurd scenario in which she could express her dislike for the Sinclaire family at large was a little alarming. Christian would never say so to her face but he imagined it came easily when you had as many years of experience as Elizabeth did; somehow, he doubted the Sinclaires were the first family who she regarded with such disdain, and they would hardly be the last. He figured that overall the family was a little harder for her to handle given their close connections to her daughter's family, and by extension, two of her three daughter's daughters.

The engagement of Prescott Sinclaire to Cadence Delongpre came as something of a surprise to Christian when he had heard of it especially when considering the failed marriage between Phillip Sinclaire and Adrienne Delongpre that had ended on a sour note. The fact that Elizabeth's daughter and son-in-law would encourage such a marriage after their elder daughter suffered so harshly after the abrupt end of her own marriage was something he couldn't wrap his mind around fully. Just when Christian thought he had truly began to understand people and their motivations, there was always something new that would surprise him. The two expertly navigated the intrusion of one of the Daughters of the American Revolution, Eleanor Livingston, who praised the success of the charity ball to her friend before disappearing. Their conversation resumed without missing a beat.

"I imagine it would," he said with a derisive snort at the thought of using Frank Gallagher whiskey as an accelerant if the Sinclaires were to light themselves on fire. As if on cue, the first of the Gallagher children, Rory, appeared at the bar to engage Lynette and Sydney in conversation. Christian wondered for a moment if he had missed the obvious DO NOT FEED THE WILDLIFE sign; he would learn his lesson soon enough, he figured, when he came back missing an appendage after intruding in their conversation. The distraction was enough for him to initially misjudge the direction in which Elizabeth was steering the conversation. Her supposed amazement at his unattached status was really no great feat at all; in all the years since he had been an adult, Christian had routinely attended events at the Donahue home sans a partner, save for when involved with the absent Eden Jordan. Tonight was no exception.

But for once, her comment was not as innocent in its intent as it could have been. Christian was faintly aware that she was scrutinizing his reaction, waiting to see how he would answer, but instead he shrugged casually, only reserving the briefest of attention for the developing Lynette/Sydney/Rory situation.When she asked if he intended on entering the auction later in the evening, it was only by his good graces -- the very same that she had taught him, warning him that knowing exactly how to behave in social situations would provide a cushion to fall back on later in life when he found himself in a sticky -- that he didn't openly roll his eyes. Christian, to his credit, didn't even so much as react before answering, coolly, "I can't say that I gave the notion much thought. But if it would please you, I certainly would consider it, though I would think my money would be as equally as well-spent as my time." Make no mistake, however, if Elizabeth Donahue wanted him to sign up ... he would sign up, no questions asked, and he knew she was fully aware of that fact.

Last edited by fleur captives; 12-24-2015 at 10:11 AM